Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Odell Campbell ( )
Date: December 23, 2013 11:48AM

Just in from a reliable source.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 23, 2013 11:51AM

Shelby: LDSs Grinch that stole Christmas!

I can hear the angst from SL here at my house (Evt. WA)

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 23, 2013 11:54AM

Great news. Presumably the AG office already sent state lawyers to the 10th Circuit in Denver, so the mad dash is probably already on.

Date: December 23, 2013 11:57AM

They have and it has been denied, see related post

Date: December 23, 2013 12:03PM

I did not mean to infer that Utah cannot seek a stay. The 10th Circuit though has denied the state's first two attempts for the injunctive relief.

Once I actually read the decisions I can post additional information.

Date: December 23, 2013 12:27PM

As it appears

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 23, 2013 12:32PM

Okay, so now it goes back to the 10th Circuit Court? I know that the 10th CC wanted a denial of stay from Judge Shelby before the CC would even look at it.

Posted by: shakinthedust ( )
Date: December 23, 2013 11:56AM

Yippee! Mazel tov to all the newlyweds, much happiness always! To the bigoted naysayers: Focus on your own damn family.

Posted by: fakemoroni ( )
Date: December 23, 2013 11:59AM

LDS Twits.
Tweet:

Xxxxx Xxxxx ‏@xxxxxxx
As goes Utah, so goes the nation. ;) RT @xxxxxxx Judge Shelby denied the stay! Keep calm and marry on! #slc #MarriageEquality #Utah

Posted by: Mateo Pastor ( )
Date: December 23, 2013 01:55PM

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: December 23, 2013 04:14PM

yep, now all the heteros in Utah have to get divorced.

When can I marry my dog?

Date: December 23, 2013 12:09PM

Shelby gives LDS a lump of coal for Smithsmas!

Date: December 23, 2013 12:58PM

Judge Shelby did not grant the motion but did take it under advisement.

He could issue a stay later today or deny it.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57299146-78/marriage-sex-state-stay.html.csp

Date: December 23, 2013 01:02PM

Q: will the 10th circuit refuse to be involved as long as it's "under deliberation" (i.e. being ignored) by Shelby?

that's what the SLT reported.

Date: December 23, 2013 01:15PM

It sounds like it. Shelby may be buying time for gay couples who wish to wed.

Date: December 23, 2013 01:40PM

UPDATE: Shelby ruled against an 'EO' / stay of his ruling, about 11:15.

Now, in Denver...

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: December 23, 2013 01:41PM

any predictions on the 10th Circuit?

If it's a not from the 10th, can it go to the U.S. Supreme Court?

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: December 23, 2013 01:44PM

I'm currently in Colorado and I can hear this strange noise way over on the western horizon...the sound of Mormon and Fundamentalist Xtians heads exploding.

Date: December 23, 2013 01:49PM

If the 10th Denies, it's kinda Dead...

the SCOTUS won't touch a stay, they've set precedence, I believe.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: December 23, 2013 01:53PM

The 10th has to take the case and when they do they will most likely also issue a stay. They cannot deny an appeal that right is only reserved for the SCOTUS.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: December 23, 2013 01:55PM

"they will most likely also issue a stay."

I haven't a clue. Why do you say it will most likely issue a stay? Just curious.

Date: December 23, 2013 02:09PM

Just because that is typically how all district courts operate. I would say that it would be surprising if the 10th didn't issue a stay.

Date: December 23, 2013 02:34PM

Why would they issue a stay when they already said they wouldn't? I know they were waiting to give Shelby precedence (the Mos were out of order), but when the SCOTUS has already ruled on this, why even take it on? If they have no choice, I still don't see them issuing a stay. As Shelby already ruled, there's no logical reason to. And there are also 17 other states that have set precedence so far, not to mention the SCOTUS.

Date: December 23, 2013 02:43PM

To be clear I want this to go to the Supreme Court so we can once and for all establish national precedence that allows gay marriage.

The SCOTUS has not yet ruled on this item. Prop8 was dismissed because there was no standing for an appeal. They didn't rule on the ability of a state to define rights.

I think I stated above the 10th district court doesn't have the ability to refuse the appeal and it is GOP to place a stay on a decision while an appeal is outstanding.

Shelby refusal to issue a stay is based on the State of Utah not giving him a reason. The appeal is a reason but it is the 10th's stay to make not Shelby's.

This process is not secret and like it or not it is going to be a process. Let it work its way through the system.

Date: December 23, 2013 02:51PM

Thanks for clarifying all that. If that's the case, I hope it does go to SCOTUS.

Posted by: Lawyer ( )
Date: December 23, 2013 02:53PM

I'm confused by some of this.

First, the 10th is not a district court but a circuit court. Second, it can and has refused to issue a stay. Third, appealate courts often do issue stays but sometimes they do not. The question is whether the side requesting the stay has met the conditions necessary to justify a stay, often meaning that the refusal to issue the stay will cause irreparable harm. But it is certainly not the case that someone can take a groundless case to a district court (Shelby), be laughed out of court (Utah), and then demand that the circuit court take action contrary to the district court's decision. The circuit court is not forced to hear any request for a stay that any disgruntled plaintiff demands.

I think it is entirely likely that the 10th Circuit will (continue) to reject the request for a stay. Utah can then proceed to appeal the substantive issue without a stay in place. If the 10th rejects that appeal, Utah can take it to the supreme court. Meanwhile the marriages may continue.

My bet is that that is how it will go.

Date: December 23, 2013 03:10PM

Thanks for correcting me on the district/circuit issue, although it seemed like you were arguing seblantics when you brought that up.

All I am saying is that it is GOP to issue a stay as a result of an appeal, that no one should have expected Shelby to issue the stay, and that I would be surprised if they didn't issue a stay. (we disagree on this point) I guess we will see what the outcome will be.

Posted by: Keyser ( )
Date: December 23, 2013 04:14PM

stay has the burden of demonstrating irreparable harm, which is far from standard or easy.

Posted by: offradar ( )
Date: December 23, 2013 03:01PM

Coming from the UK and watching the events unfolding in Utah, it is astonishing that political leaders like the Utah governer, is thrashing about and making disparaging and inflamatory comments about the US president and an authorised federal judge. His remarks could be seen as an attempt to inflame and incite a public reaction causing possible wider civil disorder. Again from a UK perspective, it is beyond belief that the unofficial representatives of the Mormon church are given so much licence to represent church interests in the Utah political and the judicial process. It needs investigation as it is an unhealthy situation for residents of Utah. Congratulations to all the newly weds and long may these basic human rights continue.

Date: December 23, 2013 04:15PM

"A team of volunteer clergy and officiators filled the lobby and wandered the halls performing marriages for cheering and weeping strangers."

I would love to see these compassionate, helpful people recognized. The LDS church is not the only game in town.

Sean Reyes is Utah's new AG.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.