Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: December 23, 2013 02:25PM

I am constantly surprised at the depths that some people will go to to not understand an issue. Over the weekend I had a conversation with my wife about a case in Colorado recently that involved a bakery, a baker and statutory discrimination. My wife brought it up as an example of the slippery slope of gay marriage. I wasn't really aware of this case but I looked it up because my wife deserves an educated response. As it turns out my wife didn't give me an educated account of the case. I'm sure that all of you are aware of this but it was new to me.

In Colorado it is against the law to discriminate based on sexual orientation. A business owner did and he was told to knock it off or face some fines. Simple as that.

My wife brought up free speech and I flippantly said, well the guy doesn't have to talk to them he just can't refuse to sell them a cake because the're gay. The joys of morgland.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2013 02:29PM by jacob.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: December 23, 2013 02:28PM

The free speech rights card gets bandied aorund any time a person can't come up with a logical reason for hate and bigotry, which they never can.

But actions aren't speech.

Posted by: camelspit ( )
Date: December 23, 2013 02:44PM

If Colorado didn't have that law on the books, then could the business owner tell the couple to piss off?

If the business owner decided to tell a "tranny" couple to take a hike (girl dressing up like a guy, and buy dressing up like a girl) would he be within his business rights? Or a guy whol screws goats which one would be in trouble first.. the beastility guy or the business owner refusing to do busiess?

I'd hate to own a business because there are so many tax laws and civil laws it's hard to know if you are operating within the law at times anyway.

Posted by: schlock ( )
Date: December 23, 2013 02:54PM

Because it would be so difficult to decide who was a human being, and who was a sub-human being, so you could treat them accordingly.

Correct?

Did I miss something?

Gee, what a terrible conundrum.

"We cannot allow gay marriage to be legalized. If we do, well, I won't know if I'm supposed to have sex with a man, or a woman, or 3 women, or a goat, or an automoton. Chaos will ensue in MY life if I allow YOU to marry somebody that YOU love! Don't you see the logic?"

Really?

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: December 23, 2013 03:25PM

camelspit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If Colorado didn't have that law on the books,
> then could the business owner tell the couple to
> piss off?

Probably

>
> If the business owner decided to tell a "tranny"
> couple to take a hike (girl dressing up like a
> guy, and buy dressing up like a girl) would he be
> within his business rights? Or a guy whol screws
> goats which one would be in trouble first.. the
> beastility guy or the business owner refusing to
> do busiess?

Refusing service to a transgender person would be against Colorado's discrimination law.

Animal cruelty and abuse laws are well established and understood but you wouldn't have anyway of telling if the person you were providing the service to was abusing animals.

>
> I'd hate to own a business because there are so
> many tax laws and civil laws it's hard to know if
> you are operating within the law at times anyway.

I'm guessing a discussion in ethics would be overwhelming so I'll just say; don't be a dick.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.