Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 01:15AM

Quick summary: As of right now, the following denominations and ministries are known to have sent clergy to courthouses and county clerk's offices to perform same sex marriages in Utah: the American Baptist Church, the Congregational United Church of Christ, the Presbyterian Church, and the Universal Heart Ministry.

The following denominations are on the record as expressing support for gay marriage in Utah: The Episcopal Church and the Unitarian Universalist Church.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I am trying to determine which church denominations are participating in the courthouse marriages in Utah. According to the Washington Post, "more than a dozen clergy from different denominations set up tables in the lobby and performed on-the-spot weddings." Kody Lee Partridge and Laurie Wood, who were plaintiffs in the lawsuit Shelby decided on Friday, were married at the courthouse by an American Baptist minister who had heard about the ruling and rushed down hoping to officiate at someone’s wedding.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/utahs-battle-over-gay-marriage-is-a-sign-of-a-larger-shift/2013/12/23/82d65988-6c00-11e3-a523-fe73f0ff6b8d_story.html

Ruth and Kim Hackford-Peer were married at the SLC courthouse by the Reverend Curtis Price of the First Baptist Church of Salt Lake City.

http://darkroom.baltimoresun.com/2013/12/utah-same-sex-marriage/#10
http://www.firstbaptist-slc.org/find-out-more/staff/

Pastor Gage Church of the Congregational United Church of Christ of Ogden showed up at the Ogden clerk and auditor's office on Saturday, prepared to perform same sex marriages, but was turned away when the office cancelled a special Saturday opening. An anecdotal report states that he and his same sex partner were themselves married on Monday, after which he himself performed marriages for the rest of the day.

http://www.thehour.com/in-photos-gay-marriage-in-utah/collection_5e0ce0f0-6b55-11e3-9aea-001a4bcf6878.html

http://www.ogdenucc.org/pastor/

Board member Bezoar reports below that he and his husband were married by the Reverend Monica Hall of the Trinity Presbyterian Church in Ogden.

http://www.pbyutah.org/Churches.html

The Reverend Christopher Scuderi of the Universal Heart Ministry married Jax and Heather Collins at the SLC courthouse.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57299146-78/marriage-state-sex-stay.html.csp
http://universalheartministry.com/?page_id=2

According to board member Releve, the Reverend Connie A. Anast, a nondenominational minister, has also performed same sex marriages this week.

http://therevconnie.com/

In a related statement, Scott Hayashi, Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Utah, welcomed last week's ruling by US District Judge Robert J. Shelby.

"I rejoice that [Shelby] has struck down Utah's Amendment 3," Hayashi said, referring to the state's 2004 constitutional amendment that defined marriage as the union of one man and one woman.

"All people should have the right to due process and equal protection enshrined in the 14th Amendment," Hayashi continued. "Gay and lesbian people are human beings with hopes, dreams and the need for love. I celebrate that now they will have access to the same fulfillment enjoyed by heterosexual people. They are people made in the image of God."

The United Church of Christ and Unitarian Universalist Church played active roles in making the case against the state's gay marriage ban.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/news/religion/utah-episcopal-church-welcomes-gay-marriage-legalization/article/364536#ixzz2oMqn7zsF

Of course the mayor was performing marriages as well! Here is a nice photo of Natalie Dicou and Nicole Christensen being married by Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker:

http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/lt/lt_cache/thumbnail/908/img/photos/2013/12/21/ca/48/31ec91bf36cc468095f9bb763790a354-9ff59f32384543b2863c541b851a219c-5.jpg

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2013 01:28PM by summer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mysid ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 07:48AM

Here on the East Coast, a Methodist minister was recently defrocked by his denomination because he officiated at the same-sex wedding of his own son, and then refused to be penitent or promise that he would never do it again.

Posted by: SoCalNevermo ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 09:50AM

FYI:It is my understanding that said Methodist minister has been offered a position with the California-Pacific conference of the United Methodists.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 09:52AM

Not.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 01:02PM

No, MJ it doesn't fix everything. But, it does give this man his livelihood back and lets us know which denomination to avoid and which to embrace.

Date: December 24, 2013 01:36PM

Methodist are clearly a denomination to avoid.

Date: December 24, 2013 03:03PM

I agree. But, I am happy that he got his livelihood back. I think the old adage, "every groups has its assholes and its angels" works here.

Date: December 24, 2013 03:08PM

So, if you were fired for being a woman and only ONE company half way across the country offered you a job, you would be "happy"? I would be appalled. Unfortunately, historically there have been very few angels in Christianity when it comes to gays. The idea that they are somehow angels because it is reaching the point they must change or become irrelevant is nonsense.

Date: December 24, 2013 09:57AM

That is excellent news. Thanks for sharing it.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 08:15AM

To repeat an earlier post: why do we need the churches when it comes to marriage? Marriage is a social contract. Marriage is not a divine ritual. There are historical reasons, but here in Utah it is simply a case of the dominant church insisting that it be allowed to control everything. Thank you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2013 08:18AM by slskipper.

Date: December 24, 2013 08:19AM

The reason that I am listing names of clergy and their denominations here is to show that there are religious people in Utah who fully support gays and gay marriage. I also want to give recognition to individuals and churches who are helping out during a busy and historic time. They are authorized to perform marriages, they recognize the urgency of the situation, and they are helping out. I am not saying that religion is for everyone.

Date: December 24, 2013 09:37AM

But it would would not be accurate to claim that religion is and has been gay friendly, it has not.

Date: December 24, 2013 09:41AM

I see it as being a process, MJ. The important thing is that people and institutions are moving in the right direction in terms of ensuring civil rights.

Date: December 24, 2013 09:45AM

Yeah, I guess, they have moved from the Crusades, to the inquisitions, to preaching hate against minorities, yeah, I guess they are moving in the right direction.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 02:33PM

Let's paint all religious people with the same brush. After all, there is no difference between those performing gay marriage and Jerry Falwell.Desmond Tutu and Dr. Martin Luther King were no different than Pat Robertson.

Date: December 24, 2013 02:38PM

I will hold them accountable for what they have done. Religion is NOT the fairy-tail good thing you claim it is, NONE OF IT. A small minority does not offset the majority, which is bad,.

I love how changing doctrine of thje LDS shows the LDS as bad and false but Changing doctrin of other christian churches prove those churches good. The hypocrisy is overwhelming.

Date: December 24, 2013 02:39PM

You don't get it and never will,but that doesn't surprise me.

Date: December 24, 2013 02:43PM

Sigh

Date: December 24, 2013 02:45PM

PATHETIC, even by your standards.

Posted by: nomoinprovo ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 03:57PM

I keep looking for the Like button for your posts. If there were one I'd have pushed it.

Posted by: janeeliot ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 03:18PM

slskipper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To repeat an earlier post: why do we need the
> churches when it comes to marriage? Marriage is a
> social contract. Marriage is not a divine ritual.
> There are historical reasons, but here in Utah it
> is simply a case of the dominant church insisting
> that it be allowed to control everything. Thank
> you.

Why do we need churches when it comes to same-sex marriage? Uhm -- for the same reason we need churches when it come to straight marriages? Because those getting married want the occasion to reflect their beliefs and values? Every bride (straight or lesbian) wants HER colors, HER flowers, HER music -- and yes HER community -- which -- oh dear -- for many people includes a belief community. People -- gay and straight -- want to be married by someone they have known and trusted all their lives or by someone who share their values or simply by someone who can be trusted to say the right things. Is any of this supposed to be remarkable?

So -- you haven't figured out yet that the world includes people who don't think just the way you do? How. Very. (Quaintly.) Mormon. of. You.

But please, do go on scolding the entire world for not planning and holding weddings according to YOUR world view. It's it's it's (I'm speechless here) so very (charmingly) Puritanical of you. And goes well with that past of not recognizing marriages of others as being legitimate because they were not held in a building meeting YOUR approval.

Posted by: Cipher ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 08:26AM

Most Epidcopalian priests would probably be supportive, but are not yet permitted to officiate. They can bless unions though.

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 09:36AM

My husband and I were married by Reverend Monica Hall of Trinity Presbyterian in Ogden, Utah. We met her Saturday while we were standing in line to get married in Weber County (and later got turned away). She was moved by the news and wanted to be part of history being made. She was by our sides yesterday while we waited in line and got our license. She's our Christmas angel.

Date: December 24, 2013 09:39AM

Thank you for adding Reverend Hall's name (and that of Trinity Presbyterian Church) to the list, Bezoar. It's nice to see support from the Presbyterian denomination.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 10:01AM

I'm so happy for you and your husband. You see very few truely humanitarian and "Christian" people in religious leadership roles in Utah. So glad you had one to share your day with you.

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 10:26AM

The outpouring of love and support in Utah has been amazing. Ministers have shown up to conduct wedding ceremonies at no charge. In Weber County yesterday strangers were handing out roses to each couple that got a marriage license. Straight (and even mormon) families showed up with supportive signs to cheer for each couple at the county clerk's office. Wedding photographers took pictures all day and are posting them on-line for free download. To cut down on the crowds at the county clerk's office, Weber County sent couples to a hotel across the street for wedding ceremonies. We were cheered by people on the street when we walked to the hotel. It was an amazing day!

Date: December 24, 2013 01:05PM

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 12:57PM

Rv Connie A. Anast is a nondenominational minister who performed marriages this week.

If the point you were trying to make is that there were no Mormon Bishops performing marriages, I have to say hurray for that. If you want your wedding ceremony to be boring at the least and shaming at the worst, just use a Mormon Bishop as your officiant.

I'm happy that there were officiants of all types who made themselves available to perform ceremonies for the couples who had waited so long to have their special day.

I'm sure that there will be many "do overs" once the issue makes it through the courts and the right to marry can't be taken away.

Date: December 24, 2013 01:31PM

Thanks, Releve. I will add her name to my list.

It's really nice that ministers are marrying same sex couples without asking about their church affiliation, their worthiness, their ability to fork over ten percent of their income, or without shaming them in any way whatsoever. :)

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 01:01PM

Seems like you should be able to just go online, pay a fee and wam your married. oh, and we still can't vote online.

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 01:18PM

I belonged to the United Church of Christ (Congregational) for over a dozen years.

They are strong advocates for the rights of the LGBT community.

Here is a church locator for your area.

http://www.ucc.org/find/

To find a church with a pastor that will marry same sex couples, type in your zip code, and look for the church in your area that has this designation:

ONA: Y

This signifies: Open and Affirming: Yes

I believe Pastor Gage Church (mentioned in the OP's thread) is gay and he married his partner just a day or so ago. He is the pastor of the UCC Church in Ogden.

Good luck and congratulations!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2013 01:21PM by Senoritalamanita.

Date: December 24, 2013 01:33PM

Senoritalamanita Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe Pastor Gage Church (mentioned in the OP's thread) is gay and he married his partner just a day or so ago. He is the pastor of the UCC Church in Ogden.

Yes, he was photographed arriving at the county clerk's office with his partner. Thanks for sharing the information about the UCC, Senoritalamanita.

Posted by: perceptual ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 02:40PM

Why does marriage need to be tied to a religion? Why would a gay person ask the clergy of his religion that condemns being gay to preside over his wedding? Why do they need religion to believe in God?

Date: December 24, 2013 03:00PM

Marriage obviously does not need to be tied to a religion. Many Christian denominations are changing their beliefs about how gays should be treated -- just like our wider society. I can't help but feel that this is a good thing.

Gay people in Utah have options. That's one of the points of this post. If they want a civil (i.e. judge, mayoral, or county clerk) marriage, fine. If they want to be married by a minister, there are denominations and ministries that will be happy to marry them.

Many gay couples in Utah needed (and still need) to be married quickly. Clergy, who are authorized to marry, are voluntarily stepping up to the plate and providing a much needed service at this time. They are marrying couples without regard to church affiliation. I believe that the clergy should be recognized and commended for their service.

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 02:57PM

You don't need your marriage to be tied to religion, nor God.
Not being familiar with laws in Utah, I am only guessing that they have civil officiants like judges, or justices of the peace who can marry you at City Hall or the Courthouse.

Of course, if the officiant is LDS and frowns on gay marriage he may ruin your wedding day with a pissy attitude.

I would rather have a recently married gay pastor, who is enthusiastic in his support of joining gay couples together than some sourpuss civil wedding officiant.

Many pastors from liberal churches will let you say the vows of your choice, and will even omit the word God from the vows if that is your wish.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2013 02:57PM by Senoritalamanita.

Date: December 24, 2013 03:01PM

It is a matter of personal choice and belief. Some people want religious ceremonies and some don't. It is as simple as that and it is nice that they have a choice.

Date: December 24, 2013 03:11PM

Date: December 24, 2013 03:35PM

And they do in others and how someone chooses to marry is none of your business or anyone else's.It is.up to them and they don't need yourbapproval. To condemn the ministers who are offering their service because other ministers are bigoted is the worst kind of bigotry

Date: December 24, 2013 03:45PM

I, on the other hand, am a victim of the religious persecution because *I* am denied the choice. Yes, I would not choose to marry in a church, IF I HAD THE CHOICE, But I am DENIED THE CHOICE. That DOES MAKE IT MY BUSINESS.

It is my business, not yours.

Date: December 24, 2013 03:55PM

How you marry.is.your.business. How other people gay or straight,marry is not

Date: December 24, 2013 04:00PM

And being denied the choice of how I marry IS MY BUSINESS. I am discussing this from the perspective of how I marry. How I marry is NOT YOUR BUSINESS so but out. I am arguing for *MY* ability to choose how to marry and as you say that is NOT YOUR BUSINESS.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 03:10PM

Interesting and informative post. Thanks for sharing and summarizing--you went to a lot of work.

I found the first link you listed from the Washington Post excellent. The article is comprehensive and, in my opinion, does a terrific job of covering the battle for gay marriage rights in Utah and has interesting statistics that I have not been aware of.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2013 03:10PM by presleynfactsrock.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.