Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 07:32PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 07:42PM

It seems the 10th circuit says it does not appear there is any reasonable chance for the opponents to win on appeal. It appears no stay and gay marriage will be the law of the land through the appeals process.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 07:44PM

Most excellent!

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 07:48PM

As one of the commenters said on the KSL FB page:

Marry Christmas to all!

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 07:53PM

From article MJ linked:

"Justice Sonya Sotomayor is assigned to oversee the 10th Circuit and will consider Utah’s appeal for a stay to halt same sex-marraiges."

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: December 25, 2013 10:27AM

Hee-hee. What bad luck for Utah officials. She won't be sympathetic. They're probably wishing they had Scalia instead.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 08:15PM

And here I thought it would take years before Utah would cave. This is wonderful news!

So glad they refused the stay!

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 09:22PM

My thoughts exactly!

@CAgirl: Love the "Marry Christmas to all" line

Posted by: notamoinaz ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 08:15PM

Poor Judge Shelby is afraid the citizens will be upset and the "status quo" will be hurt. Oh, good grief. Later the Govenor's office said there has been no impact from "these" marriages. Good to see there is SOME sort of intelligence out there

Date: December 24, 2013 08:17PM

Posted by: offradar ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 08:56PM

What is the next step in the appeals process, It is strangely entertaining witnessing watching bigotry being displayed in an unedifying wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Date: December 24, 2013 09:11PM

The next step is the State of Utah will ask SCOTUS for a stay pending appeal, probably Thursday. Justice Sonya Sotomayor will likely hear the request. If Sotomayor denies the request, gay marriage will continue through the appeals process. If she grants the stay, gay marriage will stop during the appeals process.

Date: December 24, 2013 09:23PM

Sotomayor will obviously reject the request for a stay. Can the request for a stay then be taken to the entire Supreme Court?

Date: December 24, 2013 09:25PM

Every case I have ever watched go to SCOTUS that involved stays has had stays granted. This bit about not denying stays is new to me.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 09:20PM

I probably shouldn't be too surprised but I am. This is very good news.

Date: December 24, 2013 09:23PM

Be surprised. Gay activists through out the country are stunned.

Posted by: Chloe ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 10:03PM

SCOTUS has already struck down DOMA.

It will take months before Utah's appeal goes before SCOTUS and the judge over the 10thy Circuit court is - wait for it - judge Sotomayor !

LOL

Utah might as well accept defeat already.

I can't stop laughing how this all developed in a few short days.

Date: December 24, 2013 10:05PM

"I can't stop laughing how this all developed in a few short days."

Me too. A few days ago I had no idea anything was even in the works. I signed on to RFM and found out the sky had fallen. Who knew?

Posted by: Mateo Pastor ( )
Date: December 25, 2013 07:05AM

Me too. Last thursday I say a thread here entitled "Who will get gay marriage first, NM or UT?" I clicked on it to see the punchline. But it was no joke.

Posted by: offradar ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 10:12PM

It will take months before Utah's appeal goes before SCOTUS. Great news and hope you are right. Better get more popcorn in then!

Posted by: Observer-not logged ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 10:20PM

It was interesting to see this developing exactly at this time of year. Still it did stir up so many but the course of things to be has win. Congratulations to all and Merry Christmas to the newly weds!!

Posted by: outsider ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 11:20PM

Most of the emergency stays which you hear about are things such as executions where there is irreparable harm if the courts fail to act. From the order denying the stay:

“The stay pending appeal is governed by the following factors: (1) the likelihood of success on appeal; (2) the threat of irreparable harm if the stay is not granted; (3) the absence of harm to opposing parties if the stay is granted; and (4) any risk of harm to the public interest. Homans v. City of Albuquerque, 264 F.3d 1240, 1243 (10th Cir.2001); 10th Cir. R. 8.1. The first two factors are the most critical, and they require more than a mere possibility of success and irreparable harm, respectively. Nken v. Holder, 556 U.S. 418, 434-35 (2009).
Having considered the district court’s decision and the parties’ arguments concerning the stay factors, we conclude that a stay is not warranted. “

The appeals court has ruled that there is not a clear case for a successful appeal and that there isn’t indication of irreparable harm by allowing the marriages to continue.

The Supreme Court will only act if it’s blatant that the District Court should have acted. That doesn’t seem to be the case.

Although the 10th District Court has ruled that an appeal is not likely it still does not mean that it is impossible. However, reading through Judge Shelby’s original ruling, he seems to make a very solid case that this is essentially the same as Loving v. Virginia the famous civil rights case where Virginia’s law forbidding interracial marriage was stuck down.

The fact is that we know more about homosexuality than we did before. Shelby’s reasoning is that SSM is not a new right, but a new understanding of human nature and therefore, SSM falls into a category of extending marriage into a category which was has been prohibited out of ignorance. Big difference, and if the 10th District Court and then the Supreme Court (if they take it) buy that, it will change the laws for part or all of the nation.

Actually, if the 10th District Court accepts Shelby’s reasoning, or accepts SSM for another reason, and allows the state constitution clause to be invalidated, similar law suits all over the nation will force the issue.

Game over anti-SSM bigots. We win.

Posted by: notinthislifetime ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 11:39PM

The irony of it all that Utah could and probably will play a big role in further states legalizing ssm is just too delicious. This is the most exciting thing to happen in Utah since polygamy was outlawed.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 11:40PM

If there is proof that there is a god with a sense of humor, this is it ;)

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 11:55PM

Does God hate the mormons?

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: December 25, 2013 10:29AM

he has every reason to

Date: December 25, 2013 10:36AM

Come on now, everyone knows that the success of gay marriage is due to Satan and the Mormons will have to work harder to defeat Satan. It will remain so until the Prophet has a revelation saying otherwise.

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: December 25, 2013 11:32AM

Make the Yuletide Gay on Joseph's Smith birthday!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.