Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: The exmo formerly known as Br. ( )
Date: December 29, 2013 12:11PM

A funny thing just happened here. I was trying to change a tire in the aftermath of a few snow and ice storms. The spare is frozen under the van. I remember I have another spare near a shed which is probably buried in the snow. I ask my son, who has moderate MR, to dig it out for me while I take the flat off. I'm getting REALLY frustrated as the flat is also frozen to the hub of the van. As I'm struggling I look over to see my son also struggling, trying to dig the tire out with his bare hands. I ask him how we usually dig, he says with a shovel. I stare at him waiting for the connection to happen and for him to get a shovel. After a moment he starts digging with his hands again. In frustration I say "Use your head." Meaning think about it and go get a shovel. He looks really confused and stares at me for a moment. Then he bends over and starts to put his head in the snow. He really is just about the sweetest kid in the world. He was born with a condition and it certainly isn't his fault. I had been REALLY angry before he did that. He is funny, goofy, kind, sweet and I don't know what I would do without him.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: December 29, 2013 12:34PM

I have similar experiences with my genius IQ ADD kid. When he was little, when we were getting ready to go someplace I would say, "go find your shoes." of course meaning, put your shoes on, we are going someplace. I would track him down, and find him playing next to his shoes because I didn't say "go find your shoes and put them on your feet."
Years later, When he was a freshman in high school, we got all the way to school one time before he noticed he wasn't wearing any shoes.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 29, 2013 12:54PM

When I used to take martial arts classes, we would bow to our sensei at the conclusion of class and thank him for teaching us (truly a labor of love since he was not paid.) His invariable response was, "Thank you for teaching me patience." :) Your son sounds so sweet.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: December 29, 2013 12:55PM

He pooped in his underwear and I said to him: "Poo poo goes in the potty, not in your underwear." So he scooped it out of his underwear (with his bare hand) and deposited it into his potty.

I love kids.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: December 29, 2013 12:58PM

My 5 year old niece asked me, why is water wet?

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: December 29, 2013 03:59PM

Children who ask questions constantly around ages 3-6 often test out as gifted later on.

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: December 29, 2013 04:16PM

When my (nevermo) older son was quite young I was helping him get dressed. He put his underpants on backwards.

Me: "Your underpants are on backwards."

Him: "I always put my underpants on backwards. When I am wearing my Power Rangers underpants the Power Ranger is on the seat. I put them on this way so I can see the Power Ranger."

Me: "Those aren't Power Ranger, those are plain underpants."

Him: "One rule is enough for underpants."

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 29, 2013 04:30PM

Oh, that is so darling! :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.