Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Aenon E. Moss ( )
Date: December 31, 2013 03:25PM

I had a Mormon girlfriend once who was, at the time I knew her, 27, and had three children. She had bore four children. She had her first child when she was 15. A Mormon "don juan" (who had gotten other Mormon teen girls pregnant), had gotten her pregnant at age 14 and 1/2. The fellow, who was 19, moved away to where none of the girls parents could find him. Anyway, they sent her to a secret home owned by the Church in Tumwater, Washington. The Church owned other homes in the area, and they even had this little high school, with around 100 girls, all pregnant, all Mormon, all unmarried, all teens. Only Mormons worked at this little high school. She told me these girls were all from Washington State, Oregon, and northern Idaho. The Church apparently had secret homes and high schools for pregnant Mormon girls all over the Western U.S. These were basically baby factories; the children being given to faithful (i.e. tithe-paying) Mormon couples who can't have children.

Her bishop had her SWEAR an oath NOT to tell anyone about her pregnancy, or the home, or the high school; which was run by LDS Social Services (now called Family Services). She was later informed, she would NOT be keeping her child. She protested, saying she wanted to keep it. The "principal" of the high school, a Mormon, told her she could NOT keep it, but the child would be given to a Mormon couple who could not have children. She cried and cried. Even her mother PLEADED with them to let her keep the child, saying she (the mother) would raise it. Nope! They said she couldn't keep the child, and that the child would be adopted out. When the mother protested again, the bishop told her to STOP or that they'd hold a Church Court on her for disobeying her priesthood leaders.

Anyway, the child was born. She got to nurse it for a little while, then it was taken away. She was again told the following:

*Do not tell anyone about the pregnancy or the child.
*If people ask "Where have you been?" tell them you were living with relatives for a school year.
*Do not inquire as to the whereabouts of the child or who the child's adoptive parents are.
*OBEY YOUR PRIESTHOOD LEADERS, because they speak for God.

She was forced to give up her child.
She was commanded to LIE!

Perhaps this is why there is now a major lawsuit against the Church for violating the RICO Statue; an ongoing CRIMINAL ENTERPRISE in illegal adoptions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: December 31, 2013 03:29PM

Wish I could be shocked.
Or at least a little surprised.
But the cult is such a monster....

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: December 31, 2013 03:34PM

my mother was certainly forced by her TBM mom and bishop to put me up for adoption. I had a good childhood, so I'm not bitter about that, but I am pissed about how LDS social services has manipulated the system in their favor over the years and the mental BS they put upon the mothers. My bio mom is still VERY messed up because of how they treated her which results in why her and I can't have a better relationship now.

Posted by: FredOi ( )
Date: December 31, 2013 03:36PM

If this were true it would castrate the church in Australia. Google "stolen generation"

As much as I want them castrated, not if this were true

Posted by: OzDoc ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 03:37AM

FredOi, you may be unaware that in the 1960's the Mo Church in Australia was licenced to "arrange" adoptions.

Pregnant girls were sent interstate and boarded with a good Mo family until the baby was born and then adopted to a family in a third state.

I remember one such girl staying with us when I was a child of perhaps 9 or 10. My TBM parents held her predicament up to me as a life-long lesson.A family in my ward had 2 church approved adoptions, another family one.My parents were deemed too old to adopt but as my mother was in the District and later Stake RS presidency she was always involved in them.

Not sure when they lost their accreditation to be involved in adoptions but remember my mother telling me they no longer handled them.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: December 31, 2013 03:39PM

I have heard rumors of this being the case of how things are handled. From what I've been told the pregnant girls are not counseled in a healthy way. If this is still being done I hope that it will be exposed and halted.

Posted by: tevainotloggedin ( )
Date: December 31, 2013 03:39PM

This really upsets me.

There is someone I know who was born in Washington state, adopted by a Mormon family who lived in another state, and has been diligently searching (without success) for this person's birth mother for nearly all of this person's life.

The lifelong, intensely deep, human destruction this kind of thing causes is incalculable.

Sometimes (as in some wartime situations) this kind of situation is unavoidable.

In the cases like this, though, this whole thing is carefully planned and fully financed (and concealed from "outside" scrutiny) by people who have NO interest in the well being of anyone personally involved (birth parents...offspring...or even the adopting families).

This is baby trafficking, and the mothers are simply supplying the product.

And it definitely ought to be considered as within the RICO statutes.

Date: December 31, 2013 03:42PM

don't know if this helps or not, but I found my mother because there is some sort of clause that says you can ask for non-identifying information about your parent. I received almost 3 pages of info that my mom wrote down that was given to me when I asked for it. From there, I was able to find her. You have to ask for it in writing though from the adoption agency. In my case it was LDS social services that provided it, but I don't know the rules about other agencies.

Posted by: cynthus ( )
Date: December 31, 2013 03:41PM

Not surprised - we had two girls in my ward that became pregnant and also adopted out their babies through LDS Social services at the time. I think this happened a lot (70s)

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: December 31, 2013 03:58PM

I worked with a gal in Utah who was really messed up (although she would never admit it) from having been forced by bishop and parents (who did as the bishop commanded) and gave her first baby up for adoption. The father then went on a mission and they married when he came back and she had three other kids who were natural sisters to the little girl she gave up.

It's been years and that little girl would be 35-40 years old now. I've always wondered if they found each other. She had high hopes that her birth daughter would come looking for her when she turned 18. Her parents apologized for not being more supportive of her, but it was kind of like "you've sinned and this is how you repent, end of subject."

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 31, 2013 06:18PM

I'd like to find evidence of this and give it to the press. The things that Mormons do best is tear apart families.

Posted by: temnamedeborah ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 12:09AM

There is much evidence of the LDS church's (including many other churches) evil doings in the world of adoptions. So much money,time and effort was spent separating babies from their birthfamilies. Add to that the money and resources that the LDS church and lds social services spent over the years in fighting to keep adoptions and adoption records closed from birthparents, adoptees and adoptive parents. Their approaches have changed over the decades, but in the late 1960's there was no lds social services licensed to do adoptions in Southern CA so a stake pres from Whittier illegally placed babies in Mormon adoptive homes. When I shared my story in a workshop, the head of lds adoptions from SL approached me at ask questions about how the church conducted the placements. His response was "that was illegal!
They didnt tell women that when they took their babies.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: December 31, 2013 07:30PM

Aenon,

What year(s) was this?

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: December 31, 2013 07:33PM

left4good Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Aenon,
>
> What year(s) was this?

Any other data, in the vicinity - could do a little gumshoe....

Date: December 31, 2013 07:36PM

it's freaking amazing I found my birthmom with the little info I had. If anyone needs help finding theirs, please contact me. I LOVE and know how to do this stuff.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: December 31, 2013 07:50PM

a hot blonde cheerleader who decided to spend her senior year in The Middle of Nowhere, Utah, because she had some relatives there and she liked the school better. I thought that was pretty old-fashioned for 1974.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: December 31, 2013 07:52PM

I am SO sorry to hear of these TRAGIC stories.

While I condemn tscc for its callousness, I do want to point out that this was COMMON practice in the 60s/70s. I am horrified to think it may still go on!

In my high school in the late 60s there were a couple of girls who suddenly were not attending. I asked where they were on several occasions but met with a wall of silence. I was not worldly enough at the time to guess what was happening. They appeared back at school over 6 months later, one looking a little chubbier around the tummy, the other was the same. But the look in their eyes was something I have
never forgotten. I think after seeing that and being upset, my mother explained to me what had probably happened. I was SO shocked, quite truamatised by what they had been through, and NO baby. My mother incidentally, was NOT condemning of the girls, but TOTALLY supportive which made it easier for me to express my thoughts. I have often wondered what happened to the girls and if they ever saw their babies again. They were probably in a Catholic or Protestant "Home for UNWED Mothers", as tscc was not very big in Australia at the time.

Another girl stopped coming to school at 15. but I heard she had got married, under special licence because she was under the legal age to marry. I later heard she had difficult birth with a very large baby, but appeared to be doing fine with her little boy.

I don't advocate either of those solutions of course, nor is it my place to make any judgements on any of the girls who defied convention and (usually with the totally necessary support of their parents) kept their babies.

BUT Oh how much more humanity and kindness was needed in ALL the cases.

It was one of the things that kept me a virgin till I married. I was HORRIFIED at the thought of going through that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2013 07:54PM by fluhist.

Date: December 31, 2013 07:56PM

my mom kept me a total secret (this was during the 70's) NO ONE outside of my mother knew until the day I was born that I even existed. But yes, that was common practice back then, just like you hid special needs children, or you hid out of wedlock pregnancies. Very sad.

Date: December 31, 2013 07:59PM

my experience with LDS social services was a weird one. After writing to them, I DID receive non-identifying info about my mom but when I went to receive it they were very cold. I couldn't actually look at what my mom wrote about me, I was only allowed to write it down as the social worker spoke it to me. And when she went too fast and I asked her to back up, she was really snotty about it. I could not WAIT to get out of there. She made it pretty clear that she didn't like me asking questions or even being there.

Posted by: Odell Campbell ( )
Date: December 31, 2013 07:56PM

A girl in my ward in Lawton, Oklahoma spent a year with relatives in Utah. She had no relatives in Utah though. Later she told me that she got pregnant, and moved to Utah where she gave birth to a child she gave up for adoption through LDS Social Services. This would have been in 82 or 83.

I've always thought her family was attempting to hide her pregnancy. I wished I would have asked more information.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: December 31, 2013 08:23PM

In about 1997-98, the stake president's son got a girl pregnant, right before he was going to go on his mission. Both were already graduated from high school. The church made the young father postpone his mission until after the baby was born and adopted out, and then he was allowed to go on a mission, as though nothing had happened. The stake president and his wife had 8 children, were supposed to be family-oriented, and they were wealthy. I think NOTHING could stand in my way of my adopting my own grandchild! The girl's parents were wealthy also. Surely, they could have afforded another child, they were prominent TBM's...things didn't add up. The pregnant girl "disappeared" for a while, and was "up in Idaho." Everyone knew she was having a baby, so the scandal was already there. She came back, as though nothing had happened. The girl married in the temple while the boy was still on his mission, and when the boy returned, he got married immediately, in the temple. They immediately started popping out babies, and they brag on Facebook. No one ever spoke of the child, except to say "It was adopted by a good Mormon family."

I guess, by consistent denial, a human being can be erased.

IMO, and church who ADVERTISES for unmarried pregnant girls to adopt to their agency--yes LDS Social Services used to advertise on KBYU--is SICK, and should be investigated. The ads put pressure on young mothers to "Give your baby MORE; give him a mother AND A FATHER!" Do you remember those ads? Disgusting heartsell to make a mother believe she is doing her baby a big favor.

Our old bishop adopted one of those LDS unwanted babies from Idaho. She was an infant, but grew up tall, large, and dark, and the rest of the family were tiny and blonde. Her mother (the bishop's wife) was a mother from Hell, and all the siblings fled to another state, except one sister, who is seriously mentally ill, on heavy meds, and still living at home. The adopted girl was a problem child, attenpted suicide, brought a loaded gun to school. She dropped out of high school, and supposedly worked in Alaska, except my daughter ran into her downtown. The girl had been in a mental institution for two years. This kind of proves that not all mental illness is hereditary. Sorry to ramble.

Anyway, the adopted girl found her real mother, and they look exactly alike. She moved up to Idaho, and feels like she belongs there. She got married and has children. She is still not "perfect" but she doesn't want to die, anymore.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: December 31, 2013 08:24PM

Look, I'm sorry these girls had their babies taken away, but look ****they were children themselves. They could not take care of their babies.****

& also I wonder how many of them were sexually assaulted. I get the feeling that many of them were.

Also, I just want to say that just because LDS family services is fucked up, it doesn't mean that adoption is fucked up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2013 08:26PM by Tristan.

Date: December 31, 2013 08:40PM

some couldn't take care of their babies, most weren't even given the chance. I think adoption is great, but so is having a choice

Posted by: tapirsaddle ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 12:54AM

I am adopted, and I firmly believe that adoption is fucked up.

Posted by: morganizedreligion ( )
Date: December 31, 2013 11:30PM

During my senior year in HS (SLC) in '96 we hosted a pregnant mormon girl from Arkansas. Her family did exactly this...sent her away to secretly have her baby among total strangers (my family) and then go back home afterward. I felt really bad for the girl. I could tell it was super awkward for her to be in this situation and having to live with us. I think she was about 5 months along when she came, probably about when she started showing. I don't even know why she came to Utah where she knew no one. My dad was bishop at the time and I'm thinking her family must have had a relative or some connection to someone in our ward. I think my dad felt he had to volunteer to have her stay with us. I am youngest in my family and only child still living at home so we had plenty of room for her. Anyway, these stories make me so sad. Parents feeling more shame than love for their daughters to just send them away to go through a difficult situation alone and afraid.

Posted by: Anon for this sad story ( )
Date: December 31, 2013 11:53PM

I don't have an LDS Services story, but a flipsode story about how the Morg is damaging to single teenage mothers.

I met a girl in the 1990s who got pregnant when her boyfriend raped her. Her family was TBM, & made her keep her baby. All she wanted to do was run & hide. At least the sick rapist was arrested & went to jail.

Posted by: Anon Regular ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 12:13AM

Circa 1999 one of the YA women became pregnant on a date. She was sent from Hawaii to Washington state to live with her "aunt." She simply vanished from the YA group.

Six months later she reemerges back in Hawaii. The story spread that she had been raped (then why keep the baby). The man was excommunicated but nothing happened to the gal's membership as far as anyone could note.

Then we had an older pregnant teen that hung out with us YAs. She was staying with the SP's family. I asked her what she was going to name the baby. She hastily replied that she was going to give "it" up for adoption. She was sent to Hawaii from Utah.

Posted by: captain ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 02:08AM

My older sister went to "Nanny" in Utah when I was little. It wasn't until 10 years later I found out I had a niece. She stayed with a Mormon family and gave the baby up through the church adoption services. My parents were very ashamed and no one knew. This was mid 80's.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 02:14AM

TSCC is a MACHINE, ABSOLUTELY COMPLETELY Devoid of the values they give lip-service to;

anyone who needs details can ask me & I'll tell.

manderst@yahoo.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2014 02:17AM by guynoirprivateeye.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 02:54AM

This makes me wonder about a relative of mine. Her Junior year in HS she disappeared to somewhere in Idaho. Everyone was told that she was being persecuted for being a Mormon, and she couldn't handle it so her parents sent her to Idaho for a year. She came home her senior year. She had a tat on her belly.

Something about that story didn't ring true with me. It felt contrived and secretive. She married straight out of high school and immediately had 6 babies, one after the other.

My family i full of sexual secrets. Wouldn't be surprised if this was one more.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 03:00AM

nothing like the "You'll do as we say or Burn Forever" for PRESSURE, 'eh?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.