Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Question. ( )
Date: December 31, 2013 11:28PM

Just curious if they get to participate in other countries' (or of course, the USA if from there), during their mission. Or is it simply still bedtime at 10:30. :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: deco ( )
Date: December 31, 2013 11:34PM

Champagne and a hooker at midnight!

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: December 31, 2013 11:57PM

The only time I ever saw any missionaries have any sort of a New Year's Eve was at a very quiet, laid back missionary farewell open house back on New Year's Eve 1995. They were there for a an hour or so, with all kinds of people coming & going during the evening.

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 02:25AM

Sure! Missionaries get to be celebate EVERY night!

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 03:09AM

Business as usual for missionaries.

I think we were actually told to be in and in bed earlier than usual, you know, to avoid anything that might be normal.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 03:13AM

Lots of mish stuff happens 'Off the books', MPs have a way of signaling minor OKs to minor 'infractions'.

yup, U heard it from me.

Posted by: Out in England ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 05:51AM

On both of the NYE's that I was on my mission, we had a district party at one of the Elders apartments. There were 6 of US playing Uno & we sent out for take away pizza.

I think on one of the years, the ward had a NYE party at the chapel & we were there until around 10pm but then headed home.

Posted by: outsider ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 07:48AM

When I was on my mission to Fukuoka, the MP let us go to the shrines at midnight. That night, he had the AP call the zone leaders who called the district leaders, etc. to see who was back.

Those who were home to get the calls, of course. I think that was the last year for that experiment.

Posted by: Scott.T ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 01:18PM

NOT going to the Shinto shrine at midnight on New Years in Japan ..... another thing I resent about the mission. (And I was in Kyoto for New Years!)

We were to be in bed as usual. Didn't go to sleep though and could hear the temple bells at midnight. At least the MP was practical enough to realize that routine missionary work in Japan, especially, would be an even bigger waste of time for the next three days, so although we couldn't stay up on NYE, we could take a few days 'off' and visit the shrines and temples during the day like everyone else was doing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2014 01:19PM by Scott.T.

Posted by: Keith Vaught ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 12:16PM

We were visiting elders in Balcarce in 1975 and had a blast shooting fireworks on New Years Eve.

Posted by: xnorth ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 01:27PM

My husband had a pretty lax MP. He had them all over to the mission home new year's eve and they got a bunch of Chipotle takeout and played video games all night.

Posted by: closer2fine ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 01:31PM

We got to go down town and just hang around Carl Johans Gate, when I was in Norway.

Posted by: KBT ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 04:09PM

We were allowed to stay up for the fireworks if we were with a member family. We also were allowed to stay out on Sankthansaften (summer solstice) watching the bonfires and midnight sun (or midnight twilight for those not so far north.) In that respect, I think both of my MPs were pretty reasonable.

Posted by: dazed11 ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 03:31PM

My mission president was pretty nice. We got to stay up late and watch movies for New Years Eve. I think we brought a TV over from the church to our apartment or a lot of the missionaries had portable DVD players so we might have used that. I think New Years Day was made our P-day as well.

Posted by: petergunz ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 04:52PM

We had to stay inside in Japan, but it was too loud to sleep, so we stayed up and ate some traditional New Year's food that the members brought us.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.