Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 10:52AM

And this is not the first time a couple has been married in the Rose Parade.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 10:58AM

The Rose Parade has been a family-friendly event forever. Why do the gays need to shove their agenda in everybody's face?

"Never mind that in at least 31 of the 50 states where the Rose Parade will be broadcast there are Constitutional bans on gay unions. And never mind that a recent poll shows that 62 percent of Americans still support the definition of marriage as being between one man and one woman. Never mind that you’d never see a conservative politically themed float permitted in the Rose Parade.

There is nothing unusual about gay activists wanting to promote their cause. What is unusual, however, is the fact that national TV networks during daytime family programming will allow a political agenda to be pushed and will showcase two men engaging in a romantic kiss. That’s not exactly the kind of family programming that ABC ― which is owned by Disney ― has long been known for. Walt Disney must be turning over in his grave.

There is a time and place for everything. According to a list of LGTB events, there are 200 gay pride parades across the U.S. each year. But that’s not enough for the activists’ agendas. They want to bring those values to middle America by going on national television and parading it around. Literally. The audience: unsuspecting families who may not be willing nor ready to explain these adult relationships to their children. Or to explain to their eight-year old what the “AIDS” in “AIDS Healthcare Foundation” means. One has to wonder how this is going to play in Cleveland, as the old saying goes."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2014 11:06AM by saviorself.

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 11:02AM

So because two men in love will share a kiss, it's no longer family friendly?

What kind of backasswards thinking is that?

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 11:26AM

I am boycotting the Tournament of Roses broadcast because I don't want to have to explain "men kissing" to my 8 year old grandson. He and his family belong to a church that does not accept gay marriage or the gay life style.

You are the person whose thinking is backasswards.

Date: January 01, 2014 11:30AM

I'll bet you say that blacks eating at restaurants where whites eat means blacks are pushing their agenda in your face.

Posted by: Exmoron ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 04:25PM

straw man

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 05:30PM

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 11:31AM

Because I want equal rights for everyone, I'm the backasswards One? You're fucking hilarious dude.

Feel free to boycott it, that's your right. But realize it has everything to do with you being uncomfortable and nothing to do with the gays.

I feel bad for your grandson, he is growing up very sheltered if you can't just say, "they are kissing because they are in love." Kids aren't hateful by nature, we teach them to be hateful by telling them some people are better than others.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 11:52AM

a dad who is gay--meaning their family. What is amazing to me has been that kids their age here in Utah have been extremely accepting. My son's friends go to the gay pride parade with him.

Your grandchild will and probably already does associate with children of gays, so you are teaching him that his family is better than their's?

Posted by: rachel1 ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 01:50PM

Two of my grandchildren have two moms. In every way they are a normal family. The only difference is they have two moms, not a mom and a dad. they have a lot of love in their home, good old fashioned "family values" and the children are very well adjusted, smart, loving and accepting. Their family is much less dysfunctional than many so called straight families.

Children learn what you teach them. If you tell them that two people of the same sex kissing is a bad thing that is what they will believe. If you let them make their own decision they will just say it's yucky because anybody kissing anybody else is just yucky in their eyes. Or they will see it as an act of love or just not even think anything about it.

BTW, there actually WAS a float from eharmony.com, which is a conservative dating website and they even did an interview with the founder at the Rose Parade.

Posted by: exdrymo ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 03:52PM

saviorself Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't want to have to explain "men
> kissing" to my 8 year old grandson. He and his
> family belong to a church that does not accept gay
> marriage or the gay life style.

Better keep him away from the bible then:

Genesis 27:26,27
Genesis 29:13
Genesis 33:4
Genesis 45:15
Genesis 50:1
Exodus 4:27
Exodus 18:7
1 Samuel 10:1
1 Samuel 20:41(omg this one's a doozy!)
Proverbs 24:26
Matthew 26:48,49
Romans 16:16
1 Corinthians 16:20
2 Corinthians 13:12
1 Thessalonians 5:26
1 Peter 5:14

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 04:00PM

saviorself Wrote:

> You are the person whose thinking is backasswards.

Now, this is hilarious!

Classic projection.
Consistent with a paucity of creativity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2014 04:07PM by zenjamin.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 04:21PM

It's men kissing. It's like yep, that happened. Are you sure you're not using the kid as an excuse, because you yourself are uncomfortable with men kissing?

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 02:03PM

I was 8 years and in grade school when the AIDS crisis was at its peak. We talked about it in class because that's what decent educators do. It's called TEACHING.

Date: January 01, 2014 11:03AM

Heterosexuals have already formed their families by getting married in the Rose parade. To say that gays doing the same isn't acceptable is hate and bigotry, nothing more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2014 11:05AM by MJ.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 11:08AM

saviorself Wrote:
> Why do the gays need to shove their agenda in everybody's face?

Because they want what you want. They want what you already have.

Posted by: a nonny mouse ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 01:58PM

The "gay agenda" is a scarecrow invented by conservatives. Sorry pal, we're just not that organized. If anything, Prop 8 lit a fire under our collective apathetic backsides and created a whole new generation of passionate gay activists who do indeed have an agenda with one item: equality.

And if you think a parade composed entirely of the country's most elaborate floral arrangement wasn't already a gay pride parade...dude! Come on!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 02:07PM

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 02:20PM

I watched the parade from beginning to end, so you don't have to.

1. There were dozens of police officers surrounding one float in particular as it made its way down the parade route and it was.......... The Sea World Float! More people were up in arms about the mistreatment of whales than about a wedding! Weird, huh?

2. I was kinda grossed out by the ancient old people kissing on the e-harmony float. That would upset any 8 year old.

3. The girls, cheerleaders, dancers, etc. were wearing costumes that covered most of their bodies, which I approve of.

4. The wedding you speak of was one of the last floats in the parade, and the coverage I watched didn't show a kiss at all, just the guys chatting with the FEMALE officiant. I guess that might make your 8 year old ask questions. Oh yeah, it was a BLACK FEMALE officiant.

I guess you made the correct decision not to watch the parade. Is there a Duck Dynasty marathon on instead?

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 02:24PM

Pickle car, Yes!

Posted by: ClaireRuin ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 02:25PM

You fail to understand that LGTB folks do have family and are family. They are someone's parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, kids, siblings, etc. They are family to someone and it is possible your grandson knows someone who isn't heterosexual.

Also, to your AIDS issue.... Keep that for when the kids learns about STDs and handling blood products. AIDS affect humans and there is an epidemic in the African continent last I heard.

Get out there, educate yourself and stop thinking about two people in the bed. Do you do that with every male and female couple you know, or two people holding hands, kissing or hugging? I hope not.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 03:35PM

You are the one who is not "family friendly."

You really mean only families you want to accept. Gays are families too. You're the one who is not being friendly.

Heaven forbid you have to explain to your grandkid about a person who is different from you because he was born without legs (for example). Seriously, you can't figure out how to explain there are all kinds of people?

What if your grandson turns out to be gay? Every extended family will have gay members. I would pity your grandson for having to work around his grandfather who isn't "family friendly."

Posted by: sizterh ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 11:49AM

Maybe they are not doing it to promote the gay life style maybe they are just living life. It would be cool to be married in the rose parade, gay or straight.

"Some men marry a woman some marry another man. Joseph Smith married many women and some girls too." Easy explanation. "AIDS is a disease." Another easy explanation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2014 11:49AM by sizterh.

Posted by: Inverso ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 01:59PM

Furthermore, AIDS is NOT a gay disease and there's no reason to bring it up in the context of a same-sex marriage at all.

Posted by: Anonylez ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 04:03PM

'Aubrey Loots and Danny Leclair, the real-life wedding cake toppers, were married on the float from the AIDS Healthcare Foundation, whose theme was alternately "Love is Love" and (the scientifically unlikely) "Love is the Best Protection" from HIV and AIDS.'

http://www.advocate.com/politics/marriage-equality/wedding-channel/2014/01/01/gay-couple-becomes-first-marry-rose-parade

Posted by: Anonylez ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 04:04PM

I don't see the point of making a spectacle of a wedding this way. The Rose Bowl is about college football, not politics and not families/marriage/etc.

You're still a bigot, though.

Posted by: notamoinaz ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 12:02PM

Fidget hit it right on the head.....it has nothing to do with gay marriage but everything to do with saviorself's being uncomfortable with talking to the 8 yr old grandkid. Poor kid! My 8 yr old son saw a pic of 2 guys kissing once and asked why they were doing it. I told him it was because they loved each other. He made a face and said "that's weird" which opened up a whole conversation I had with him on how there are same gender and opposite gender relationships out there but it all comes down to love. His response was "oh, ok. Can I go play legos now?" Meanwhile, he's going to be more accepting off things that are NOT like him (oh, he's bi-racial too) and same gender marriages are NOT threatening.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 01:42PM

savoirself, why do you need to shove your homophobic agenda in everybody's face?

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 01:50PM

Its funny that when a heterosexual couple is open about their relationship or it is broad casted it is normal and "family friendly" and the best thing ever.

But if it is a homosexual couple, the whole thing is watered down to a "political stance"

Has anyone stopped to think that perhaps it has nothing to do with politics and maybe homosexuals would just like to be treated like their heterosexual counterparts.

Oh no, but thats too much of an agenda I suppose.

Date: January 01, 2014 01:57PM

Why do homophobes and bigots always have to jam their lifestyle down my throat? Everywhere I turn, there's some jerk spouting off his or her views on how gay people are evil and going to hell. I can't escape it.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 01:59PM

I agree, if people don't want to see people get married because they're of the same gender, then you're free to change the channel. Of course, that meant that you missed some great floats, such as the Public Storage one, and the Trader Joe's float with the cute pickle car following behind it.

Posted by: iplayedjoe ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 02:13PM

You will need to find a better example of righteousness than the Disney Corporation. They added protections for their GLBT employees years ago....And if all "the gays" called in sick one day....you'd be doing without Mickey.

Saviourself, Gay Day At Disney is in June but get your ticket soon because the park always sells out.

Date: January 01, 2014 02:26PM

WTF is this so called "gay lifestyle" I keep hearing about ?

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 02:33PM

Date: January 01, 2014 04:09PM

Now that there's funny. I don't care who you are !

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 02:27PM

Ummmmmmm...gay weddings ARE about family. There are many gay and lesbian families, with children, and it is heartwarming that they were included in this fun family parade. Lighten up, bigot!

Date: January 01, 2014 03:23PM

shocked, I tell ya--to realize there's anyone on this board whose brain is still not quite fully working properly.

Hard to believe a person with the capacity to figure out that the Mormon church is b.s. wouldn't have noticed there's clearly something physical going on with people who are attracted to people of the same gender. I mean, you know, because so many of them don't behave like people who are attracted to people of the opposite gender are expected to behave. And because so many of them persist, despite a lot of disapproval and abuse from people who expect them to behave differently.

You'd think a person who had decided the thing with the golden plates never happened, who realized a bunch of old men had been lying and stealing from them, would be paying a lot more attention. You'd think they'd consider the possibility that the old men weren't the only ones lying. Perhaps others had been lying, too, or were just wrong. Either way, even more things they'd been taught weren't necessarily true or right.

Hard to believe a person who had learned to question what they were taught wouldn't question everything--especially things that are obvious, like the persistent unexpected behavior. Hard to believe it wouldn't have occurred to them at some point that maybe the unexpected-behaving people were born that way, maybe it's not a choice, maybe it's completely natural, maybe it should be expected. Maybe it's just stupid and wrong to say they can't live and love and get married, like those who are attracted to people of the opposite gender.

Oh, well--years of brainwashing, I guess. That, too, is apparently physical.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2014 03:44PM by munchybotaz.

Posted by: LC ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 03:47PM

saviorself certainly has the right to express himself on this board, as the rest of you do, also. I don't visit this site much anymore, preferring another forum, where they specifically request "No personal attacks" and posters generally respect each other's opinions; apparently, not always on this board.

I just started reading Riskas' book, Deconstructing Mormonism. I'm not too far into the book, I'm reading where he talks about reasoning fallacies. Some of you just demonstrated "ad hominem attack", "attack of the straw man", "red herring" and even a "non sequitur"!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 04:00PM

LC, if you feel that any response constitutes a personal attack, report it. It's against the rules on this board as well. Given the topic, I would call this a vigorous discussion instead, but YMMV.

Date: January 01, 2014 04:05PM

I don't have to respect an opinion I find ignorant, I only respect the right to have that opinion.

Posted by: Chromesthesia ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 04:12PM

I do not respect bigotry. I am black and bi and i have had enough of people harping on gays as if gay people are the worse thing i the world when you have child abuse. Two people of the same sex being together is not a big deal!

Posted by: exdrymo ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 04:13PM

But then this board is not meant to be a formal debate club.

It's a recovery board. It's not Toastmasters or "the firing Line" it's online group therapy. People express their feelings, not just properly-constructed formal arguments read from 3x5 cards.

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 04:14PM

So glad you dropped by to tell us how much better you are than the rest of us. It's cool of you to leave board-Utopia to visit us less-worthies. Of all those "reasoning fallacies" you mentioned, did you see any of them in the OP's post? (Not referring to the original post that was just a link.)

Is it possible you are defending saviorself because you share his point-of-view about the LGBT community and rather than having the courage of your convictions and outright agreeing with him, you are trying to undermine opposing points of view by accusing others of "reasoning fallacies?"

Saviorself wants the world to behave in a way that makes it so he doesn't have to explain anything he finds uncomfortable to his grandson. He wants the LGBT community to stick to their own parades. You know blacks used to have their own drinking fountains and sections on the bus, too. Too bad those uppity minorities don't know their place that white men in power (and those who support them) have so generously carved out for them.

May your other-board experiences be merry and bright all year long.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2014 04:15PM by Surrender Dorothy.

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 04:20PM

Oh but this board of neanderthals needs the Wisdom.

Please don't leave LC.
We need you.

If I thought you were to leave in a huff why,
-- I could not bear it.

Date: January 01, 2014 04:35PM

I can see his point...some of those gay pride parades are really flamboyant, with lots of exhibitionism that would be inappropriate for young children. It's a different culture in those pride parades - not saying it's wrong, but not for young viewers. Perhaps the OP is just wanting to ensure that the Rose parade doesn't turn into a typical pride parade, which is not family oriented - not because is same gendered, but because it's too much skin and too much sex. Can't have it both ways - the GLBT community can't act like a bunch of hypersexual exhibitionists in those pride parades, and then expect everyone to think it's all family oriented. As a exmo (now 5 years), I try to consider all sides of the coin. I don't believe GLBT is environmental anymore.

Posted by: Chromesthesia ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 04:42PM

Marte gras. Spelling that wrong

Date: January 01, 2014 04:42PM

Date: January 01, 2014 04:47PM

nope, it's not the balloons or the bikinis...its the Penis', bare breasts, the sexual undertones, etc. Get real folks, a pride parade is not for children and deep down you know it. The GLTB community needs to clean up their parades and make them more family (children) oriented. Otherwise, shut the fuck up.

Date: January 01, 2014 05:00PM

or maybe I got a Mormon computer, but I don't see any penises or bare breasts that aren't on men. There's a bare butt in the 17th row, 2nd from left.

I suppose if you want the little children to grow up thinking penises and breasts and sex are bad, then you would not let them see. Chances are, though, they'll just grow up thinking the people who didn't want them to see such things were idiots.

Date: January 01, 2014 05:36PM

blah blah blah...whatever dip shit. You can show your own little ones all the porn you want. Don't make it right. Porn is not for kids. Weirdo.

Posted by: dfweasel ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 05:45PM

Posted by: dfweasel ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 05:45PM

I don’t agree with “savior,” but some of the responses and assumptions, “that he’s a conservative redneck” - Duck Dynasty - references and such) to make a point back at him or her, doesn’t help the discussion.

I’m an atheist, and now a registered Libertarian and I voted “against” Prop 8 in California. According to the L.A. Times, which did an investigation of the statistics, discovered that it was the overwhelming majority of blacks and Latinos that were registered Democrats and who were strongly religious who came out to vote for Obama, voted “for” Prop 8. Unfortunately, the Mormon church from behind the curtain in Utah, financed and indirectly got Prop 8 on the ballot.

I got into an argument the following day with two black friends who are born again Christians regarding the outcome of the Prop 8 vote. They were over-the-moon about Obama, and glad that Prop 8 passed. I was speechless when one told me, “We don’t care about white men wanting to suck each other off, and their sexual behavior is not a civil right.” I see religion (especially Islam) as an ongoing obstacle to liberty and bigotry come from all class and creeds.

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: January 01, 2014 05:47PM

Oh no, all that skin... and?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.