Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Asker ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 12:10AM

As a missionary I remember the constant pressure to baptize people. As a member working kind of close with a few bishoprics I also remember some kind of concern for low fast offerings and thites.

What else is there as far as pressure from the powers up?. I guess the pressures works its way down from the first pres. What do they pressure for? What do they want?. And by the way, I was able to see in a few bishops how the pressures from above would make them unhappy and very stressed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 12:28AM

Bishops see the day-to-day effects of Mormonism, the active & passive things that affect people. Some allow that it puts them in a bind to be loyal to TSCC AND support the rank-and-file in adversities, with pressure for temple attendance, normal activity, & 'donations'. Also, there's the constant pressure on the leaders' time to attend superficial if not unnecessary meetings (only function: Appear Important).

Yes, it is Lots of STRESS!

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 07:44AM

The pressure on a bishop is the product of whatever is being measured higher up multiplied by how ambitious the bishop is.

Measurements include home teaching, prospective elder activity, temple worthiness numbers, Melchizedek Priesthood advancements, temple participation, and Fast Offering cash flow.

Ambition? Up to the bishop. I frankly didn't care much to "move up," but a lot of bishops seemed to.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 02:32PM

When I was in callings where I had lots of contact with bishops, the pressure they seemed to be under included:

Not using up lots of Fast Offering funds
Increasing Sacrament Meeting attendance
Increasing number of current temple recommend holders (this one was huge)
Making sure their own families appeared to be perfect and happy
Handling questions and complaints at the ward level so that the SP and other higher-ups didn't have to deal with the Great Unwashed

Lots of expectations for an unpaid 30-hour per week volunteer position.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.