Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: erictheex ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 03:11AM

It seems like the new mormon doctrine on every topic is this:

"Believe whatever you want as long as it keeps you believing, paying and it does not make us look bad."

Everything else, you will get the:

not necessary, fleck of history, depends, speaking as a man, not anymore, its been 100 years, do your home teaching, it does not matter, its just a thread in the tapestry, doubt your doubt, talk to your bishop, pray about it, its been decided, it was only a practice, we never taught that, I dont know that we teach that, I don't know that we emphasize that, it happened for a reason. we don't have all the facts, lucifer!, BY was silly sometimes, things were different back then, its not doctrine anymore so it does not matter, why are you asking questions, sin much?...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2014 10:37AM by erictheex.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ddt ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 06:04AM

Their basic rebuttal to most criticisms is you're too stupid to understand and since I am so much smarter than you, you need to discard all your thoughts and beliefs and adopt mine.

That's why morgs are so arrogant and talk down to people.

That's why I HATE mormons. They are the worse type of asshole and should be ridiculed and spat upon.

Posted by: shiftfocus ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 12:17PM

Wow. I may not be Mormon anymore or believe in the religion, but my sister, my brother, and my mom are, and they are wonderful people who I love. To hear someone say they should be ridiculed and spat on is upsetting. I have a lot of resentment toward the church. I made major life decisions based on a false religion, but even I wouldn't say that about Mormons.

Posted by: Hi There ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 08:38PM

Definitely agree. Saying that is going too far.

Date: January 02, 2014 11:46PM

Don't try and censor me buckwheat.

I will not tolerate abusive people and especially those who encourage this behavior.

If mormons don't like to be hated tell them to stop bashing on my fucking door.

Posted by: gungholierthanthou ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 06:16AM

The big one for my TBM brother is "it will all make sense in the next life." There is no check-sum for irrationality that way. Every weird, fraudulent idea gets a free pass 'til you're dead. Brilliant!

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 05:49PM

gungholierthanthou Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The big one for my TBM brother is "it will all
> make sense in the next life." There is no
> check-sum for irrationality that way. Every weird,
> fraudulent idea gets a free pass 'til you're dead.
> Brilliant!

+1

It really IS brilliant. Give us your money, your time, your family, your life. You'll reap huge rewards in the next life. We promise.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 07:46PM

Mormonism is very specific when it comes to what's required of members. Tithing = ten percent, attendance = one hundred percent, questioning = zero percent.

But when it comes to what's required of the church, not so much. Doctrine = whatever is said at the moment, if then, rewards = you'll find out after your death, accountability = a lapdog employee assuring you all is well.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 09:56AM

Pretty funny to see the long list of excuses the cult has to choose from. Makes me think of a roulette wheel---spin and see which winner, rather excuser, you will get. There is ALWAYS an answer available.

Posted by: TW-RM ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 10:15AM

Summed up pretty well. I think most Mormons have no idea what they believe, just that they shouldn't drink coffee, hate gays (but only legally), and talk about pioneers.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 10:15AM

One "doctrine" I heard recently: "I love the church. That's why I stay in it."

Understandable, but hardly doctrine.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 11:20AM

Of course, that means that the corollary would also be valid: "I hate TSCC, that's why I left."

If it is not the one true and special church, then it's a matter of preference. And I prefer not to bend my brain, read the Book of Mormon, or submit to those awful interviews. I think most members would share that preference.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 12:37PM

This is my TBM wife's view..."I love the church, I love my calling, church and the BoM make me happy, only the church can make decent morgbots out of our children."

On the other hand, I hate the church and the BoM. Going to church or being subjected to BoM nonsense gets me in a foul mood and has me wanting to kill myself for the next few days.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 12:40PM

erictheex Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It seems like the new mormon doctrine on every
> topic is this:
>
>
> "Believe whatever you want as long as it keeps you
> believing, paying and it does not make us look
> bad."

I've been saying this for years. It's why they say the first law of Heaven is obedience. It's actually the only law that matters. Just follow the leaders.

But I would add, "...and doesn't disrupt the faith/obedience of other members."

Posted by: Aenon E. Moss ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 05:47PM

A bishop told me that once, he said: "You can believe whatever you want." But, again, later, added that I need to pay tithing and attend meetings, and God really didn't care what I believed, as long as I obeyed Church leaders.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 08:29PM

No....the real new mormon doctrine...........oh shit, I quit.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 09:16PM

Meh.. Let's admit that many Mormons are great folks. Just deluded. The problem is, each individual Mormon helps make up this vast monolith of deluded people who lend credence to a ridiculous body of theology. Just remember, the argument from popularity is not valid. Large numbers of people can be wrong at one time. How many Nazis were there?

Date: January 02, 2014 11:50PM

Let's admit that these great folks will laugh with glee when jesus burns the Earth in fire.

Posted by: Mk ( )
Date: January 03, 2014 12:44AM

Hey DDT, I'm as exmormon as they come, but it would be awesome to watch you try to spit in my brother's face. He'd put your teeth down your throat. Save the internet tough guy act, mmmkay sparky?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.