Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nolongerquestioning81 ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 08:17PM

I posted something about this on FB, it's an issue that's very dear to my heart (I'm a single father who thankfully has full custody). The responses I've gotten?
"You need to support the church and it's organizations"
"The church knows best for the child"
"Obviously he isn't a righteous father or he'd be involved"

It makes me SICK. Ugh. Another nail in the coffin.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 08:25PM

I was a single father, and my rights sucked.

Date: January 02, 2014 08:26PM

And that needs to change. Fathers have every much a right to be a parent as a mother does.

Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 09:12PM

I just want to say the reason why things changed with regards to mothers' right in divorce is because it used to be that if a couple divorced, the father always got to keep the kids. The mother was just thrown away & would struggle.

A hundred years ago, my great-grandfather was a wife beater & child abuser, & he was granted a divorce from my great-grandmother by saying that she abandoned him. He was a grifter who lied to her & her parents about what kind of person he was. She had a nervous breakdown, & ran for her life. She never saw her kids again.

This kind of shit is why views changed about mothers' getting custody & such.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 09:13PM

I agree, things do need to change, as fathers do have the right to be a parent. Sometimes, the father is really the more fit and stable parent for a child to be with. All too often, fathers get screwed over in custody decisions because they have the wrong genitalia to be seen as a parent. One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone says that a child's father is "babysitting" his own child, when to me, he's just being a parent along with the child's mother.

Date: January 02, 2014 09:19PM

My TBM sister: "Really if fathers would fight for their rights they can get them . It's just that - they have to fight for them which most are too lazy and don't care enough to do ."

and

"Utah is a complete mother state . And I would be totally lying if I said I wasn't happy about that"

AAARRRRGGGGHHH!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.