Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Torn ( )
Date: January 03, 2014 05:55PM

http://www.lds.org/topics/first-vision-accounts?lang=eng

http://www.lds.org/topics/race-and-the-priesthood?lang=eng

http://www.lds.org/topics/book-of-mormon-translation?lang=eng

Dear friends,

The above links are new essays that have been published by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints discussing difficult church history. I would encourage all of my LDS friends to read these essays, in an effort to facilitate an understanding about the most common reason members leave the church--historical problems--and avoid the temptation to make faulty assumptions commonly made regarding past members and why they have left.

After many years of introspection, this past year (2013) my family and I left the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. It was one of the hardest decisions we have ever made. I will always remember with fondness my time spent in the LDS church, and I dearly love all of my LDS friends that I have made across the country over the years. My family and I are on a new path, continuing to learn about and love our Savior Jesus Christ. We continue to support our friends of different faiths on their individual journeys, and hope that you will do the same for us. May this new year be blessed for each and every one of you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: closer2fine ( )
Date: January 03, 2014 05:57PM

Awesome......

Posted by: johnnyboy ( )
Date: January 03, 2014 06:16PM

I actually may copy and use this on my own Facebook, with your permission of course.

Posted by: Torn ( )
Date: January 03, 2014 06:19PM

Feel free :)

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: January 03, 2014 09:42PM

I have the utmost respect for you, Torn.

You are certainly brave. Good luck to you in your journey.

Posted by: torn ( )
Date: January 04, 2014 12:12AM

Posted by: closer2fine ( )
Date: January 03, 2014 11:21PM

Any feces yet?

Posted by: torn ( )
Date: January 04, 2014 12:11AM

A couple of dumbfounded replies ...can't understand why I would leave, want to know what made me question...apparently the first half of my post escaped them once they got to the part about me (gasp!) leaving the church. I have lots and lots of TBM friends friends across several states that will likely be shocked by this, but it will be interesting to see how many actually reply. Of the few that did, I got the standard "Gospel is perfect, men aren't" line of thinking. One even stated that nothing would be of benefit in reading the links because her testimony can not be shaken. I'm so tempted to reply "so, you're not going to read the essays, even though they are church approved?" But I'm trying hard to not be confrontational. Just hoping a few open minded, perhaps secretly wondering individuals will read through them and have some WTF moments :P.

Posted by: dazed11 ( )
Date: January 04, 2014 12:15AM

People can be so frustrating. Even articles on lds.org are anti-mormon literature I guess. I wouldn't be surprised if you get some private messages from other doubters in your circle of friends.

Posted by: Facing Tao ( )
Date: January 04, 2014 12:19AM

Yes, they are if they're presented by a disenfranchised member. Same experience with my TBM wife. I gave her the essay links to read without any extra comments, and she said I'm a conspiracy theorist.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: January 04, 2014 03:15PM

She's not going to read the essays because her testimony is really quite fragile and after she's sacrificed so much in this life to be a believer, she'd rather continue on in ignorance rather than confirm what she knows -- that the whole thing is a sham.

There . . .I fixed her statement for her.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2014 03:15PM by Devoted Exmo.

Posted by: ck ( )
Date: January 04, 2014 06:44PM

I think that's adorable that someone would refuse to read essays posted on lds.org b/c they don't want their testimony challenged in any way. Does that even make sense? I would expect that response if you'd posted articles from anywhere else on the internet, no matter how academic or reputable the source, but lds.org? The church itself? Bizarre.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: January 04, 2014 07:59PM

You can put anything in the same message as you coming out and the TBMs will forget everything else said. You could say "scientists have confirmed that an alien invasion will arrive tomorrow and wipe out earth. Oh, and I left the church." And they would just freak out about the church part.

Posted by: jujubee ( )
Date: January 04, 2014 01:39PM

Why don't you respectfully call them on it - that your links are on the church's sanctioned website?

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: January 04, 2014 02:02PM

Hate to pop the balloon here...

Torn, I bet most of your TBM friends would stay in The Cult even if TSM came out today and said it was all a sham.

The majority of TBMs would state that Satan got ahold of him.

Posted by: oldklunker ( )
Date: January 04, 2014 05:26PM

I asked my TBM brother if the prophet said the church was false and resigned would he stay in the church?

He said he would stay and would feel sorry that a prophet lost his testimony.

Good luck with that one.

Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: January 04, 2014 06:19PM

I have heard TBMs say this, too.

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: January 04, 2014 08:08PM

Sounds like when Warren Jeffs confessed to his brother in jail that he was not a prophet and never had been. It's even recorded on tape.

But of course, his sheeple still believe in him.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: January 04, 2014 07:03PM

I just sent these to my TBM cousin in am email. We'll see I guess. I made sure that I told her that these were on the LDS web site so she will know that they are no anti-Mo.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 04, 2014 07:17PM

Another family escapes in one piece! Congratulations and welcome to RFM.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: January 04, 2014 08:39PM

I posted those 3 links to my facebook without any comments. My mom is on facebook right now who knows maybe she will read it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.