Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 08:27PM

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151807530633687&set=a.10150527833908687.394782.26592653686&type=1&theater

Nothing like classifying the whole world into 4 squares in order to manipulate people into "working" towards being more "obedient"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 08:50PM

And the assumption that religion is good is pure BS.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 09:12PM

Disciple = Obedient Follower. Aren't they adorable when they think they've found a whole new way to look at Obedience.

Another cute little chart top make them feel good about being sheep. It's too easy.

Posted by: fudley ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 09:44PM

"And the motives for posting this chart were...?"
Great comment AC.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 11:29PM

Natural man ???
What is that ?

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 11:32PM

I took it as one who bathes rarely.

Date: January 06, 2014 11:37PM

Another one of God's enemies.

Posted by: IDRugger ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 11:44PM

A guy with real breasts. . .

Posted by: freckles ( )
Date: January 06, 2014 11:40PM

Natural man? As in the way God created him?

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 02:40AM

Date: January 07, 2014 02:43AM

According to the chart you just need to have impure motives and unrighteous actions.

Hmm, the Big 15 probably know more about that than anyone here.

Posted by: LabansWidow ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 04:33AM

Where does unrighteous actions + impure motivations + pretending to be righteous + claiming to be a disciple fit in? This chart is missing someone in my family...

Posted by: NeverBeenaMormon ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 05:41AM

They've changed a couple of the terms but have essentially taken a great quote from St Augustine and turned it into a dodgy diagram!

Posted by: anomaly ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 09:02AM

Adolf Hitler would love the obedient....the Church is setting up a group of people "ripe" for tyranny ..... I wonder if that is why the government built the new NSA computer facility in Utah?
Tons of "Enders" available .....

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 09:43AM

The problem is that most Mormons I know fall into the "hypocrite" category. They want to be good but they do terrible, judgmental, condescending things that hurt people. Unrighteous actions with righteous intent. Things like posting this chart, come to think of it.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 10:57AM

Well, "pure" vs. "impure" are subjective terms. So are "righteous" and "unrighteous.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 11:10AM

And isn't subjectivity the very lifeblood of the Mormon church? Shapeshifting definitions of words are very handy.

You always win when you make your own rules.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 05:52PM

I remember when the Mormons replaced "white and delightsome" with "pure and delightsome." I assume the chart refers to white motives, since pure and white are interchangeable.

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 01:23PM

I don't have FB, else I might post a comment on how subtly the most desirable type of person is a white box while the lead desirable type of person is a dark box... I work in PR, people, and it's all about messaging.

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 01:56PM

Perhaps a hangover from the good ol' solid racism days is all.

But it IS a fair improvement over their earlier two-box black/white right/wrong view.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 02:01PM

https://www.lds.org/broadcasts/ces-devotionals
https://www.lds.org/church/leader/tad-r-callister?lang=eng
"Elder Callister received a bachelor of science degree in accounting from Brigham Young University in 1968. He later attended UCLA Law School, graduating with a law degree in 1971. The following year, he earned an LLM (Master’s) degree in tax law from New York University. Prior to his call as a mission president, he was employed as a practicing attorney with the firm of Callister & Callister."

This is theology from the firm hand of the firm of Callister & Callister.

Jesus Christ need not save anyone. The Law will save.

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 02:08PM

As long as my motives are pure, I couldn't care less whether some judgmental religious fanatics consider my actions to be "righteous" enough.

And I don't usually consider the term "disciple" to be a good thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2014 02:08PM by nickname.

Posted by: gungholierthanthou ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 06:19PM

Black and white, either/or thinking.

Fundamentalists like to make concepts as simple as possible--it's infantile, but it's easy to grasp, like a rattle. This little chart is as simplistic as a four-square checker board. Doesn't that sound like a fun game?

Real life is infinitely complex. To believe the same way as the Simpleton who dreamed up this trite little box, you have to prune away most of reality.

When is a life-path decision black or white? Is the death penalty idea the result of good or bad motives? Let's consult the chart....hmmmm, nothing helpful here.

Should I steal that piece of candy from the store? That's a question no one needs a chart to answer, but is the only level of decision making to which this thing applies.

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: January 07, 2014 08:29PM

The same basic thing is used in science classes at BYUI.

www.byui.edu/Documents/instructional.../Dan%20moore.pdf‎ scroll to pages 4 and 5 for the box charts.

The message is: You can reconcile science and religion because "we don't know everything, but someday (when we die) we will learn the truth." They promote the wrong idea that the gospel includes all truth and thereby confuse science truth with religious BS and offer the weak minded with an easy out. Science is not the search for "truth" it the search for the best explanation we can find based on the data. As we get more data the explanation changes. Religion "truth" is supposed to be absolute - commandments etc.

This is total BS. The MORG can't lose with this answer and it keeps people from coming to the conclusion that both science and religious answers can't be right (i.e., either there was a worldwide flood or not, either there was an Adam and Eve or not etc.)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.