Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 10:39PM

From the Salt Lake Tribune comments:

"I have a daughter that is 21 now. When she was 15 she told me she might be bisexual. I haven't talked to her since. I moved her out of the house. And I won't ever talk to her again.

I have two boys in my house. Great kids. If one of them is a rapist, I will turn him over to the police, and I will never talk to him again. If one of them dates another man, I will toss him out so fast it will make his head spin. If one of them gets involved in drugs, same thing. Look, you guys can spend all your time loving the sinner and all that crap. I would rather just be done with them, wash my hands of the situation, and move on. I can always have more kids. If my kids want me to remain their father, they will do what I tell them to do. They know, by looking at their sister, that they don't have any choices in that matter. (oh, they still have free agency--i can't keep them from sinning anymore then the lord can...but I don't have to tolerate them, any more then the lord would...and he won't...trust me...)"

All that's missing is "And I'm a Mormon"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BestBBQ ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 10:57PM

The girl was a minor and he "moved her out"? What does that even mean? Did he toss her out on the street? Did she live with relatives? What kind of a fucking bastard does this? She's better off without the asshole father, but jesus h. christ on a hockey stick! He can always have more children? This shit takes the cake, seriously.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: October 10, 2010 10:00AM

And people wonder why gay teens are prone to suicide. Many of them fear being rejected by their parents, and their fears are completely rational.

I'm sure if I came out at 15 to my parents my life would be a living hell. I'd probably have moved in with my grandma, who was the kindest person I've ever met. My dad was terrible to me when I came out, but I was 25 and already had an MA.

Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 11:27PM

Wow, just... wow. That person is beyond sick. He just uses the church to justify his psychosis. "I'm not crazy, I'm a fanatic." But in all seriousness, he's just taking the Church's argument through to the logical conclusion. That's what is really sad.

I wonder if Packer would still have the same hardline stance if one of his own children had come at as gay as a teenager, or if he would have tried to understand his child as an individual. From the hurtful and vicious things he says I tend to think he'd throw the child into the street rather than admit he is wrong.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: October 09, 2010 12:23AM

Rebeckah Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From the Salt Lake Tribune comments:
>
> "I have a daughter that is 21 now. When she was 15
> she told me she might be bisexual. I haven't
> talked to her since. I moved her out of the house.
> And I won't ever talk to her again.
>
> I have two boys in my house. Great kids. If one of
> them is a rapist, I will turn him over to the
> police, and I will never talk to him again. If one
> of them dates another man, I will toss him out so
> fast it will make his head spin. If one of them
> gets involved in drugs, same thing. Look, you guys
> can spend all your time loving the sinner and all
> that crap. I would rather just be done with them,
> wash my hands of the situation, and move on. I can
> always have more kids. If my kids want me to
> remain their father, they will do what I tell them
> to do. They know, by looking at their sister, that
> they don't have any choices in that matter. (oh,
> they still have free agency--i can't keep them
> from sinning anymore then the lord can...but I
> don't have to tolerate them, any more then the
> lord would...and he won't...trust me...)"
>
> All that's missing is "And I'm a Mormon"

From a sign at the Prop 8 protest last year:

"For my mother so loved her church, she forsook her eldest son."

Date: October 09, 2010 02:12AM

It's all about him.

It's is way or the highway.

He knows everything.

And no one else matters.

You should read what he had to say about family members who killed themselves or died through drug or alcohol abuse.

He's a prize. :)

Posted by: Convert ( )
Date: October 09, 2010 04:49AM

People like that are why they lost me

Posted by: Hmmm... ( )
Date: October 09, 2010 05:39AM

Sounds fake.

Date: October 09, 2010 06:54PM

He's an anonymous poster on the Trib site so he could be pretty much anyone.

On the other hand, I've personally known people (not Mormons) who were this evil and self centered.

Frankly, from what he's said of his family life and childhood, he could quite easily be this lacking in empathy. In fact, he claims to be black and that two of his close family members died of drug related misadventures. From that tidbit it's not unreasonable to wonder if his mother didn't smoke crack while pregnant with him -- that can damage the social centers of the brain making it difficult, if not impossible, for the person affected to experience empathy at all.

Edit: The reason I consider it reasonable to speculate about drug use by Mom is because of the family connections with drug use -- not because of his ethnicity. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2010 06:56PM by Rebeckah.

Date: October 10, 2010 10:07AM

And so all the gay teens on the streets of SLC because their good TBM parents threw them out are fakes, too?

Look at Alan Keyes (not Mormon), the guy who ran against Obama in 2004 for the US Senate. His daughter, Maya, campaigned and worked for him during the campaign. Here is what he did to her the next year:

In 2005, when Maya Keyes was 20-years-old, she came out as a lesbian. There were reports her family threw her out of the house and stopped talking to her.[15][16] In an interview with, Metro Weekly, a Washington, D.C., LGBT newspaper, Maya confirmed that her father, "cut off all financial support." In the same report Maya said, "It doesn't make much sense for him to be [financially] supporting someone who is working against what he believes in."[17]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Keyes

Posted by: Diane ( )
Date: October 09, 2010 08:15AM

My oldest daughter told me she was bi when she was 14. My youngest son told me he was gay last spring. All my kids are amazing, terrific kids and I cannot even imagine cutting them off like this moron.

Posted by: Nalicea ( )
Date: October 10, 2010 05:37AM

Very interesting. I am a 31 year old bisexual female in a heterosexual marriage. I can be more honest here, on this board, than I could ever be with my TBM family. Only my husband and some of my closest friends, as well as some women I dated secretly when I was younger and rebellious, know of my bisexuality. (Oh, and my woman on woman encounters made for the most uncomfortable and humiliating repentance situations ever. I still can't believe I told all of that to a Bishop that I barely even knew.) The thought of telling my parents (my father just passed away this April), so my mom, my true sexuality seems pointless. It is part of who I am. I have been this way since I can remember, and there are times where I just want to shout it out and get it off my chest. I have the perfect facade, married with two kids, so I blend in perfectly. It is easier for me, as a bisexual, than it would be for a gay or a lesbian. Unless I fell in love with a woman earlier on, of course, and wanted her to be my life partner. I tried my hardest to avoid just that, and did.

But there may be some truth to this quote up above. The rejection is deep, even for just leaving the church when you find out the truth. When you find out that history is against the church and what you were literally brainwashed into thinking your entire life, even with that truth, your family still rejects you, shuns you, and ignores you. I don't think I will ever be honest with my family regarding my sexuality, especially after their response with my leaving the church on a foundation of stone cold facts. So what I am saying is, this kind of behavior from a TBM parent finding out that their child is not what they want, could be true. Every parent is different and it could happen anywhere, in any family. I am scared to death of it happening in mine, so I have always kept my mouth shut.

Posted by: Just Left ( )
Date: October 11, 2010 04:22PM

I am in a similar situation to you. Although I always had the good sense to keep my mouth shut in a Bishop's office. The final straw for me leaving was finding out that if you confess to even having same-sex attractions to a Bishop, it goes in your permanent membership file to be flagged, never allowing you to work with children again, because it is considered the same as murder, pedaphelia, or abuse. Worse, the Bishop you confess to will hunt down the person you "committed sins" with to force a confession out of them.

The person I had a female/female relationship with as a young college student lived in fear of me confessing to my Bishop and never told me until really recently. That was the final nail in the coffin as far as I was concerned. We've both since moved on and gotten married to men and had families. No one should have to live in that kind of fear for something that is genetic, and certainly not evil.

Confessions and repentance are supposed to be "blotted out in heaven and on earth". Clearly the on earth part doesn't apply to us mere mortals. The whole thing makes me feel so violated.

Date: October 10, 2010 09:54AM

I'm not a parent, but I don't see how you can raise a child and then reject him. Don't you have a heart?

Okay, a rapist I would have to turn over to the police, but I would still talk to him. I would be heartbroken, but more to wonder what I did wrong. Murder may be a bridge to far, but even then I would probably still maintain contact.

As for a bisexual, can't people see the difference between violent crimes and sexual choices? How does bisexuality even come close to being with rape in the same sentence? Maybe if she were a bisexual rapist.

I don't see how any practice that harms no one is a sin. It's a tautology that sexuality is a sin and therefore it is harmful. The only true sin is to harm someone else, and consensual sexual relationships are by definition not harmful. Adultery is a sin not because of sex, but because of the betrayal.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.