Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: toast ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 03:01PM

This AZ YSA conference has blown up all over my Facebook feed. Apparently 3500 people attended and had to pay $50 to get in (wtf). Romney showed up and other mormon celebs. Holland was supposed to be there but was 'called away by church leaders for an emergency church assignment' according to the Deseret Snooze.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865593985/3500-attend-Arizona-YSA-conference.html

I sure hope it was the October errr January surprise...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2014 03:06PM by toast.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: topped ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 03:34PM

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 03:36PM

Posted by: cynthia ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 04:59PM

Tithing only pays for admission to the temple.

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 03:47PM

The story and quotes from YSA conference are so ridiculous.

"Gullibility is where someone is so naive, so foolish, that they believe everything. “Gullibility is not faith.”

Typical cult double talk.

Last time I was in my local LDS ward, I recall members believed everything they were being told and read in the lesson manuals. I don't remember anyone disagreeing with anything.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 03:51PM

"[Holland] was called away...for an emergency church assignment"

There are only 2 things that the church would consider an emergency:
1. A negative impact to the church's money
2. A negative impact to the church's image (indirectly related to #1)

Hmmm-- maybe there is some truth to this being related to annointedone's surprise...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2014 04:01PM by hangar18.

Posted by: erictheex ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 05:57PM

His 10th chin came in.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 04:13PM

WTF...

What kind of church is this?

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 04:27PM

Doubting Thomas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WTF...
>
> What kind of church is this?

That's quite a bit a bit of money since the morg is tax exempt!!

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 05:50PM

..."The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has announced it's purchase of Brinks Secure Transportation and Cash handling Systems. An LDS spokesperson explained that, "It's new revenue generating "Motivational Seminar Division", had produced funds in excess of expectations. With these levels of cash proceeds, it was a needed and neccessary purchase."

...according to Apostle Jeffrey Holland, "I get to drive the trucks whenever I want!!"

Posted by: Bert ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 04:17PM

You have to pay so you can attend an event where you will be told you have to pay. This is a "church"? Really!?

Posted by: Hugh ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 06:11PM

...and that you are not guillable, but merely faithful.

Posted by: FredOi ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 04:19PM

I'm sure that's a token gesture. Would cost an easy few hundred bucks to run a conference per person. Dropped a brick here I'd reckon.
Hope the poor kids found someone to make them happy....and out of the church

Posted by: Nothing To See, Move Along ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 04:29PM

Well, this man isn't a dodo, but he sure is important enough to wonder away on an "emergency." We need further light and knowledge on this.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 05:04PM

I have been searching the web for an emergency in the LDS church that would require Mr. Holland to miss an event where people paid to see him speak...

Nothing.

Must have been a "sacred" emergency.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 05:07PM

He missed his afternoon nap and was starting to babble about secret priesthood stuff.

Or

They changed his flight schedule and he'd lose his first class seat if he wasn't at the airport on time.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 05:05PM

Illness of one of the 12 maybe?

Posted by: redpillswallowed ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 05:06PM

Wow, I've never heard that one! So, let me get this straight, if I'm TOO gullible then I'm an idiot. If I'm TOO cynical then I'm an apostate.

If I REALLY want to have faith, I need just the right amount of gullible balanced by just enough cynicism.

Well, sounds about right for TSCC. Balance the gullibility of the ENTIRE Joseph Smith story with the cynicism towards anyone who questions it and I have Mormon faith!

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 07:12PM

Well ya, it's like Goldilocks and the Three Bears.

Remember that fairy tale?

Posted by: redpillswallowed ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 07:19PM

zenjamin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well ya, it's like Goldilocks and the Three
> Bears.
>
> Remember that fairy tale?

Why, yes I do and I always remember it's sequel fairy tale; "Goldiplates and the Three Witnesses".

Posted by: jujubee ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 05:20PM

we may hear later. hinkley's daughter pulled out of a fireside the day he died. we didn't know why until the press reported it.

$50 seems okay. it probably lasts a few days, and they buy food, rent space, have audio, pay speakers/entertainment. also, you may not have to pay for dinner if you aren't eating, etc.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 06:10PM

Silly, naive me, but you'd think that prophets, seers, and revelators could head off issues before they become emergencies, or at least be prepared for them.

These guys are in reaction mode.

Posted by: Hugh ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 06:14PM

Like, before Holland got on the plane, the spirt could have whispered, "Jeffrey, Jeeefrey, stay home..there is an emergency looming...dooooon't board the plane Jeffrey." I mean, he is an apostle an all, one of the Lard's anointed special witnesses. I don't know..I would like to see one of the Q15, just one, walk into Primary Childrens Hospital and heal a sick child with cancer. Has it ever happened? Nope.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 06:14PM

My guess, with all the gay marriage stuff in the news, and Romney being there, they did not want him saying anything that might put Romney in an embarrassing position, politically.

Romneys done running for president, in all likelihood, but that doesn't mean he can't still win a senate seat, become an ambassador, or get elected to governor again. That is, unless Holland craps all over him, by putting him in a position where he either has to support or condemn the Lord's anointed's latest anti-gay rant.

Posted by: toast ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 06:49PM

From what I saw leading up to this on Facebook Elder Holland was the big sell of the event more so than Romney. Must've been disappointing for a YSA to fork out $50 and not see him.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 07:04PM

My MIL once paid to go to some LDS learning week thing only to find out that the LDS speaker had just been arrested for murder.

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 07:23PM

Oops.

Posted by: zenmaster ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 07:06PM

Next time I see Elder Holland in the produce aisle in the local grocery store, I'll have to ask him what happened! :)

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 07:09PM

3500 people had to pay $50 each. So TSCC made $175,000 on this. I refer you to my post on NAME SOMETHING GOOD ABOUT TSCC. This is another bad thing. The bad list is alreada EXTREMELY LONG and getting LONGER BY THE MINUTE. I know it is hard to think of something good about TSCC (itself not the people).
Toast - I'm sure they won't offer refunds - cheap fucks.

jpt - no shit! You are right!

quote by President Gordon B. Hinckley: “There is no obstacle too great, no challenge too difficult, that we cannot meet with faith.” - REALLY GORDY? Good thing you are dead cuz you'd faint now from all of the stuff going on.

Maybe Tommy is dying?

"Holland probably made it up just to remind people that he's more important than Romney" - Hell Holland is more important than God. Oh wait he IS God.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2014 07:18PM by verilyverily.

Posted by: jujubee ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 07:18PM

it depends. I've seen them do different packages. $50 may be for the whole 3 days. you can chose, or go to the free stuff.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 07:15PM

Holland probably made it up just to remind people that he's more important than Romney

Posted by: anonymousone ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 07:16PM

The heavenly father hot line was ringing.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: January 13, 2014 07:21PM

Hmmmm...emergency assignment? Maybe the entire leadership of a stake has apostasized, or a mission has gone rogue like the French mission in the 1950s. Or a big class-action suit has just been filed against the church.

I'll bet there are lots of missionary emergencies these days, what with the influx of younger elders and sisters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2014 07:21PM by stbleaving.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.