Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: soju ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 02:18PM

So, I've been drinking on the weekends. I find it a great way to relieve the stress of the week. I'm not getting myself plastered, mind, I'm having a most two beers on Saturday, two beers on Sunday, and the rest of the week nothing.

Anyway, I've tried a bunch of beers and have figured out more or less what I like in that category. Next, I want to move on to wine. My brother recommended I start with a prosecco. My problem is that I don't know jack about wine, and I have so far been unable to figure out how things are arranged at the liquor store. For the past two weeks I've gone in intending to get a wine, wandered around the store until I got embarrassed that I obviously didn't know what I was doing, and went home with beers instead. I know I should probably ask the staff, but years of conditioning in tscc against drinking makes me nervous enough that I don't feel comfortable asking someone to help me find it.

Is there anyone familiar with either the Provo or Draper liquor stores that can help me find a good starter wine to try this weekend? Or even just explain how the wines are arranged so I can find it myself? Draper is easier for me to get to because it is very close to where I work, but provo would be next easiest.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 02:22PM

Anyway, when looking through the wines, look for sparkling wines. Prosecco will be in that section. If you need some names as a guide, look for Barefoot Bubbly, Freixnet, Cook's, and the Proseccos should be somewhere in that aisle. If all else fails, just take a deep breath and ask the cashier where they keep the Prosecco.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 02:25PM

Wine should be red.

Johnnie Walker Black, accept no substitutes.

Christopher E. Hitchens.

On a personal note, as a former drinker, a well made margarita is the perfect drink.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2014 02:27PM by deco.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 02:30PM

I don't even drink much. I actually like going to the liquor store--get a kick out of it, but when I was looking for scotch as a gift for my boyfriend, I had to look and look and look. I didn't dare ask either. I knew I'd sound stupid. I did eventually find it.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 02:32PM

Just ask the clerk! Or do they not have helpful people in the Utah liquor stores?

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 02:38PM

Wine is a lot of work. You have to look at it, smell it, roll it around, and all kinds of other stuff before you get to drink it.
If you have a Totaly Wine store near you the staff there can help you. Also join a wine club. I like reds the most.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 02:40PM

Just stating the obvious, but who cares how long you wander the aisles?

I think you're projecting thoughts onto the liquor store clerk that are just unreasonable.

You might think the clerk is watching you thinking "what a dummy." But really he's probably thinking about how to get in that one girl's pants he met at that party last night.

Relax, dude!

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 04:12PM

Exactly. Also, with wine, just look at the little rankings the employees have cut out of Wine Spectator magazine and taped onto the shelf. It's red or white, cheap or expensive; and, within cheap it's palatable or undrinkable. Eventually, you learn what you like. But do avoid sparkling unless it's champagne, and avoid sweet (but you'll probably start off on that). Red's best, but start with white.

Posted by: DeusExMalcontent ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 02:43PM

Not saying you're a dummy, of course. Just the name of the book series.

Especially helpful is the pronunciation guide for different wine, so you won't feel like a total rube when asking for help to find something.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/wine-for-dummies-cheat-sheet.html

Pro tip: Don't buy any non-fortified wine that comes with a screw cap rather than a cork. Also, get a cork screw.

Posted by: moira ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 03:00PM

Prosecco and OJ = Mimosa. Yum.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 03:05PM

I am new to wine and am no expert, but one type of wine I recommend is white zinfandel because it is relatively sweet and fruity making it perfect for a beginner. Beringer makes a white zinfandel that is reasonably priced and goes well with grilled meats or pasta.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2014 03:09PM by hangar18.

Posted by: Das boot ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 03:13PM

If you are going to start drinking wine, don't go cheap. If you are going to drink wine pair it with your meals and learn to cook with it. State liquor store in Provo has a decent selection and ask other people what they like and think about certain brands and try it out. If all else fail buy some tequila and make some margaritas.

Posted by: Adult of god nli ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 03:15PM

This reminds me of the old joke about why Moses wandered 40 years in the wilderness--because he refused to stop and ask directions!

Ignorance of a topic is so easily cured, especially these days with Google, and it's certainly no sign of stupidity! Just start in learning and tasting. People love to share their knowledge, so ask them. Everybody's always learning--especially about wine.

Try this for starters:

http://www.sunset.com/food-wine/wine-pairings/wine-deals-00418000084705/

Posted by: rachel1 ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 03:16PM

Personally, I don't like wine and find that most of the time it gives me a headache even after just one glass.

However, I do very much like Moscato. It's an Italian dessert wine that had a very sweet flavor and might be a good starter wine for you.

Posted by: Washed and Disappointed ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 03:18PM

The rule of thumb is that wine newbies should start with sweeter wines because they expect it to taste like juice. Occasionally there are exceptions, so don't limit yourself until you experience a variety. I would not spend much $$ at this point.

I suggest you get Barefoot Moscato (white) and Sutter Home Sweet Red. This will give you both a red and white at the sweet end of the spectrum. You can also look for a Reisling that specifically reads "sweet" on the lable, not "dry". If you think "wow, this is great", then you fit the newbie stereotype and you should incrementally move away from sweet.

If you don't dig the sweetness, jump to the other end of the spectrum and try a sauvignon blanc (white) and cabernet suvignon (red). Yellow tail makes acceptable affordable bottles of both.

As you narrow in on varietals you like, study them and spend more. For the past several years, my go-to red/white combination is Carmenet Chardonnay and HobNob Pinot Noir, both of which are in most Utah stores for about $15.

Most Utah liquor stores arrange wine varietal (type). Designated "wine stores" also arrange by region. There won't be a "moscato" sectionk, but you will find it under "other white". Same with the sweet red. There will be dedicated racks for Cabernet Sauvignon and Sauvignon Blanc.

Cheers!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2014 03:19PM by Washed and Disappointed.

Posted by: foggy ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 03:24PM

There is a guy at the Draper liquor store that was super helpful when I was in a wine club and always had to find varieties I'd never even heard of. (Twice I was one of only a few with the official type for the month because no one else could find it)

If it helps, as long as it wasn't ridiculously busy, he seemed to enjoy wandering around the store with me recommending wines.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 03:24PM

Believe it or not, you can ask the employees at the liquor store where things are. I love red wines: merlot and cabernet. Just ask where these are. Don't be embarrassed. The people in the liquor store are there to help you. Also Pinot Noir is good. Try these and if you don't like them, try something else. And yes you want one with a cork. Don't drink wine on a completely empty stomach. Have some cheese with it (YUM!) or have it with a meal. Wine and cheese go together well. They old saying is that red wine goes with red meat and white wine goes with fish, but I don't follow those rules unless I am actually having a dinner party. For wine and cheese, you can have different kinds. You might want to try a champagne too. One that is cheap but tasty is Andre.
Another poster mentioned pronuncuation: Merlot is merlow; cabernet is cabernay; pinot noir is peenoh nowaw.
If you are in Utah, there will not be a totally wine store. And you won't be able to taste it there so try these and see.
If you want a good scotch, it is Chevas Regal (spelling?) It is pricey but fabulous. Drink on the rocks or mixed. I have no idea what to mix it with. I never mix it. Anyone else?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 03:27PM

You're turning this into a job. Relax. Order a glass of wine when you go out for dinner.

Unless you are sharing a bottle of wine, a whole bottle is a lot for a person to go through, even spread over a couple of days. By the glass is relatively expensive, but cheaper than a whole bottle you don't need, and gives you more of a chance to try different varieties.

There's no big hurry, and a pretty fair percentage of Americans don't buy wine at all, ever.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 03:44PM

Every single wine recommendation in this thread is garbage. In my opinion. Moscato is vile. Sutter Home is a terrible brand--I won't even cook with it.

What I suggest -- and I'm not sure this is available to you where you live -- is attend some wine tastings. People can recommend wines all day, but without having any idea what you like and what things taste like to YOU, all recommendations are pointless. We have liquor stores here (I'm in the South) called ABC stores and they have wine tastings, where you get to sip a bunch of different wines (as many or as few as you like) and then if you like one or four, you can buy them right there. Great way to market wine.

So I'm a big fan of Pinot Noir (that's a red wine on the lighter side of reds), and my favorite Pinot Noir is by King Estate. King Estate also makes a lovely Pinot Grigio (that's a really light white wine). King Estate is located in the Willamette Valley, OR region. (Get it here: http://www.wine.com/v6/search/?term=king%20estate)

I'm also a big fan of Penfold's wines, specifically the Cabernet Sauvignons, but also some of the Shirazes. Cabernets are a little heavier than Pinot Noirs, and Shiraz is a little heavier than a Cabernet. Merlot is heavier yet, in general. Some people love Merlot, but like the guys in Sideways, I can't fucking stand Merlot.

And now a word about corks. This advice of "get wine with a cork, screw top is crap" is really outdated advice. Do not judge a wine by its closure: many quality wineries have gone to screw-caps and other tops.

Wine Spectator explains:
"So why are some wineries abandoning the traditional cork stopper? Alternative closures, including things like screw caps, plastic corks and glass toppers, are one way to deal with an unwanted compound called 2,4,6-trichloroanisole, or TCA, which makes wines taste musty and dank. TCA is created by an interaction of phenols (organic compounds found in all plants) with things sometimes found in wineries, like mold and chlorine. TCA is often traced to faulty corks; hence, the flavors it imparts are often simply referred to as "cork taint," and a wine that suffers from TCA contamination is often called "corked" or "corky." In fairness to corks, though, TCA can also originate in cardboard cases or wooden pallets; it can even contaminate an entire winery. But corks are probably the most common source of TCA, and that's the principal reason wineries are abandoning them."

All of the Mollydooker wines from Australia come with screw caps and they are rated as some of the best wines coming out of that country. Get them here: http://www.wine.com/v6/search/?term=mollydooker

Posted by: Demon of Kolob ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 03:50PM

Go to Grand Junction Colorado there are lots of wineries there that make all types of wine even mead and ports. Tasting there are free.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 03:58PM

dogzilla - you havn't been to Utah have you? They don't have wine tastings. You have to buy and try it at home! Utah's liquor laws are all about what TBMs will approve of. The stores are small and hidden away and CONTROLLED. There are NO sales etc., no markdowns. You mentioned that "without having any idea what you like and what things taste like to YOU, all recommendations are pointless." I agree with this so how can you say ALL of the recommendations are garbage? Soju might like one of the recommendations. Then you went on to mention some of my recommendations as ones you like. (are they garbage or are they some you like?) Are you reading this while drinking wine?

There is a store in SLC that sells Wine Making equipment. When I lived there, we had a beehive and we made our own mead. It was good.

It is obvious that many of the posters have NO IDEA what UTAH is like. You can't order wine with dinner....there are a few restaurants like this but they are rare and pricey. You can get yourself invited to someone's home for a wine tasting party if you know someone like that.
The Liquor stores in Utah are an embarrassment to the world. When the Olympics came to SLC, they changed the liquor laws for 3 weeks so they would not be a laughing stock. Trust me, the liquor laws are insane. Heaven forbid that someone might take time out of their raping 12 years olds to have a glass of wine. I am happy I am not there anymore. SO HAPPY!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2014 04:05PM by verilyverily.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 04:18PM

I agree with everything you said verily except that there are sales and markdowns every month on certain products, usually wine. There is a red wine I really like that is usually $26 but is put on sale for $14 every couple of months. They hardly ever put beer on sale though and if you like beer, that is where you truly get screwed at the Utah liquor stores. You can get a 12-pack of very tasty microbrewed beer in almost any other state for the same price as a crappy 6-pack from Utah liquor stores. Besides all of that,they have a VERY limited variety.

But as to what other people have said. Just ask the staff. They aren't just hired to ring you up at the cash register. Most of them do have some sort of knowledge or learn it as they work there.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 04:20PM

Right. There's no "wine tasting" in Utah. And when you cross the border into NV or WY and see what's available and for what price in a standard grocery store, you'll be very mad!

Posted by: No Mo Lurker ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 04:05PM

I agree with asking the staff for help. If it's a good liquor store, they should be able to give you some recommendations. A knowledgeable person will ask you some questions before recommending something - what will you be serving the wine with? Do you prefer a red or white? Dry or sweet? How much do you want to spend? Don't let this throw you off. They're just trying to make sure you get what you need. And don't be embarrassed by being a newbie. They will be glad to share their expertise.

As for how wines are arranged, generally they are sorted by red or white, so you have to know if the type of wine you're drinking is red (like a Merlot) or white (like a Chardonnay). The store I go to also separates them by country of origin - France, Italy, USA, South America, etc. They usually have a bunch of cases in the middle that are either new wines, wines on special or wines that were featured in Wine Spectator.

I am really lucky to live near a great liquor store with a wonderful staff. I'll go in the wine section, tell them what I'm serving and how much I want to spend and they'll usually come up with something good. Maybe you can ask if someone knows a liquor store with a good staff. Don't be embarrassed to ask for help. My husband worked in a liquor store during college and he loved recommending wines to people.

Posted by: No Mo Lurker ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 04:07PM

Meant to say South Africa. South America is obviously not a country :)

Posted by: Utah County Mom ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 04:10PM

I found it helpful to take a friend, who knows her wines and such, to go with me the first time I went to a liquor store (love the one in Pleasant Grove off the freeway). We had fun and I learned a lot.

Posted by: birchtree ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 04:21PM

I have taken several wine classes from Sheral Schowe and her Wasatch Academy of Wine. She now teaches many classes through Harmons cooking school. The classes are fun, you'll meet other wine enthusiasts, and you'll have a chance to sample the wines with different foods.

Here is a link to the current schedule:

http://www.harmonsgrocery.com/cooking-school/

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 04:36PM

I am perhaps the only person who ever graduated from U.C. Davis and doesn't know crap about wine. I have a glass of Burgandy with dinner about twice a week; wife likes white Zinfindel and has that about twice a week.

Red wine shows up in the carpet when the cat knocks over your glass. White doesn't.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 04:44PM

You can always tell a dedicated wine drinker, by the unusual way he displays throw rugs on his floor.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 04:39PM

Just a warning. Years ago, when I first started drinking, I asked the owner of a wine shop what he recommended, I told him I was new to drinking, and he mistook me for a tourist. Ended up going home with a bunch of bottles of Australian wine, largely considered the worst wine in the known universe. It wasn't just bad Aussie wine either, but the absolutely worst brand of Aussie wine in the world. Guy who owned the place couldn't get rid of the stuff. Haven't been back to his shop since, and warn friends to stay away.

Posted by: from the 5th wife ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 04:42PM

How funny to remember our first bottle of wine. It was hubby's birthday, and I thought it would be fun to try wine. It was comical that I had to drive to a different town to buy the wine, and even then I surveyed the entire grocery store to see if any mormons I knew were there. Then I got other stuff in my cart in order to hide the wine, and then walked quickly down the wine aisle and just grabbed something. I don't recommend this when selecting wine. FYI. When I got it home I didn't know if I needed to refrigerate it, or drink it at room temp. Do you drink wine with ice? I had no idea, since I had never been around wine before. After the b.day celebration with the kids was over, and they were in bed, I locked our bedroom door, and surprised hubby with the wine bottle. It was only then that I realized that I couldn't open it. We had to make do with a screw and a cordless drill. Then I poured a little into a fancy wine glass, and tasted my first ever alcohol. (I was 46)

Gag! Nastiest stuff ever. We poured the entire bottle down the drain. Biggest waste of $4.99 ever! FYI, I suggest not buying the cheapest bottle you can find.

The next time we tried some, I just asked someone in the liquor store. I told them I was new to wine, and they suggested getting barefoot Moscato. It is good, but now that I have had more experience with wine I find that it is too sweet for me. Also, I was told that a good way to start with wine is to fill your glass 1/2 way with ice, then mix diet 7-up and wine equally. That is good too, and eventually I found that I was liking more wine and less 7-up. I now like Ste Chapelle Soft Red. It is still sweet, but not like the white barefoot moscato.

Good luck, and have fun experimenting.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: January 14, 2014 05:00PM

I know a lot about the Provo liquor store. But that was when I went to BYU in the 80's. Haha.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.