Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: johnnyboy ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 04:39AM

Go check out the updated webpage and sing hallelujah.

I hope the CES letter keeps getting updated with new info. This is too awesome.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 09:17AM

Link?

Posted by: smo ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 09:19AM

cesletter.com

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 09:37AM

The Late War is the smoking gun as far as I'm concerned. We will never find the original manuscript that Joseph and his cohorts wrote and which JS dictated from. It's gone. Most likely burned in the stuff Rigdon insisted be burned at his death. So the closest we'll come is the various influences of the time on the BOM. That one can't be discounted.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 10:07AM

It does answer the question why the Book of Mormon, a direct translation from "Reformed Egyptian" was written in pseudo King James English.

Posted by: Ideas for improvement ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 10:42AM

The CES letter is great. I don't want to knock Jeremy Runnells at all. I think so highly of it that I wish we could give him feedback on simple ways to improve it for greater impact.

For starters, it needs a new title. Few people, even many Mormons, know what a CES Director is. Too wonky. Also, the title or subtitle should have the word Mormon in it.

Just thinking of a better title:

Letter to Mormon Church Educator
Why I lost my testimony

I like having it in a PDF that can be printed. But there needs to be web/HTML and mobile versions of it, too. After all, most people will read it on their computer or mobile device. The beauty of Rundell's document is that it doesn't have to be read from start to finish. A reader can jump from topic to topic of interest. The website should have the content organized by the chapters and have sub-webpages for each area underneath. Maybe it can even be purposed into a simple slide deck like many news sites do these days.

In the table of contents, it is repetitive and unnecessary to put "Questions and Concerns" next to every chapter heading. Simplify.

The document needs better sub-headers to guide the reader and reaffirm a main message in the next.

There needs to be a personal message from the author before the introduction that sets up everything in one or two paragraphs. This would also be a change for Jeremy to share about the positive feedback he's received from doubting Mormons.

The FAIR response, and response to FAIR, should go in an epilogue.

Page numbers. Just put the page. Don't put "___ of 82." Too busy. Unnecessary.

I have more...

Posted by: lightminded ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 02:52PM

He is easily reached. Would you mind if I forwarded your comments to him? I'm sure he'd really appreciate the feedback.

Posted by: Ideas for improvement ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 03:46PM

Sure. My comments were hastily written. Hope he gets the gist. It's a great resource. Job well-done.

Posted by: cesletter ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 07:42PM

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to implement a few.

Posted by: msp ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 02:19PM

Jeremy, you are amazing and have my greatest thanks. Your April 2013 CES letter came out only days before I started really researching tscc. It was an invaluable source of information and gave me a good overview of the issues before I went on to reading MT and other books. It was my springboard to leaving tscc!

Does anyone know specifically what is new in this version of the letter, besides the Late War section?

Date: January 16, 2014 07:43PM

Awesome. Thank you for sharing your story.

Posted by: seeking peace ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 02:54PM

Jeremy did an amazing job of covering "The Late War" and "1st Napoleon"--this is all so concise--now if I could just get someone to read it!

Date: January 16, 2014 07:44PM

Thanks!

Posted by: Facsimile 3 ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 04:33PM

I actually prefer the current title. It helps set it apart from much of the evangelical noise out on the web and gives it an authoritative air. It would probably make sense, though, to provide a prominent explanation of the acronym on both the website and the PDF.

Posted by: glittertoots ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 07:36PM

Just another to chime in that I prefer the current title. Its probably a bit to late to change the title even if Jeremy wanted too... would be very confusing.

I agree. I'm not going to change it.

Date: January 16, 2014 07:45PM

Good idea. I'll add it in the "About" section.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 12:26AM

I would add the history of Joseph Smith's "martyrdom" as well, along with the William Law Interview.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 04:46PM

I agree with Ideas for Improvement except for changing the title.

1. It shows that it's coming from a member, someone who even knows that CES is

2. It exposes the corporate nature of the church with a centralized education department, very Orwellian

3. It shows the church does have paid clergy after all

I agree. :)

Date: January 16, 2014 10:31PM

Plus, how can you change the title of something that's become so legendary in so little time?

It's like saying "oh hey bob Dylan, ya know that song you got famous for called blowing in the wind? Could you change that title a bit?"

Jeremy. Major props for putting into words what I have been reading scattered across the web since the late 90's.

Your book really is the single best resource for people beginning their journey out of the morg. It sealed the deal for me an my wife.

Cheers

Date: January 16, 2014 11:48PM

Wow. Thank you for sharing that. It's stories like this that make all of the intense late nights worth it.

My sincerest best to you and yours.

Posted by: FredOi ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 04:52PM

The chart reference of the Chiasmus needs to reference which chapter of the Late War book

The guy is a legend

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 04:55PM

Maybe a good sub title that would pop it up when mormons google certain things.

The title caught my eye at the very first. I had a bishop that was an uppity up in CES. I was curious to see what kinds of things he knew about, but refused to think about.

Posted by: brian ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 10:46PM

"Late War"? What is that?

Date: January 16, 2014 11:25PM

Can't tell if serious or just trolling.....
Hmmm

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 12:23AM

You might read a little of Tom Clark's and my dialogue on what trolls were like in the early days of RFM... You can find it using a search on either of our monikers.

If they persist and their manipulations become obvious, ADMIN will either remove them or some of us "excitable" types will make sure there's enough of a brougha they'll be obvious.

Here you go Brian. I just dropped in on the Exmo Conference on Saturday Evening, and the discussion on that one--which was news to me even though I'm generally in regular contact with Dave Twede, Craig Criddle, Jeff Hamil, Tom Donofrio, and the other genuine luminaries--was particularly intense and involved.

http://askreality.com/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2014 12:24AM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: brian ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 05:35AM

Thanks for the link. Like some jerks on this site, I don't know everything.

Posted by: newnamenephi ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 03:59AM

Incredible job, Jeremy! I love the updates. After rereading this updated essay, I hopped over to FAIR for their critical rebuttal. After reading about 6-7 sections, I about threw up. The church simply has no come-backs nor answers.

I'm so grateful that you've taken the time to update the essay. It'll prove to be invaluable to THOUSANDS of devout Mormons who, like my family, are finally realizing the truth about Mormonism. I was active, BIC, RM, TM, sitting in gospel doctrine class when I came across D&C 49:16 where it says you're to have ONE WIFE. That led me to FAIR which ultra-quickly led my whole tithe paying family out of the cult.

Thank you!

Posted by: Metoday ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 04:32AM

Now it has a web site like this, can it be updated continually? As in a section on tithing and words they remove from manuals "who has means" Lorenzos actual conference statement.

And Brigham Youngs conference address about how evil Emma Smith was and how she tried to kill Joseph.

I know there are millions like this, but a few like that were real "what the, they bury and hide this stuff they lie stuff"

JRs a legend. The Late War and Work on Napoleon are just home runs.

Seriously, I show this to TBMs they finger in ear and make up bs excuses.

But this is actually embarrassing now.

Also was the pronunciation guide covered? I missed that. I mean it has names like Laman, Lemuel, Lehi, Laban all on the same page.

One day I'd like to see Morgan and Monroe explored more for the entrance of MorMon into the book and Ether, all the stuff happening in upstate new York about freemasons. That's why Bushman sh**s me. He knows all this but doesn't link it together. Flunkie/ shill as far as I'm concerned.

CES letter rescued my wife and I. No question. We knew 99% of it by then, but it was the way it was summarized and put together so simply and clearly.

Spent too long on it? Not for my wife and I it wasn't

Posted by: Unknown numbers ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 04:35AM

This is my primary rescue document.
End of story.
You have already secured a place on the Palmer, Brodie, Quinn, Phillips Benson SusieQ et am shelf

Bravo agree

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 04:50AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.