Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: byumormon ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 09:34PM

Ok 5% truth in BOM is like 95percent evil and 5% goodness. Do you think missionaries will be judged even harder for spreading false doctrine. Joseph Smith a dirty scavenger?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 09:49PM

Most missionaries are just young kids, brainwashed from birth to believe the LDS line.

IF the kid knows the truth, then maybe they might be judged by God for spreading what they know is a lie. I don't know the answer to that question.

But most of those kids actually believe what they are preaching.

I think God understands that.

Posted by: Sandie* ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 09:55PM

Um.... that's a tough one. :-) But, I'll give it my best attempt. Ha!

1. So you can boast that you belong to a church that has 15,000,000 members? Other churches have more members.... Let me try again..... um..........

2. Here's a "peculiar one:" You can boast that you belong to the only church on the face of the earth whose eventual prophet placed a rock in a hat and translated the BofM off said rock?

3. ???? Sorry, but I'm running out of quality reasons.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 09:56PM

Why would missionaries be held up to a standard that doesn't even exist? Who says there is a judgement? I must have missed it when God descended in a pillar of light to give us the ground rules.

Which 5% is true BTW? It's not fair to only count the articles a, an, and the, as the true part. :)

But to answer your question, there is no good reason to be LDS. Period. There may be "necessary" reasons for some who are trying to save their families, which is different, but other than that--forget it.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 10:06PM

Being LDS presents a goldmine of opportunity! If you're into investment scams, that is.

Posted by: wellsville ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 10:18PM

Most dynamic and best organized faith in the world

Posted by: Moron I ( )
Date: January 16, 2014 10:34PM

If I were Bruce R. I would be excited for non-stop sex with all of my eternal companions during millennial reign. Does anyone want to speculate on whether the law of diminishing returns would be neutralized during this time? Millions of orgasms would tire me out.....but I would probably have a six-pack instead of my keggar after all that dolphin dancin'.

Posted by: Dead Cat ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 01:11AM

Tail

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 01:30AM

This is like my post where I challenge posters to NAME one good thing about TSCC (not the people but TSCC). You found 5% of it true..........pray tell what is that?
I can think of ONE revelation JS had that was true. He said that Porter Rockwell would die with long hair and that was true. Of course Rockwell had long hair his entire life so it wasn't much of a revelation.............just sayin.
So what 5% is true?

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 01:35AM

Best.Jello.Ever.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 01:48AM

Same as for any religion. A belief in the theology, the teachings, etc.

Posted by: danielkoontz ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 03:39AM

Mormons do have a fascinating history--but tragically, many of them are completely unaware of it, since much of it contradicts the faith promoting tails they've learned all their lives. One of the things that has brought me happiness since I've left the church is reading this history (as compiled by reputable scholars; not the fake history peddled by the church).

Posted by: Lois Lane ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 08:23AM

I think JS actually told Rockwell no bullet would harm him as long as his hair was long.

Rockwell actually DID cut his hair before he died.

The reason he cut his hair was so it could be used to make a wig for Agnes (I think that was her name) Coolbrith, Don Carlos widow (DC was JS younger brother) and JS plural wife (he married her after DC died) AND Amasa Lyman's plural wife (AL married her after JS died.)

Agnes COolbrith moved to California and left Mormonism behind.

EVEN SO, PW saw fit to donate his hair for a wig even if cutting his hair meant he was vulnerable to death.

Very generous.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 07:45AM

You're a masochist?

Posted by: FredOi ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 07:49AM

Resigning from the morg church.

#****yeah!

(Need to be a member first to be able to resign)

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 07:52AM

To escape Scientology.

Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 03:16PM

Out of the frying pan? I dunno, might be an improvement, I guess.

Posted by: noshirking ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 08:07AM

Best underwear ever.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 01:07PM

In my family, you get cut out of the inheritance if you don't believe in Joe Smith.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 01:31PM

Really? I'm afraid that this might be the case in my family as well, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to save more money by not paying tithing than I would get back in inheritance.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 02:15PM

Great point, Chump. I made some pretty good money for years. I probably would have come out behind by paying tithe and inheriting. I just realized that four or five thousand a year adds up to a lot over decades.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 01:09PM

Because all your family and friends are LDS and you don't want to risk rocking the boat by entertaining skepticism.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.