Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dsharp ( )
Date: January 21, 2014 07:25PM

Here is the following link:

LDS Church opposes changes to Utah liquor laws

http://fox13now.com/2014/01/21/lds-church-statement-supports-current-alcohol-laws/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: January 21, 2014 07:30PM

regulation. LMAO

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: January 21, 2014 07:33PM

From the article:
"The church states that Utah’s alcohol laws and regulations are based on well-reasoned and sound public policy considerations adopted by Utah’s legislature, not on the Church’s religious doctrine regarding alcohol."

WHAT-FUCKING-EVER. Everyone knows that any time the Church speaks the legislators blindly obey. This is the reason Utah's liquor laws are so incredibly stupid. With this new statement, it sounds like the stupidity will not be going away anytime soon. I need to get out of this goddamn state.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: January 21, 2014 07:34PM

I am SO SHOCKED that TSCC opposes changes. I needed that today. LOL. I am SOOO HAPPY to live out of Utah!!!!!!!!! I am here in alcoholic city, so NOT!

"The church states that Utah’s alcohol laws and regulations are based on well-reasoned and sound public policy considerations adopted by Utah’s legislature, not on the Church’s religious doctrine regarding alcohol." - of course it has nothing to do with TSCCs religious DOCTRINE regarding alcohol." So this is DOCTRINE now? They sure pick and choose "doctrine" according to which pair of socks they put on that day huh?
Utah is the only state with such moron liquor laws. But those laws are based on "sound public policy considerations adopted by Utah's legislature." - and how many of Utah's legislature are TBMs? ABout 100%. GAWD I AM HAPPY TO BE OUT OF UTAH!!!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2014 07:38PM by verilyverily.

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: January 21, 2014 08:02PM

adage about self-destruction applies to The Brethren.

"There they go,shitting in their own lunch again!"d

I believe this comes from the farmer/rancher's frustration at putting out hay for livestock to eat and seeing a quarter of it literally going to waste due to the trampling, peeing and pooping on of the farmer's labors.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: January 21, 2014 07:42PM

So conservatives that want to deregulate all business with the exception of alcohol, what goes on in the bedroom, and in a woman's uterus?

I only lived in Utah for two years, and I will probably have to return for my parents funerals, but I really hate that state.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: January 21, 2014 07:46PM

Yep-- in their eyes big government is okay as long as it is used to oppress women, minorities, and atheists.

Posted by: dsharp ( )
Date: January 21, 2014 07:43PM

I love this comment on the link lol

"Once they pay the same taxes as the citizens then fine, they can have an opinion, until then they need to butt out and keep their doctrine to their congregation and leave the rest of the world the hell alone!"

Posted by: zenmaster ( )
Date: January 21, 2014 07:46PM

LOL :)

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: January 21, 2014 08:15PM

dsharp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I love this comment on the link lol
>
> "Once they pay the same taxes as the citizens then
> fine, they can have an opinion, until then they
> need to butt out and keep their doctrine to their
> congregation and leave the rest of the world the
> hell alone!"
That comment is right On target!

Posted by: truthdelicious ( )
Date: January 21, 2014 07:48PM

When are they going to get that taking any position is a bad position. This just makes the church look more and more Utah centric. When is the last statement they made about Australian legislature? Aren't they the "true church" over their too?

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: January 21, 2014 07:59PM

My comment:

Our grocery, drug and convenience stores all sell alcohol. I don't have to buy the alcohol and never once has the product jumped in my cart and forced me to buy it. Clearly, mormons need more self control.

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: January 21, 2014 08:04PM

adage about self-destruction applies to The Big Boys.

"There they go,shitting in their own lunch again!"

I believe this comes from the farmer/rancher's frustration at putting out hay for livestock to eat and seeing a quarter of it literally going to waste due to the trampling, peeing and pooping on of the farmer's labors.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 21, 2014 08:04PM

So much for the Mormon church not having as much control over the state of Utah as people think.

Posted by: CTRringturnsmyfingergreen ( )
Date: January 21, 2014 08:21PM

These two sentences are back-to-back:

“…Alcohol policy in Utah is closely tied to the moral climate of the state...." (Translation: Word of Wisdom)

The church states that Utah’s alcohol laws and regulations are based on well-reasoned and sound public policy considerations adopted by Utah’s legislature, not on the Church’s religious doctrine regarding alcohol.

Posted by: Lasvegasrichard ( )
Date: January 21, 2014 08:35PM

Some more of that good old controlled behavior through means of compulsion . Now who in Hell was responsible for that doctrine according to TSCC ? Oh that's right ... Uncle Satan !

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: January 22, 2014 12:14AM

The LDS seems to be slowly losing control in so many ways. They are losing the battle against gay marriage on the political front. They are even losing it internally with about 1/3 of Utah's Mormons favoring Gay Marriage. Women are starting to assert themselves how ever slightly, they are starting. They have had to take steps to redefine themselves and address some of the history issues we all know so well.

If they do not show they can still command a leadership role somewhere, they will become irrelevant, even in Utah.

Posted by: capitolmoroni ( )
Date: January 22, 2014 01:04AM

Alcohol laws made by people who have never tried it and think its evil. Yet their founding fathers drank. Lol

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 22, 2014 08:40AM

For years in Utah, you had to buy an airline mini bottle if you wanted a single drink.

When the powers that be in Utah finally admitted that it was possible to sell liquor by the drink without society collapsing, they went from requiring the mini bottle, to banning it. Serious. You cannot legally own a mini bottle of liquor in Utah.

So, if you need 3 T of a liquor for a recipe, or simply want to try something without plunking down for a whole bottle you might not like, you are SOL in Utah.

Everywhere else in the country, you can buy a mixed drink, or you can buy a mini bottle. It never ever occurred to them to make one or the other illegal. Just Mormons, who have an inborn need to jerk people around. Jeez.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: January 22, 2014 08:57AM

Mormons abhor freedom.

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: January 22, 2014 04:17PM

Important Statement from COB:

"You better do what we say. We still own this state even if Mormon Think hits are up and no matter how many times people watch the BBC Jeff Holland is a lair video on Youtube!"

By the way, alcohol is bad, bad, bad

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: January 22, 2014 04:23PM

"Sooo... they're opposed to free enterprise and in favor of government"

I would too If I had opportunity to pocket all the profits myself!

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: January 22, 2014 05:12PM

I think Utah could be like other states and not lose a dime. They could still tax liquor sold in retail establishments. They could probably come out ahead by selling the state owned liquor stores. The state owned liquor store exists because TSCC wants people to be inconvenienced and shamed. In small town Utah if your car is parked in front of the liquor store, all of your neighbors know that you drink. For shame.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 22, 2014 04:34PM

aren't stats on driving fatalities attributable to impaired (drink/drugs) available?

How does UT stack up now (I'll return & report what I find).

alcohol problems don't just 'disappear', they ripple thru the population.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: January 22, 2014 04:45PM

We're not weird! No, really, we're not.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: January 22, 2014 05:28PM

I live in Kentucky now instead of Utah. Kentucky has a ton of "dry counties," and I live in one. You'd never know it though.. The county seat is not dry at all, in fact has dozens of drive-in liquor stores within it's generously large city limits. Each little county makes their own laws and there's 120 of them. The fact that Utah has state control instead of county control is telling. The legislature of Utah is mostly Mormons, and they want to drive that bus.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2014 05:29PM by rationalist01.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: January 22, 2014 05:57PM

Now the election is over they can let their control freak selves out of the closet

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2014 05:58PM by ladell.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: January 22, 2014 05:59PM

LDS,INC is still really angry that favorite son Mitt Romney lost the presidential election and the mormon moment is gone. He & his precious religion is now just the butt of jokes.

My guess is that the church is also irate that same sex couples were allowed to marry in mormon controlled Utah, if only for a day or two.

LDS.INC is not going to play nice anymore.
No accommodations for non-TBM Utahns. They agreed to that during the olympics and it produced next to zero converts.
Those darn olympic visitors only wanted to drink beer,trade pins and socialize! Very few were interested in temple square or mormonism.

Posted by: villager ( )
Date: January 22, 2014 06:07PM

….and one more thing.
Next door colorado is selling legalized pot and they didn't even ask Utah if that would be okay. Mormon leaders are getting no respect! Sheesh

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: January 22, 2014 06:01PM

Excerpts from the comments on the SL Trib site:

"Thank God the (majority LDS) legislature has its official marching orders now. Who knows what kind of bedlam would’ve occurred on the hill without this guidance."

"My issue with this is not whether alcohol is good, bad or indifferent. It's very simple; religion does not belong in politics - and, if it wants to be in politics, it should have its tax exempt status taken away - that's any and all religions."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.