Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nancy Rigdon ( )
Date: January 25, 2014 12:12PM

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogscrimecourts/57434065-71/schaerr-religious-utah-attorney.html.csp

In an email purportedly sent to his colleagues, Gene Schaerr made it clear why he was leaving his lucrative post as a partner at a prestigious Washington, D.C., law firm to defend Utah’s laws barring same-sex marriage: his Mormon faith.

The leaked email was first posted by Elie Mystal on the Above The Law blog. In it, Schaerr said he was taking a temporary position with the Utah attorney general’s office.

"I have accepted that position so that I can fulfill what I have come to see as a religious and family duty: defending the constitutionality of traditional marriage in the state where my church is headquartered and where most of my family resides," Schaerr said in the Jan. 17 email to co-workers at Winston & Strawn.

Then, quoting from the Bible, Schaerr said he left with confidence that "all things work together for good to them that love God" and invoked a blessing on the firm and his colleagues.

Mystal’s reaction was "whatever."

"Some people’s God calls them to help the poor or feed the hungry or sue for peace," he wrote. "Other people’s God gets bent out of shape when loving gay or lesbian couples call themselves ‘married.’ ... People are (allegedly) called, by their faiths, to do all sorts of things."

But Mystal did question the appropriateness of the email.

"You can’t send out firm-wide emails wishing Jews a ‘Merry Christmas’ and hoping that they accept Jesus Christ as the one true savior over the holidays," he wrote. " ... It’s only with gay people where Bible-based inequality is still professionally respected as a difference of opinion. But maybe that’s changing?"
The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) took umbrage with Schaerr for citing his personal religious beliefs as the primary reason for taking on the case.

"It’s alarming that the reason Gene Schaerr gives for taking this position has nothing to do with the U.S. Constitution or the legal issues at play," Fred Sainz, HRC’s vice president of communications, said in a statement. "Schaerr’s entire motivation for taking this anti-equality case is to impose a certain religious viewpoint on all Utahns — and that’s wrong. When you become an attorney, you take an oath to uphold the U.S. Constitution, not any particular religious doctrine."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: January 25, 2014 12:26PM

Previous discussion, and additional links here:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1145264

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 25, 2014 12:34PM

It sounds like "someone" is making a big play to get his second anointing. Ha ha. Perhaps the church will reimburse Mr. Schaerr?

Bring it on Baby! Because I am hoping this type of behavior will once and for all put an end to the blurred lines that America tolerates when it comes to the separation of church and state. Progress has been made recently, but this could bring it all the way home.

I am tired of cults being tax exempt. Especially cults who own billion dollar shopping malls, ranches, etc. Teach creationism in Sunday School, but leave it out of the schools unless it is in a religious studies course and taught along side buddhism, hinduism, and Holy Rollerism.

Mormonism. Destroying families everywhere.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 25, 2014 12:50PM

when he made his "stand" at the schoolhouse door
http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nightly-news/47362544#47362544

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 25, 2014 07:49PM

Mormon first, attorney second.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.