Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: freckles ( )
Date: January 25, 2014 11:44PM

For anyone who doesn't know this shooting happened today. Several young adults from our ward work there, including my child. My child is safe thank goodness. I tried to check on several people we know who work there or were on lock down because they were there while shopping or at the movies. Everyone we know is safe and my heart is broken for those whose lives were tragically shortened. This evening I found out several ward members called to check in on some of the young adults who work there and was kind of miffed that not a single one of them called to check on mine. I am extremely grateful my child is safe and sound although emotionally distraught. I should know better, than to expect tbms we have known for years and years to genuinely care for my child. You would think that in a such a tragic situation they would not let religious differences to get in the way. I was wrong again. There is no end to the shallowness of mormons.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: January 25, 2014 11:49PM

What you said is true. I hear that a young mom was killed. No other details have come out here in the west that I am aware of.

Date: January 26, 2014 12:05AM

Here in columbia, the gun man shot two people dead in a store started shooting directly at random people in the mall. A woman was shot who lived, and then he shot and killed himself. He apparently had plenty of ammo and two makeshift explosives. Our child's best friend and coworker was feet away from the gunman. They are safe, but horribly shaken. I feel like I'm being petty by being kind of irritated at the ward members but at the same time, it's not like they don't know my child works there, They see my child there all the time, we are closet unbelievers who are semi active (long story.) These are people we have known for 12+ years. How can they act like that? nothing says you don't matter like not giving a crap if you are dead or alive...literally.

Date: January 26, 2014 12:09AM

Thanks summer, it was long day for sure. I feel horrible for the poor families who have to get news that their loved ones are not coming home. It is the center of Columbia, with the amc and all the top restaurants right there at the mall.Very family oriented. It's packed every weekend. Glad you were not there today. :)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 26, 2014 12:17AM

I was at a different mall today. I know if my mom were still alive she would have been frantically tracking me down. :)

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 25, 2014 11:50PM

We just had a shooting a couple of weeks ago down in Roswell NM.

I understand that people get lonely, starved for attention, or fightin' mad or just plain crazy and want to take it out on somebody - but why on total strangers or children??

The older I get, the more grateful I feel that my shadow is growing longer on this earth, as it were.

Posted by: lumanwalters ( )
Date: January 25, 2014 11:52PM

my wife and I stopped for a night in roswell 2 years ago. We loved it.

Date: January 25, 2014 11:59PM

I shop there on occasion and have always liked that mall. The news was flying around the region today. Very shocking. I'm glad that your child is safe, Freckles. That must have been so worrisome for you.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: January 26, 2014 12:19AM

I am so sorry to hear about this. I hope all of the victims (Mormon and non Mormon, Jew, Holy Roller, whatever) are OK. Nobody deserves to get shot by some lunatic.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: January 26, 2014 12:39AM

I live in western Canada, but have been to that mall many times and visit Columbia regularly, definitely scary. Glad your child is safe and that the fatality count was low compared to how much ammo the gunman had.

Posted by: sundaymormon ( )
Date: January 26, 2014 06:13AM

that really sucks! Sometimes nothing hurts more than to realize how cold people actually are. The painful realization when you can see how much people SHOULD care, but they Obviously Don't. People are forgettting how to love people in general. Especially True for TBM social-mask-wearing- LDS. Their priorities are fucked up, it's more important how they appear to others instead of how they treat others.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 26, 2014 07:33AM

So sad for everyone who was there and who knows them.

Posted by: rachel1 ( )
Date: January 26, 2014 07:35AM

Freckles, I'm so glad your daughter is okay! How is she doing emotionally/mentally with this?

My oldest granddaughter works at that mall and had been called in to work early. Fortunately, she had not arrived at work yet but her parents didn't know that when they got word of the shooting and were pretty freaked out. My granddaughter is feeling pretty shaky and does not want to go back to work now.

Date: January 26, 2014 08:39AM

My child feels the same...dOesn't want to go back to work today. And might not have to since they are keeping the mall closed again today. But sooner or later the mall will reopen. I think everyone who works there feels the same. Everyone will be on guard, apprehensive and a little jumpy for awhile.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 26, 2014 08:18AM

Used to be my mall, too. So happy not to live in MD anymore, but not because of mall shootings.

When fellow RfM poster Helen gets me my Canadian work visa, I won't have to worry about mall shootings.

Date: January 26, 2014 08:22AM

Why happy not to live in MD? Just curious. I have lived many different places and think it quite pleasant here.

Posted by: utahmonomore ( )
Date: January 26, 2014 08:32AM

Not surprised...When my brother died and I was still a so called member back then not one of them even called to check on me. Then 3 years later when my dad died, same response. But wait, it gets better...When I found out (at work) that my Dad died, my boss looked right at me and said "Well, I think you should still work today") I was so ticked off at their lack of empathy (no time to grieve, work, work, work...) I got up and walked out and said "I may or may not be back tomorrow!"
I guess they do play favorites. They are such jerks.

Date: January 26, 2014 08:43AM

That is truly awful and sick. More and more I'm discovering that some people have the emotional depth of a rock. No compassion, empathy, sympathy or even just common courtesy.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: January 26, 2014 10:47AM

That is awful Utah.... Just unreal.And freckles that is it - they have no compassion, the emotional depth of a rock. Well said.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.