Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 01:05PM

I just installed a new server at work and set the screen saver to show amazing photos of the cosmos: planets, stars, nebula, and other breath-taking things. I lost myself for a moment thinking about the vastness of space and, relatively speaking, how puny the earth is. I didn't really understand until last year how staring off into the cosmos has taught us numerous things about planet earth and ourselves. I was lost in awe.

I was also lost in awe singing "Highway 20 Ride" in a bar this weekend as I was touched by the story of the speaker of the song as it unfolds in the lyrics. The intensity of feeling a parent has for their child runs so deep that it's hard to fathom.

I'd much rather think about these kinds of things than whether I did my home teaching this month. Life is so much richer experiencing it in 3D - no Mormon God required.

Have a lovely, awe-inspired day.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 01:14PM

Be careful. You might get TRONed.

Ron

Posted by: Iconoclast ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 02:35PM

You might want to check out this video from the The American Museum of Natural History:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17jymDn0W6U

Posted by: Iconoclast ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 02:42PM

...The extant of humanity's first radio signals (the blue spherical grid.) About a century at light speed.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 05:12PM

I had it framed. It progressively shows sizes and distance from our solar system, then the local star group, then the galaxy, then the local galaxy cluster, then super cluster that is 75 million miles across.
And that is just a tiny little part.

We truly cannot fathom how big the universe is. The more we look the bigger it gets.

My feeling when looking at the universe is this, “we were lied to, religion can’t touch this”.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.