Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bratschedan ( )
Date: January 29, 2014 06:51PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: almost ( )
Date: January 29, 2014 06:54PM

We traveled and trained the mission. We also over in a nice place with about 12 other missinaries who worked in the office. I was the easiest and best time of my mission, no trackting or bugging people, just travelng the mission. We did have to rat people out for brewing rules, but we alwayls let them know we were coming so only the idiots got caught

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: January 29, 2014 06:59PM

I was AP in the West Indies, which meant flying to other islands a couple times a momth to visit the missionaries stationed there, working in the office assigning companions, deciding which areas/ islands to open next, preparing training materials, talks, etc.

We did a little teaching in the evenings now and then, but it was pretty much like having a 8-5 office job, plus getting to travel. I enjoyed it very much, mostly because I got to see so many Caribbean islands.

Posted by: jjnewbs ( )
Date: January 29, 2014 10:51PM

When were you an AP? I was in that mission 00-02.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 04:05PM

I was there from 1983 - 1985....St. Vincent, Barbados (was AP while there), Jamaica.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: January 29, 2014 07:01PM

brag, mostly...

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: January 29, 2014 07:34PM

And usually become even more of a prick.

Date: January 29, 2014 07:37PM

I think that the correct MorgCult term for that is, Stiffneckedness.

Posted by: GenY ( )
Date: January 29, 2014 09:46PM

Obtain the monikers of "Anal Penetrators" by most of the rest of the missionaries signifying the figurative sexual action to the MP to obtain that level in the mission...or so it was in my mission.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 02:08PM

In my mission the president's wife became weirdly attached to them, nothing sexual, but yikes, they were obviously her pets

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: January 29, 2014 10:51PM

Masturbate a lot...

Posted by: The Holy Spearmint ( )
Date: January 29, 2014 11:12PM

This message has been approved by Vaughn J Featherstone®

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: January 29, 2014 11:04PM

In my experience, they mostly went around berating other missionaries about their numbers, trying to find rules that other missionaries were breaking, holding themselves up as the shining examples of what a missionary is "supposed" to be like, and kissing the MP's backside. If you've ever had the misfortune of working under a truly horrible manager, picture that, but turn him into two 20-year-old, self-righteous, religious fanatics.

Posted by: Jack Rabbit ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 12:51PM

Sobel: You are making me look bad, Lieutenant. This is not Dog Company, this is not Fox Company, this-this is EASY Company. And under my command, this is going to be the best and finest company in the regiment. I want the names of six men, their infractions and your disciplinary recommendations on my desk by 0130, is that clear?

Winters: What infractions, sir?

Sobel: FIND some.

Date: January 30, 2014 02:17PM

Exactly!

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: January 29, 2014 11:06PM

Date: January 29, 2014 11:10PM

More like Associated Pricks...

Posted by: sage ( )
Date: January 29, 2014 11:15PM

Plan their ascent to the quorum of the 12.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 29, 2014 11:38PM

In my mission they got to be the MP's proxy bullies and @ssholes.

Posted by: BigM ( )
Date: January 29, 2014 11:54PM

Used our unlimited miles to see every interesting site in the mission. Even drove around one of the brethren to stake conferences. If we had time we would show the missionaries how it should be done and "inspired" them to do better. BTW the top baptizer in the mission broke most of the rules most of the time. So much for blessings for obeying the white handbook with exactness. So pushing that idea was not going to work,the secret was out!

Posted by: dazed11 ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 03:21AM

There was an RM in a ward I served in that told us about how he had one companion that he fought with all the time and during their time together they baptized the most people either of them did at any time in their mission. He asked his mission president how that could be considering how contention drives away the spirit. The mission president said they probably would have baptized even more people if they hadn't fought so much. Nothing the church tells you to do actually seems to work.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 12:19PM

My roommates and I nicknamed the EQP in my BYU ward "the AP". That's how he acted even after being home a year or two. Self-righteous, always yammering about home teaching etc. This guy even had a CTR license plate.

Low and behold, he was relating a mission tale about an encounter with one of the Lard's anointed GA--and sure enough he was indeed an AP. We all looked at each other and grinned when we heard that confirmation of our suspicions.

The dude will make one hell of a GA himself one day--or one hell of an exmo. Hey, people would have been justified in thinking I would never find the exit.

Posted by: moira ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 01:36PM

I take it that only male missionaries can be APs?

Date: January 30, 2014 02:15PM

Yep. A good rule of thumb for Mormonism is if the calling puts you in a position of authority over any adult male members, its a male-only position. Women can NEVER lead men in Mormonism!

Posted by: my2cents ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 02:01PM

I did lots of travelling around the mission, working with other Spanish speaking elders. My AP comp, also a spanish speaking missionary, and I worked up several discussions outside of the standard 6, because those english to spanish literal translations were terribly innefective with the latin people. We taught those alternative discussions and also went out to investigators with the spanish speaking elders.

We did very little if any chastisement over mission rules. As a Spanish speaking elder, you learned really quick that you had to break lots of rules to be successful. We also had a lot of fun along the way, tried to keep it upbeat and never missed opportunities to laugh and goof off a bit. We played endless practical jokes on these elders; we did not want to be like the AP's that had preceded us. As a result, I think that our visits around the mission were looked forward to, not despised.

Ironically, it was while serving a mission that my view of the GA's and their prophetic callings got smashed to pieces. If they truly had revelatory powers, why didn't they adapt discussions to fit various countries and ethnic origins, instead of making a "one-size-fits-all" approach? Earlier in my mission, within weeks of arriving, I found out that the typical anglo approach to teaching latin american peoples was totally wrong. And many of the mission rules precluded activities that would establish the type of relationship required to move into a gospel oriented discussion. What did we do? That's a story I've told here before, but in short, we ate with them, played with them, and embraced their culture through their music. Yes, we had a band... :)

Posted by: Ralph ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 02:07PM

They become special witnesses to the names of the special witnesses to the name of Jesus Christ.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.