Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jenny ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 03:57PM

You can reply by email if you'd like.

Our son got out of the Army this summer and his Kawasaki Ninja 650R has been in our garage ever since, with its expired Hawaii tag and no insurance.

2007, 1,288 miles. Serviced at 800 miles, oil is changed, gas is new, runs well.

Problem: we don't ride and aren't planning on keeping it--although it was sorely tempting at one point, but this is The Year of New Computer for my hubs, so that's where any extra cash is going.

QUESTION: How best to sell it? If we sell it directly, then we CraigsList it and people come to the house and drive it. Do we take money for the sale before they test drive? Is it safe to have people coming to the house like that? We've also thought about selling to dealers but there won't be as much money in that but son says just sell it and he's not even expecting over $3,000, but I really think we can do better than that...

OTHER QUESTION: We have to get it tagged and registered in CA but since we can't ride, we are thinking of asking a friend to help us out by taking it to the DMV and going through that with us. How much should we pay him? Would liquor and wine do, or should we give him cash?

OPINIONS: We're planning on setting the price "To Sell" and thinking that asking under $4,000, maybe $3,800 and throwing in the coordinating helmet and lock. Does that sound fair?

We're in the LA area so the weather is warming up (but not this week!) so we think people will be thinking recreational very soon.

ALSO: we have a brand new Harley leather jacket (Size L) and a brand new Fulmer Flat Black Evil Spell Full Face Helmet.

Plus gloves and another leather jacket that coordinates with the Ninja and a safety vest (required on Army bases).

This has been like entering a whole new world and, man, would we love some touring bikes some day to ride up and down Big Sur on...California Dreamin' indeed...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 04:01PM

Okay, I don't get it. "Our son got out of the Army this summer and his Kawasaki Ninja 650R has been in our garage ever since..". Okay, so now he can ride it, right?

I'm lost trying to tie together your son mustering out and you're hankerin' to sell his scooter.

Weird.

Ron

Date: February 16, 2011 04:03PM

His stuff was shipped here to California because this is where he recruited out of. He is living in Oklahoma and shipping everything there was going to cost too much and, in the meantime, he got into a situation where he had to buy a car (long story, but it's a done deal) so he's needs to sell the bike...which means WE need to sell the bike. Hope that helps!

Posted by: Whiskey_Tango ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 07:34PM

This time of year is when the selling of a bike is best..Those of us who are partial to two wheels instead of four start to go nuts thinking of bikes..If you price it right it will sell. especially if you are near a military base or college.

If you are near a college or military base advertise in their newspapers and bulletin boards. classifieds work well too.

A nice bike will always sell.

Date: February 16, 2011 08:33PM

Husband grew up in a military family and then flew helicopters (and taught pilots) for awhile...

We also call my ex Sierra Hotel...

: )

Posted by: Whiskey_Tango ( )
Date: February 17, 2011 12:14AM

it wAs MY Radio call sign in iraq.

Posted by: theGleep ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 04:44PM

I've heard it's a good idea to ask more than you expect, then add "or best offer"

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 04:47PM

Okay, here's my advice and it's tried and true (did in myself). Find a Kawasaki Dealership and see if they'll put it on consignment. If you can't find one that will, then try other dealerships. Takes the logistics and communication out of your hair. They'll get more foot traffic and less "lookey Lou's" than you will with an advertisment.

Just sayin'...

Ron

Date: February 16, 2011 04:51PM

My dad wrecked/totalled a consignment Mercedez once (we weren't allowed to say "Mercedez" in our house for 25 years) and there was a deal with the contract, or lack of one, that got the dealership in trouble for allowing test drives. We'll make sure we research consignment contracts!

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 05:56PM

ExMormonRon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Okay, here's my advice and it's tried and true
> (did in myself). Find a Kawasaki Dealership and
> see if they'll put it on consignment. If you
> can't find one that will, then try other
> dealerships. Takes the logistics and
> communication out of your hair. They'll get more
> foot traffic and less "lookey Lou's" than you will
> with an advertisment.
>
> Just sayin'...
>
> Ron

Sounds like a plan to me.

Posted by: Mo Larkey ( )
Date: February 16, 2011 04:52PM

hold them and let them ride it around the block... If they balk don't do the deal. Trust no one... It will sell.

Posted by: Lester Burnham ( )
Date: February 17, 2011 01:34AM

You shouldn't have to ride it to get it registered/licensed. If they require an inspection, that's different. Would find a friend who rides and ask them to take it in; most bikers would do that I believe--shouldn't have to pay for that.

If you can a copy of Motorcycle Consumer's News, they publish used bike values about twice a year--may be on line. You also might check e-bay motors and see what comparable bikes are listed for or Cycle Trader (on line).

Or take to a Kaw dealer and ask what it's worth---and what they'd give you for it--which is more likely what it's worth.

I doubt you'll get a lot of "unsavory" people interested in a bike like a Ninja, but if you're uncomfortable when someone wants to test ride it, just ask them to leave their license with you; some dealers do that. If they won't, no keys to ride.

I always cash the check or get a cashier's check before I hand over the title and receipt.

If you advertise too high, you might not get any takers--suggest to advertise very close to what you actually want, and then don't deal too much.

I've sold them on line or just parked somewhere safe with a for sale sign and a phone number.

Just some thoughts; good luck!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.