Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 02:05PM

I have a lot of mormon friends posting/talking about a Henry B Eyring quote which goes like this:

"No one is destined to fail"

But what I wonder is what is so prophetic about that? Isn't that a given, or kinda obvious?

Mormons and their "inspirational" quotes from leaders...

I think this stuff means a lot to them because Mormons spend a lot of time at church hearing about how terrible the world is, how we are basically living in "Sodom and Gomorrah" how we are all sinners and bad bad people, being guilt tripped...

So the sudden realization that no one is destined for failure seems very amazing and awe inspiring to them. I think that's sad.

At the same time though, hasn't it been taught that God knows which of us are going to inevitably fail? Isn't this life just a test where we prove Him right? So obviously, according to Mormons, some people are destined to fail.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 02:30PM

I'm still on fb for 2 reasons. My daughter works in Alaska 5 months in the summer and I like to see what she is doing. And my cousins are on there. Makes me feel like I'm connected to family since I lost my parents 5 years ago.

I only have about 44 friends ON PURPOSE.

But I get so many of the mormon "thoughts." Sometimes I really want to reply, but I don't. Doesn't do any good.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 02:43PM

haha, yeah I wanted to reply with my last sentence, but instead I just came here to post my thoughts.

You are right though, no one really gets convinced of anything over facebook conversations.

Posted by: lydia ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 03:12PM

I am not sure anymore that anyone is destined for anything

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.