Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cwm31s ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 08:51PM

Well, sitting in the family vehicle coming home from eating out at a good restaurant, my dad and i got in the discussion about the fact that i no long support the TSCC.

So he goes about this drivel that the BOM is so great because it supersedes the bible and all that, so he gave me a challenge of reading the BOM in 100 days from front to end, and then to pray about it's truthfulness. He doesn't really realize that no matter what he says, the BOM is a fraud from front to back, he will probably never see it for what it is.

I have prayed about the BOM for years and never got any yes for an answer, so i know it won't help to follow yet another challenge. TSCC is a joke.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 09:04PM

It only seems fair, if he's issuing "challenges".

Also, it seems fair to ask, if it doesn't work to read the B of M in 100 days, will it be necessary to read it with a fox? Or in a box?

When will the challenges end?

Truth is, there is always some reason (your fault) if you don't get a witness. (Sarcasm alert).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2014 09:05PM by imaworkinonit.

Posted by: newnamenephi ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 09:07PM

You should go buy two copies of the 1830, 1st edition BoM and then get the Tanner's book that has all the changes to it. Then, sit him down and say you'd like to read it with him...out loud, together, while verifying the many corrections/changes that have been made over the years. Comparing the original "most perfect book" with your current edition, "more perfect-er edition." Maybe that will spark some logical thinking. :)

The reprint is only $15-$20.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 09:17PM

Dad, I'll read your book if you'll read mine (Palmer or the CES letter).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2014 09:17PM by caedmon.

Posted by: lovelilith ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 09:23PM

Tit for tat. Agree to his challenge if he will agree to spend the next 100 days learning about real church history, reading and studying the issues out in his mind, following the footnotes and citations back to the sources, and then praying about it as much as he wants. This is plenty of time for the lights to come on if he's ever stashed any questions away on a dark denial shelf.

At the end of 100 days you won't really be worse for wear and tear, but he will have gained much knowledge. If he still clings to his TBM way of thinking, you may just have to respectfully agree to disagree with each other.

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 09:29PM

Give him an equal time chalange if he refuses refuse him. If he's not willing to give a bit he cant expect to take and take and take.

Posted by: Ihidmyself ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 09:31PM

difference how much you fast and pray. If you come to the wrong conclusion then your dad will conclude you did it wrong. Don't ever agree to THEIR rules for determining truth. The burden of proof is on THEM to prove it true, not you to prove it false! HE needs to provide the evidence that the BofM is true. You don't have to prove it false. So ask him, what evidence does have to proved it true and PLEASE remind him the billions of other people pray about THEIR beliefs too so OBVIOUSLY prayer is NOT a reliable method of determining truth! Tell him to man up and provide the evidence, and you don't care how strongly he FEELS about it. A billion Muslims feel good about the Koran toon

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 09:44PM

The OP does not appear to be "falling" for any trap and made it clear that a re-reading will achieve nothing. I don't see a lot of exMos falling for these traps, just reporting when TBMs extend the challenges. I do know of quite a few people who were fighting to get a testimony, or to hang on to one, who accepted these challenges or, more commonly, issued themselves the challenge.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.