Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mythb4meat ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 05:53PM

This is written from a Protestant Christian perspective. Just informational....not preachy, so don't flame me too vigorously.

Since leaving the LDS fold many many years ago, I have been through some amazing things regarding faith, spirituality, worship through music and much more. My own faith is a story for another time; but I am a keen observer of much of the religion seen on satellite/cable TV, and here is something kind of interesting. BTW, as I watch most of these clowns, I have a very sensitive "BS meter" and it rings loudly.

To me, the WORST TV preachers are the 2 main guys asking for money......Mike Murdock (the Wisdom Center) and Todd Coontz (Financial Freedom). These guys are despicable purveyors of greed, bible mis-interpretation, and fraud. They are enabled by network owner David Cerullo and others.

But there are about 4 or 5 men teaching the Word of God, whom I respect very much. My VERY favorite is JOSEPH PRINCE. He is the teaching pastor at New Creation Church in Singapore. Wow, he is truly an academic and very scholarly, well versant in Hebrew and koine greek. The entire theme of his teaching centers around GRACE and the fact that as believers, our worthiness is based on what Jesus did, not on anything we can do. So refreshing and freeing to a former Mormon. And Joseph Prince goes in-depth and wonderfully explains Bible teaching in a way that makes perfect sense.

Anyone else seen this guy on TV?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: glad2see ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 06:14PM

TSCC taught us that hard way - Do Your research - about religion - buyer beware!
Joseph Prince "Prosperity Gospel" comes to mind.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 06:25PM

I am repelled by any and all religious preachers. I'd much rather listen to someone like Daniel Dennett, Matt Dillahunty or P.Z. Myers. Also I've found plenty of transcendent experiences by communing with nature and meditating without any supernatural god or jesusy crap at all.

Posted by: mythb4meat ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 06:27PM

I agree.....one should not rush into religion.

Joseph Prince is not a prosperity gospel teacher or proponent.

Some well known PG preachers are: Creflo Dollar, Kenneth Hagin, Jr, Frederick K.C. Price, Kenneth Copeland, Rod Parsley, Juanita Bynum.

Posted by: en passant ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 07:37PM

Spend a few seconds on Google to bring up a lot of controversy about Joseph Prince. As you sort through the prejudicial and predictable hits from hundreds of finger-pointing Christians who don't like him or his dogma, you also get the opportunity to sift through some interesting information about what he gets paid and how much money his organization is collecting from the faithful. I don't know what's true and what's not, but I know enough about these hucksters to be afraid.

Interesting, Mythb4meat, that you have done your own finger-pointing at Murdock and Coontz before toadying up to Prince. You do it again about others later in the thread.

Hey, why not find a nice mainstream denominational church that's not afraid to tell you where and how they spend their money?

Posted by: mythb4meat ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 07:45PM

Hi En Passant...

In the medium sized town in which I reside, there is a fairly large Bible community independent church. I attend there when I am not out of town playing the piano at restaurants and hotels.

I was just commending the excellent, scholarly, refreshing teaching of pastor Prince. I am not 100% sure, but I believe his church in Singapore is truly humble, honest, financially accountable.

There is a great amount of evidence and personal stories, and I have watched this for years.....to suggest the fraudulent nature of the ministries of Murdock and Coontz.

Posted by: TexasAggie ( )
Date: February 03, 2014 08:03PM

For sheer comedy, I really miss the late Kathryn Kuhlman.

Gene Scott was a real hoot too. One could never be sure what he was going to say next. He was the televangelist who sat there preaching, smoking a cigar and drinking wine, and occasionally letting loose of a cuss word or two. Or three. Lol!

Scott was also honest about how he planned to spend any moneys sent in from his audience. He admitted that anything sent in would be spent by him for him, and he was not going to mail anyone a prayer cloth' once touched by Mary Magdalene, in exchange for a love offering.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.