Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: February 06, 2014 06:02PM

I have personally spoken with a solid and trusted source who has definitively identified the person behind the voice of "Jehovah" in the 1984 version of the secret LDS temple film.

"JOEhovah," in human form, was a Mormon named Joe R. Dana.

Dana, now deceased, was a well-known media celebrity in the Phoenix area who, among other life accomplishments, hosted a variety show on KPHO-Channel 5 TV called "Western Caravan." My source, who is intimately familiar with the Dana family, said that Joe/Joehovah had a "great voice."

From his obituary:

"Joe Robinson Dana . . . once introduced President Roosevelt on a nationwide radio broadcast, but he was not a network announcer. [He] will be remembered for some extraordinary accomplishments but, foremost, he was a husband, father and devout church member.

"He was born on November 24, 1913, in Mesa, Arizona. He grew up in Mesa and Miami [AZ], where his family operated a dairy farm. He attended Mesa High, Phoenix Union High School and graduated from Phoenix College.

"In 1932, he began a radio career at KOY [in Phoenix] and worked with former Arizona Governor Jack Williams, entertainer Steve Allen and long time Arizona TV newscaster, Bill Close. He hosted 'Western Caravan' on Channel 5 for two years beginning in 1950. In 1996 he was inducted into the Arizona Broadcasters Hall of Fame.

"As a young man, he served a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in North Carolina, Tennessee and Kentucky. Later, he and his wife Dora served four missions in Hawaii, Missouri, Washington D.C., and New York City. In 1959 he began six years as Bishop of the Phoenix Third Ward. Joe lived a full, honest, exemplary life. . . . Who else would have a daughter, fresh from her wedding vows, tearfully announce that she would rather stay home with her parents then go on her honeymoon. Joe could captivate a church congregation, impress a group of his grandchildren with his stories . . . .

"He will be remembered, he will be missed, and he will be quoted as long as we are blessed to keep him in our memory. . . . Funeral services will be held Saturday at noon at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints at 3920 E. Brown Rd in Mesa."

("Joe Robinson Dana: Obituary," published in "Arizona Republic," 6-7 May 2004, at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/azcentral/obituary.aspx?n=Joe-Dana&pid=2203306#sthash.frUhGoWr.dpuf)

**In an interesting sidenote, the same source subsequently informed me of the following: "And by the way, . . . (Joe) Was ordained a high priest by your grandfather."

Wow. Ezra ordained the Mormony-temple Jesus to be a high priest--and Ezra wasn't even a God yet. I you sure they really teach that? :)
_____

(Dana's voice, playing that of Jehovah during the 1984 Mormon temple ceremony endowment film, was provided to me by the source in the form of an archived audio recording titled, "LDS Temple Endowment Ceremony 1984," made by an individual that same year. I have listened to the audio and it is, indeed, the Mormon temple cinematic masterpiece that I was subjected to as a temple Mormon in the 1980s. RfM Admin policy is not to air such recordings on this board).

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2014 10:44PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Used to live in Phoenix ( )
Date: February 06, 2014 06:34PM

It would have been hysterical if it turned out that Jehovah had been voiced by Ladmo.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: February 07, 2014 01:18PM

If they would have made Ladmo a GA, I might not have left the
Church.

"Ladmo, Michael, go down and visit the man and woman we have
placed in the garden and make sure they have an ample supply of
Ladmo-bags."

Posted by: Mishmash ( )
Date: February 07, 2014 03:01PM

LOL. And Gerald would be Satan.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: February 07, 2014 03:06PM

Mishmash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> LOL. And Gerald would be Satan.

Ha! Pat McMahon as Belzebub. Born for that role. :o)

Posted by: Mr. Neutron ( )
Date: February 06, 2014 06:37PM

Which film was the 1984 version? I thought there were two films done in the late 60s and no updated versions until the changes in the temple ceremony in 1990.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: February 06, 2014 06:46PM

OMG! His daughter wanted to stay home with her parents instead of go on her honey moon??? Someone needed some therapy.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 08, 2014 11:14AM

Sounds like she may have not been fully emotionally developed yet. A rational society would have let her live her own life a few more years, to allow her to catch up on growing up. Mormonism probably pushed her to marry the first RM who asked.

Date: February 06, 2014 10:35PM

My big sister landed as a BYU roommate of Carol Dana, one of Joe's kids.

How well do you know his son Kent, a colleague of yours so to speak?

Date: February 06, 2014 10:37PM

Date: February 06, 2014 10:59PM

Well if he's still a talking head newsreader, ya think he would take up the UK summons story or would he defer to his co-anchor on that one?

Just wondering.

Posted by: gress ( )
Date: February 07, 2014 01:28PM

Yes, Joe did have an excellent announcer's voice. In my younger years I had some interaction with Joe and family. Although from all my knowledge they were very devout, they were not IMHO "stuffy". Joe could bring one to tears with some of his tales and when he and wife would travel to SLC for GC, they would stop off in LV to try their luck. I have good memories of being in their company.

Posted by: gress ( )
Date: February 07, 2014 06:20PM

Sorry, meant to say tears of laughter. He had a terrific sense of humor.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: February 07, 2014 07:06PM

Whoa, that is some hardcore trivia. That would be the million dollar question on "Who wants to be an ex-mo millionaire".

Date: February 07, 2014 07:12PM

. . . and he blurted it out without being prompted by the Holy Ghost.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2014 07:13PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Abish the Lamanite Gal ( )
Date: February 07, 2014 07:10PM

One of our kids was a high school friend of one of Joe Dana's grandkids. Nice family.

Posted by: soldiergirl ( )
Date: February 07, 2014 10:47PM

I knew the Dana family when I lived in Phoenix as a practicing Mormon. They were and continue to be a very nice family. All of
Joe's/ Dora's children are wonderful people. I worked for one of the sons who treated me very well as an employee. All genuine and caring. And yes, Joe was the voice of Jehovah; he was in my ward.

Date: February 08, 2014 12:55AM

Posted by: pigsinzen ( )
Date: February 08, 2014 01:11PM

They should have Gilbert Gottfried do the voice of Jehovah.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.