Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: February 08, 2014 02:25AM

Nothing speaks to CULT CULT CULT like Kolob. Somehow that has to be brought up so the public will understand how insane TBMs are. Ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Southern Utah Apostate ( )
Date: February 08, 2014 02:32AM

The HOLY KINGDOM OF KOLOB?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 08, 2014 03:00AM

This thread is a good start. Kolob is either a star or a planet. The context is not clear. This is what we call bad writing. The differences between stars and planets were well known in the nineteenth century. There's no excuse for a confusion of terms, other than a lack of education.

Kolob is the product of an uneducated nineteenth century mind.

Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: February 08, 2014 09:13AM

Yeah, but Glen Larson, who produced Battlestar Galactica, was a Mormon, and from Kolob, we get Kobol...humanity's original planet (in BSG lore). Mormonism was inspiration for a lot of Battlestar Galactica...even the somewhat Egyptian themes. Of course, they had to make it a lot less boring.

Posted by: johnnyboy ( )
Date: February 08, 2014 11:26AM

True story, I played a show at glens house in Beverly Hills. It was crazy LA rich. He had fish swimming underneath glass floors. I also got to come back for a really cool private movie screening of some Meryl Streep movie that Glen had edited.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: February 08, 2014 03:32AM

But God (at least one of them) lives there. It is an important one since it is the one who rules the earth.

Does it seem odd to anyone else that the god that rules earth isn't closer to earth? Why must everything be so inconvenient?

Posted by: exdrymo ( )
Date: February 08, 2014 10:45AM

verilyverily Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does it seem odd to anyone else that the god that
> rules earth isn't closer to earth? Why must
> everything be so inconvenient?

It's odd even when turned around: Isn't it an odd coincidence that out of the billions of galaxies in the universe, god just happens to live in ours.

Posted by: redpill ( )
Date: February 08, 2014 09:09AM

Great. Now I will never get that stupid song out of my head.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: February 08, 2014 10:13AM

The sister missionaries I spoke with claimed to have never heard of the planet Kolob...

Posted by: nationalnewscampaign ( )
Date: February 08, 2014 10:43AM

anybody Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The sister missionaries I spoke with claimed to
> have never heard of the planet Kolob...

You're kidding! I mean I know you're not kidding, but that's stunning.

Ask them to google Kolob, if they haven't already.

One of the big mistakes TSCC made was to stop teaching about stuff like Kolob, polygamy, MMM, Joseph Smith's treasure hunting, for a decade or two just before this information became widely available on the internet. When I was growing up we learned about all those things in seminary. These bizarre issue caused a few kids to stop believing, of course, but not the majority. It's not like now when TBMs find out about these issues, wonder why this information was withheld from them, and for a good percentage of them it destroys their faith.

I think "anybody" also makes a good point about how easy it is to be a reverse missionary. I'd love to have Richard Packham's vast knowledge and ability to construct a socratic dialogue. But an innocent statement like, "well, let's not argue, lets just google Kolob and then you can research it and come back and tell me about it because I really want to know."

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: February 08, 2014 03:42PM

Not only did they not know about Kolob, they claimed not to know about the Curse of Cain, men becoming gods, and so on...

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: February 08, 2014 10:54AM

Kolob is a part of Mormon theology that they are de-emphasizing. Religions evolve much the same as the Darwinian form. Ideas rather than genes are the stuff of it. If an idea becomes a detriment rather than a benefit, it is quietly jettisoned. New ideas or reworked versions of older ones are inserted and emphasized over time. If those catch the imagination and assist in obtaining and retaining members, they become the current doctrine. There is nothing at all eternal about religious doctrine. They do what they have to do in order to keep parisitizing human culture.

Posted by: postpostmormon ( )
Date: February 08, 2014 11:03AM

TSCC's problem is that these "ideas" are canonized in scripture.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 08, 2014 11:07AM

Sadly, most of the Mormons I've talked to don't even know or care about Kolob.

That's probably why they are still Mormon. They never thought to actually read beyond the surface sugar coating they hear at church.

Most religions have all kinds of ridiculous crap they just sort of let go away. Weirdly, it doesn't often make the believers question the things that have not gone away.

Whatever belief is fitting the times is A-OK and true! All that other stuff was "a long time ago."

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: February 08, 2014 11:11AM

I refer to Kolob as the place where the galactic overlord Xenu lives.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 08, 2014 12:20PM

In a writing project I have, a TBM girl is trying to convert a gentile boy who's sweet on her, so she invites him to Seminary. He's a physics nerd, and this is where he gets sarcastic with his savvy science and humiliates the instructor. Drama requires conflict, so this is where I add levity to the conflict.

Teacher: "Elohim, our Heavenly Father, lives on Kobol."
Nerd: "Doesn't Xenu lives on Kolob too?"
Teacher: "Xenu? Who's that?"
Nerd: "The most distant known entity is a protogalaxy, almost 13 1/2 billion lightyears away. How does Kolob fit in here, and why haven't astronomers located it?"

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: February 08, 2014 02:07PM

My two favorite cults in one post!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 08, 2014 03:00PM

Posted by: CL2 ( )

I think my brain checked out even as a young girl because I faintly remember stuff about people living on the moon. I had never heard the song about Hie unto Kolob or whatever. I read it here some years back and was SHOCKED. It is in the PofGP isn't it? I've read that many times. Obviously I never read for meaning--just doing what I was told to do.

I asked my ex about it and he started singing Hie to Kolob.

Mind blowing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2014 11:11AM by cl2.

Posted by: jpt ( )

I smile everytime I hear "Scientology," "Mormonism," and "fraud," all in the same sentence.

Posted by: secretnotsacred ( )
Date: February 08, 2014 11:50AM

I thought believing in Kolob was kinda fun...super secret truths only Mormon's had. I'd look up at the sky and wonder which star was nearest to Kolob. Now its a bunch of "bollock".

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 08, 2014 11:57AM

Remember: our sun gets its light from Kolob!

Isn't kolob NEAR the place where LDS god lives?

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: February 08, 2014 11:58AM

What fun is that? I like to think of Kolob as like the planet Krypton in the movie Superman, with towering crystal structures (since the whole planet is a gigantic peepstone).

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: February 08, 2014 12:33PM

Over time, I started taking most of the doctrine figuratively. Adam and Eve were symbolic of man’s evolutionary leap of knowing right from wrong. Eve’s apple eating wasn’t really responsible for women suffering during childbirth, that stuff just hurts. Kolob was just some story about heaven. My mother was clearly superior to my father, but they both worshipped his priesthood, which I saw as a big excuse for the men to parade around like they were powerful and in charge by divine plan. Didn’t think too much of God either. I didn’t take Noah’s ark literally, but I couldn’t figure out how God was not a monster in the story. Still not sure why I stayed Mormon for so long. Church history lies finally got to me, especially a New Era story about the wonderful, perfect marriage of Joseph and Emma. NO mention of polygamy. I heard myself say right out loud. “Oh my gosh, they are lying to my kids!” The religion is evolving to be more palatable. Darn.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: February 08, 2014 12:39PM

I once mentioned Kolob in a sacrament meeting talk. I was never asked to speak again. I would have done that a lot sooner had I known.

If you took a poll i'd bet that there are very very few mormons who have ever read the Pearl of Great Price or the D&C. They have no idea what's in there. Especially the PoGP. I'm the only person I know who has read it from cover to cover?

Posted by: reinventinggrace ( )
Date: February 08, 2014 02:40PM

http://www.lds.org/scriptures/pgp/abr/fac-2?lang=eng

5. Is called in Egyptian Enish-go-on-dosh; this is one of the governing planets also, and is said by the Egyptians to be the Sun, and to borrow its light from Kolob through the medium of Kae-e-vanrash, which is the grand Key, or, in other words, the governing power, which governs fifteen other fixed planets or stars, as also Floeese or the Moon, the Earth and the Sun in their annual revolutions...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2014 02:41PM by reinventinggrace.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: February 08, 2014 03:06PM

Kolob is a beautiful place - right off the freeway on the way to Zion National Park (actually part of the park).

I had no idea I was on a distant planet/sun while there.

Posted by: rationaltourist ( )
Date: February 08, 2014 03:56PM

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: February 08, 2014 04:00PM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 08, 2014 04:13PM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 08, 2014 04:29PM

is "Hie to Kolob" still in the current Hymnal?
does anyone remem hearing it (Outside IMW?)?

I think that tune is pretty much passe':

"There is no end to race" !

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.