Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Facing Tao ( )
Date: February 09, 2014 10:29PM

Continuing reading (or listening) A Course In Miracles, I frequently come across awesome quotes and thoughts. Like this:

»Everyone teaches, and teaches all the time. This is a responsibility you inevitably assume the moment you accept any premise at all, and no one can organize his life without some thought system. Once you have developed a thought system of any kind, you live by it and teach it. Your capacity for allegiance to a thought system may be misplaced, but it is still a form of faith and can be redirected.»

[...]

»What you must recognize is that when you do not share a thought system, you are weakening it. Those who believe in it therefore perceive this as an attack on them. This is because everyone identifies himself with his thought system, and every thought system centers on what you believe you are. If the center of the thought system is true, only truth extends from it. But if a lie is at its center, only deception proceeds from it.»

It's like talking about TSCC, TBMs, exmos, etc! :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: torn ( )
Date: February 28, 2014 04:42PM

I have just started ACIM. I have never done anything like this before, being a Mormon was as far as I went with spirituality. How are you liking the study? Do you find it helpful? I am tired of feeling bitter, and lost. I can't quite commit myself to Christianity alongside my family because I'm still hurting from the betrayal of religion in general. I don't know what I believe anymore, it sucks.

Date: March 01, 2014 12:23AM

I like many ideas in it, but I also feel something is not right with it, and I can't put my finger on what it is. Few years back I read and listened to some texts by David Hawkins, and had a similar feeling about the material – something was not right. In the end I walked away from Hawkins' materials because there was too much self promotion – egoism – in them, in other words exactly what he was supposed to teach against. I have really enjoyed Eckhart Tolle's materials for the exactly opposite reason — he appears humble, and does not elevate himself.

The book "Conversations with God" really is ACIM made simpler. While it is extremely light reading, ACIM is not. I've listened (as an audio book) about one third of ACIM now, and had to take a break as I find it somewhat depressing to listen to. In the meanwhile I've gone back to listening to more Tolle's seminars & books which I find agreeing almost entirely with. I will finish going through ACIM (at least the text book), though, because of the occasional jewels of thought that are found within.

ACIM is also pretty demanding to read/listen to. Listening while driving I frequently have to rewind the same spot several times to understand what is being said. Furthermore, I find it to be sort of Christian idea mixed with non-duality, so essentially a mix of Christianity and Eastern thought (or, perhaps Christian Gnostisism). Philosophically I agree with many of its points, but not nearly with all as I am philosophically closer to Eastern thought than Christianity.

So, while ACIM is interesting to reflect on, I would recommend reading or listening to Tolle's "The Power of Now" and/or "A New Earth" (he is spot on about many things, such as operation of ego in human relationships..). If you're finding your ways after departure from Morg, you might find Tolle's thoughts more reasonable (at least the audio version of ACIM has a bit preachery ring to it; every time the reader says "GoD", stressing the ending 'd', it reminds me of a televangelist, and I cringe ;). Tolle's thoughts are definitely outside of religions, whereas with all the terminology used in ACIM it is difficult to consider it as non-religious.

Finally, as ACIM is purpoted essentially to be channeled word of Jesus... I'm not so certain that that is the case. Perhaps it is, but perhaps it is not, and so you have to question the source. If it is not as presented, then none of its thoughts cannot be trusted, and there's no way to know.

On the other hand, with Eastern philosophies (which Tolle is near to) there is no need to try to validate that you have a divine source material, but perhaps you just have some "sign posts" left by some enlightened individuals along the way. Through meditation and practice one reaches internal realization of this eventually without need for golden plates, or channeled materials. This is why people within Morg are eternally held back from any real spiritual (self-)realization; they're not given the tools, and trying to access those tools outside of Morg is prohibited to TBMs.

Date: March 01, 2014 12:24AM

Wow. That was long. Sorry for the ramble.. hopefully it gives some ideas, though. :)

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: March 01, 2014 02:59AM

I totally agree with you on that.

I have read about a third of the ACIM manual, something about it always seemed a little off to me too, but then I would read something I liked and it would throw me for a loop.

Date: March 01, 2014 03:21PM

Thanks Tao, things to think about. Funny, I actually have some copied "Power of Now" cds someone gave me while I was TBM. I remember trying to listen to the first disk once, it was a little too "abstract" for me at the time--too far outside the box TSCC had me in! I will have to dig them out of hiding--glad I held onto them now!

Posted by: BirdUncaged ( )
Date: March 01, 2014 02:56AM

I love ACIM. Changed the way I look at life and all circumstances around me. Powerful and deep. Definitely not light reading...but worth every stretch to your way of looking at the world. And everything in it. A Return to Love, was my introduction.

Date: March 01, 2014 03:57PM

I have been reading a lot about NDEs, one individuals experience in particular was fascinating, and they related coming upon ACIM after they had their NDE, and found that it complimented their new view of the afterlife.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 01, 2014 03:33PM

Well even Hubbard's opus held some worthwhile advice.

I remember when Dianetics first came out my molly cousins were passing it all around.

Then there is the creepiness that creeps in, as ACIM did for me.

But whatever gets you across the river.

May you find joy grasshopper. :o)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.