Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: October 09, 2010 04:49PM

I sent in my resignation letter earlier this week (10-5). I had to call Utah to find out who to send it to locally. I figured I’d send one to headquarters and send one to the local leader man to make sure it got done. When I called the mormon headquarters I got a nice lady in membership records. I asked her where my records are. She said to call my local bishop and request my records be sent into his ward. She looked up who that was and gave me the phone number, name and address. I was just about to thank her, and she said “so all you have to do is call the bishop and he will let you know when and where the meetings are held and you’ll be set”. I said “well, all I’m doing is sending in my membership resignation – he’ll be able to do that too, right?”. Hehehe. Her voice fell slightly and said “yes, he will”.

I mailed a copy to the local bishop and as it turns out he lives just a block or two away, so I decided to hand deliver a copy as well. I put it in an envelope, did not seal it and handed it to his wife, wished her the happiest of days and left. (I didn’t seal it because I knew she’d be curious)

The local bishop called me today and we spent about 30 minutes on the phone. My first thought was to not call him back, but then I thought “I’m going to show this guy that not all exmo’s are bitter, mean folks”. We had a very nice chat. He asked about my family, where I was baptized etc. - just a little of my background. Then he asked about why I wanted to resign my membership. My answer was “because it’s a fraud.”

He was kind enough to let me give him the whole story. I went through all of the issues, then ended with Hinckley’s quote at GenCon. “this is true or it is a fraud”. I told him I couldn’t agree more.

I told him that I had left the morg a decade ago, but never sent in my resignation because I never saw a reason to anymore than I would send in my resignation to Safeway just because I’d rather shop at the A&P. He agreed. Then I said that the reason that he got my letter now was because of what Boyd said this weekend. I told him that I was well aware that they really never remove me from membership numbers (he kind of grunted in agreement) but rather just make a note on my membership record, but even with that knowledge I could not have my name associated in any way with this organization.

He told me that he thought I was a very interesting person and he would really like to chat some more. I told him no thanks, just process your paperwork. He said “oh, no – of course. I’ll take care of this, but you seem like somebody that I would like to talk with sometime”. I think once I get my letter I might be okay with that because the more mormons who get to know those who left for valid reasons the better.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: October 09, 2010 05:19PM

like you.

Makes me wonder how long the CEO's in SLC are going see the wisdom in allowing exiting members to be contacted by the local leaders, and risk the contamination.

I bet they will go to online resignation so that local members won’t be able to read the facts about why people are really leaving

Date: October 09, 2010 05:21PM

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: October 09, 2010 05:22PM

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: October 09, 2010 05:28PM

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: October 09, 2010 05:49PM

Good conversation you had. I do think he wishes to get moee information from you. I'd set up that appt. soon. The more you can share the easier it is for the doubters to do more research on their own....and he may also take ten yrs.to resign but people have to start somewhere. Does he have older kids or young ones?

Posted by: Lapsed ( )
Date: October 09, 2010 05:51PM

I think he wants to talk to you because HE has doubts also.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: October 09, 2010 06:01PM

That's inspiring. I think I will follow your example. Thanks.

Date: October 09, 2010 06:57PM

I have no problem with him sitting in my living room. He'll be on my turf. No prayers, thank you.

But I sure the hell will not go to "The Bishop's Office". That's just not an option.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 09, 2010 08:00PM

especially when the former member speaks intelligently, and respectfully and calmly.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.