Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 11, 2014 10:09AM

When you look at all the name recycling, and the lists of ships manifests used as name fodder, with no clue who anyone was, or how they were related, you just know that the Mormon church has probably accidently sealed people together, whom they assumed were husband and wives, but were no such thing. My question, how many of these do you think were just two dudes traveling together? Maybe a pair of brothers, with one named Ashley, which traditionally used to be a boy's name.

The amateurs in Mormon temple records can't even stop people from baptizing and re-baptizing Hitler, are we really to think that mistake has not happened a time or two? I know we will never know the answer, but it brings a smile to my face, just thinking that the Mormons have probably already unintentionally had gay marriage in their secret, I mean sacred, temples.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: February 11, 2014 10:33AM

Posted by: QWE ( )
Date: February 11, 2014 10:36AM

Back in the early church, there was something called the "Law of Adoption", where two men could get sealed to each other, so it was done intentionally in the past!

But as for today, I'm not sure. I think when you submit records to the church, you have to know the gender of the people as well? I suppose there's still ways it could happen by accident though.

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: February 11, 2014 10:48AM

I think it could happen because you have females with male names (Michael Learned who played Olivia on the Waltons) and then there are the asexual names like Dana.

Posted by: Mahonri1 ( )
Date: February 11, 2014 11:13AM

Felix Urioste was sealed in the Salt Lake Temple as a woman to "her" husband, Bruce Jensen.

A live sealing. "She" was a man pretending to be a woman.

Happened Live with absolutely NO ONE being prompted by The Holy Ghost at any stage of the proceedings to find anything wrong with what was going on.

Yep, "inspired leaders"...

Date: February 11, 2014 12:46PM

Happened in the most sacred and holiest spots of all Mormondom, where the holy spirit can be felt stronger, than an any place on earth, and no one received promptings. Either God approved, or the Holy Ghost is BS.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: February 11, 2014 11:40AM

so I would venture to say that there is a good chance that there have been some intersex people living as female that have been married in the temple within the last one hundred and fifty years.

Date: February 11, 2014 12:50PM

In certain parts of eastern Europe, there is a tradition of intersex women living as men, dressing in men's clothing, carrying out business, serving in the military, and even getting married to women, and this is seen as not only normal, but the intersex women in these cases are even legally acknowledged as men. In many of those same countries, you could go to prison for being gay, but intersex females were not considered to be gay. I am sure the Mormon church has sealed many of these guys to their wives over the years.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: February 11, 2014 01:10PM

Some cultures allow intersexed people to live as the opposite gender, and in many cases, those people have gotten married so TBM's might have done a same sex "sealing" without realizing it. There are even cultures where someone who is transgendered is viewed as more spiritual, so it's not the taboo that it is in Mormon culture.

Posted by: squirrelnutzipper ( )
Date: February 11, 2014 03:22PM

My TBM mom used to visit an elderly lady from the ward. She would insist that my mom take a look at her genealogy which was full of glaring errors, like men being sealed to men, men and women who were generations apart being sealed together, etc.

My mom would try and point these out to the lady and she would just pass it off with, "Oh, Heavenly Father will just figure it out."

I've had enough arguments with my mom over the church so I didn't say anything, but I really wanted to ask, "If Heavenly Father can just figure it out, why in the hell can't he just take care of things in the first place?"

Date: February 11, 2014 05:12PM

I want just a small number of names we can flag around in the churches face. If you could find any men sealed to other men, I would love the details.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: February 11, 2014 05:15PM

Didn't Brigham Young have all male dances?

I somehow am picturing the Village People with garments.

Posted by: LOLILOL ( )
Date: February 11, 2014 06:36PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.