Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: iwenttothewoods ( )
Date: February 14, 2014 04:22PM

The last thing I want is the TSCC knowing my address. So I sent them this resignation letter...
City, State *****

My current records reside in the _________ 3rd Ward of the _______ Stake.

I hereby resign my membership in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, effective immediately, and politely demand that you remove my name permanently from your membership records. I wish no further contact from representatives of your church except to confirm that my name has been removed from your records. I expect to receive that confirmation within a reasonably short time.

Please send any further information to the mailing address of

Address
City, UT 84***

I will receive all further contact information through a trusted friend residing at that address, as I wish that my current temporary address remain confidential.

(Name)

We have received your request that your name be removed from the membership records of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Your letter/email did not contain enough information to enable our office to correctly identify your membership record. Consequently, we are returning your letter/email.

If you still desire to have your name removed from the membership records of the Church please send a letter to this office that contains your full name, date of birth, and current street address. We will use this information to correctly identify your membership record and the bishop or branch president who is in your area. We will then forward your letter to him with instructions to remove your name from the membership records of the Church.

Sincerely,

Confidential Records
????? The only thing not included that they want is my current address!!!! Living in a state where the majority of the population is Mormon and most people think I am just a never-mo gentile, I DO NOT WANT the wards here to even know I am here, let alone know where I live....
Its akin to someone writing DO NOT HIRE in sharpie on your face before a job interview.

Is this TOO MUCH TO ASK!!!!!???????

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: February 14, 2014 04:26PM

Do you have a friend who can pose as you for address purposes?

Date: February 14, 2014 04:39PM

Possibly, yes... but if they send a representative from the ward or something to the friend's address....

Can they do this... like if I choose to remove myself from a voluntary organization and they refuse to comply due to the fact I refuse to provide a current address...

Date: February 14, 2014 04:40PM

The last thing I want is the organization I'm running away from to know where I currently live.

Imagine if a cult you belonged to wouldn't let you leave until you told them where you live.... oh wait....

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: February 14, 2014 04:44PM

If COB acknowledged the resignation letter, aren't you out?

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: February 14, 2014 04:45PM

Yes...Keep a copy of the post marked letter and you are finished. Once the church has acknowledged that they recieved your letter you are finished.

Posted by: lily ( )
Date: February 14, 2014 04:49PM

I would suggest that the OP write back stating that.

"You acknowledged that you received my letter, therefore I am legally no longer a part of your organization and as such, I refuse to provide you with my current address.

I am no longer under your authority and I will consider any and all future communication, unless it is specifically confirming my resignation, to be harassment and will be handled by contacting law enforcement and my attorney."

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: February 14, 2014 04:48PM

Here is what you need to do.

Resign, do not request name removal.
Get your letter notarized.
Mail it certified.

You are now out by law as soon as they receive it.

Then call member records in about a week to confirm.

Date: February 14, 2014 05:10PM

What is the difference between resigning and requesting name removal? What will choosing one versus the other do?

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: February 14, 2014 05:20PM

It might be semantics but for me at least the word remove is active, while resign is passive.

It is about you taking the reigns instead of letting LDS inc dictate to you how things are done.

I'm not even sure you need to resend the letter. Call them confirm that they received the letter and then thank them for confirming that you are no longer listed. Thats all.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: February 14, 2014 05:21PM

there is a legal difference. By saying you resign, they no longer have any legal claim over you or your requirement to jump through their procedural hoops. You are no longer a member of their organization and what ever paperwork they want pushed around is their own damn problem.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: February 14, 2014 04:54PM

You might as well give them your address. It's all public record anyway. Bishops are over areas, so to identify who you are they need to know where your area is. Maybe if you know your ward name and stake or even the bishop that might be enough information. You can add that a reply to confirm your record has been removed and further contact is not welcome.

Posted by: Reconstituted ( )
Date: February 14, 2014 04:55PM

I never gave them my address eather.... but the Bishop knew where I live... and I got a visit. I resigned several years ago via email. I'd do a face to face with the bishop... hand him your bye bye letter... tell him what you expect to happen... and that you are in close contact with your attorney. If HE (the bish) doesn't follow through with your DEMAND...you will pursue legal routes. He can hand deliver the confirmation through your friend. Don't let them (the church) set the standards for YOUR resignation... You requested it... they do it....its the law.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 14, 2014 05:12PM

I would go ahead and give them your address. You *might* get one visit from the bishop to confirm that it's really you -- or you might not. After that you should be fine.

Date: February 14, 2014 05:19PM

Ok so I sent a new email as if it was my first one, but gave them the address I lived at when I was active with my parents before I left for college, which is where my "records" are supposedly still at... (I told my folks I'd never talk to them again if they gave any ward members my new address without permission.)

So I guess my parents will be receiving my confirmation letter...lol!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2014 05:19PM by iwenttothewoods.

Posted by: AnotherNoMo ( )
Date: February 14, 2014 05:30PM

...And if all the above doesn't give satisfaction, go to legal
Aid or a (paid) lawyer, give THEM your resignation letter and
Have THEM secure your official resignation confirmation.

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: February 14, 2014 05:36PM

Or, if you don't yet want to visit a lawyer, send them another letter saying that your current address is confidential and that your lawyer will be in touch if they have not processed your name removal within a reasonable amount of time.

If they have your full name, date of birth, baptism date, and past address, they have more than enough info to locate your membership number.

Posted by: pigsinzen ( )
Date: February 14, 2014 05:34PM

If you know your membership number include that as well.

Posted by: nadfll ( )
Date: February 14, 2014 07:56PM

Pick up the phone and call them 801-240-2053

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: February 14, 2014 08:02PM

Ya gotta admit they've got GUTZ!!! What a load of nonsense. If as people say you are now not a memeber because of the letter, that is fine. But I think I would be trying to upset them a bit. Tell them you have contacted your lawyer yada yada, and see what happens. NOTHING like ANOTHER lawyer involved with the TSCC for a little fun huh?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.