Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 06:49PM

So I accidentally wrote on myself with a sharpie today, on a white poly/cotton blouse and a green mostly cotton/some nylon sweater. Fridays....

Anyway, I know it's called permanent ink for a reason, but I'm hoping somebody might have a trick up their sleeve to help me get it out. I'm pretty sure I'll only have one shot at this, so I want to make sure I try something that has a good chance of working.

Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lillium ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 06:58PM

1. Find a depiction of jesus in the scribble.

2. Ebay it for tens of thousands of dollars.

3. Buy yourself a new poly/cotton blouse.

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: May 18, 2012 02:35PM

Vodka takes out most everthing.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 07:01PM

The higher percentage the better.

If you don't have any, spray hairspray on the ink and let it sit for a minute or two before laundering as usual.

It is a solvent for ink.

Hope it works for your Sharpie.

Posted by: Jenny ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 07:11PM

For some reason, I've read that cheap hairspray works best for ink. There's some cheap chemical that removes ink and higher-end sprays don't have it.

Put tissue under the stain, spray with cheap stuff, and blot with clean tissue, adjusting the tissue so that each blot is made with clean tissue.

Then clean regularly.

Or do nothing and take it to the cleaners.

Posted by: AnonyMs ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 07:04PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 07:08PM

Another thought is nail polish remover/acetone. Teachers use this to remove permanent marker from various surfaces, but I've never tried it on clothing.

You might want to test each potential remover on a scrap of similar fabric.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 07:08PM

Mom says: Rubbing Alcohol.

This is the only thing that will work but sometimes it doesn't work if you've used other things first or if the stain has set to long. Hopefully it will work for you. Use a cotton ball to dab the spot and let it sit a minute (but not too long). Rub it a little but be careful not to rub the stain onto another area. Sometimes blotting with a clean rag works as well. Rinse and repeat as necessary. Depending on how heavy the stain, it should fade a little each time.

If not, I see retail therapy in your future.

Just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 07:11PM

I am fearful that the acetone will disolve the "poly" part of your blouse.

Many years ago when I was a waitress and kept my pens in my pocket I had a problem with ink on my blouses (cotton-poly) all the time. I'd soak that bad boy with hairspray (alcohol) and could immediately see the ink running. Then I'd wash it and it usually came out.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: May 18, 2012 02:59PM

but then so is nail polish remover too! good luck...:)

Posted by: vasalissasdoll ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 07:23PM

If cheap hairspray isn't working (which would really surprise me) the old club soda trick might be helpful with the sweater. Just had to do that and oxyclean with my carpet the other day because my toddler got into the food dye.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 07:31PM

I don't know that this would work on clothing, but it's an idea anyway.

I know that if somebody accidentally writes on a white board in permanent marker, then if you trace back over it with a white board erasable marker, then try to erase it, it'll take the permanent marker right off.

You might try a white board pen on a scrap and see if it washes out in the sink. If it does wash out on its own, I'd put it all over the sharpie stain and wash it.

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 07:56PM

The following came up in search of how to remove a stain on cloth from a Sharpie.

Use "GOO-GONE" to remove stubborn permanent marker from fabrics! I was amazed how well this product worked. Just dab on, let sit for a minute or two and dab off! The stains were COMPLETELY GONE! I wrote to them thanking them for saving my rocker set and they sent me a complimentary gift! Works GREAT on all sticky surfaces and floors, too (scuffs, etc.)

Good luck.

Posted by: tambor ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 07:56PM

This comes from the Sharpie website

http://www.sharpie.com/enUS/CustomerService/Pages/FAQ.aspx

"The successful stain removal of ink stains differs from case to case because of the many types of fabrics, colors, inks, and time elapsed before stain removal. We cannot guarantee stain removal since many variables can be involved. Testing first is always recommended as well as following both the stain remover and clothing manufacturer's instructions. Following these steps should result in partial or complete removal.

General Rules:

1. Treat stains as soon as possible. Fresh stains can be removed more easily than old ones.
2. Check manufacturer's labels as to fabric content and any special instructions
3. Always test stain removal solution first on a hidden part of the article or on swatch of fabric taken from seam allowance to insure no color loss or damage will occur.
4. Where possible, lay stained article face down on paper towels or clean white cloth and apply stain removal solution to underside of stain so that stain can be removed from the surface instead of pushing it through the fabric. Replace towels or cloth as they absorb stain to prevent stain transfer.
5. If enlisting the aid of a professional laundry or dry cleaner, be sure to indicate what the stain is and the type of fabric.
6. Do not iron stained garments or put in dryer as this may set stain.

Also try Amodex Stain Remover for permanent ink: Amodex Products, P.O. Box 3332, Bridgeport, CT 06605, Phone:(203) 335-1255 or go to amodexink.com

Hope this helps and good luck. (10/15/2009)

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 08:14PM

Thanks for all the help guys, the alcohol and/or hairspray solution sounds promising. I'll give one of those a try (although I AM drawn to the picture of Jesus/ebay solution too...)

If not, as Ron suggested, retail therapy might be in order! ;-)

Posted by: Mnemonic ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 10:56PM

But the company is out of business and the owner is in jail.

http://archive.boulderweekly.com/032003/coverstory.html

I better put that bottle I have in a safe place.

It looks like the company name lives on as a BASF company but they no longer sell the spot remover.

http://www.thoroproducts.com/

Posted by: bob11345 ( )
Date: May 17, 2012 05:33PM

Well you could try an old stain remover thoro. But they dont sell it anymore. Youd could use spot shot or even rubbing alchohol. If you have thoro use it cause it works better than anything dosen't eat your blouse too!

Posted by: glad2bout ( )
Date: February 18, 2011 11:37PM

Have you fasted and prayed about this, really?! All of these different theories can be confusing; however, prayer and faith will heal the dirty blouse.

Have the visiting teachers been informed? Have the home teachers been summoned? Has a blessing been requested? Have the past issues of the Ensign been researched? Have the General Conferences and Relief Society meetings of times past been revisited? I must ask: where is the faith?!

Have faith and courage and know that brother Joe is smiling down on you; he wants that blouse clean and pure as surely as he wants more celestial brides in the attic of heaven.

You then must buy an exact duplicate of the said blouse, preferably via online shopping so as no others can see you in the store, and then wear the new blouse in public all the while proclaiming the miracle of prayer and priesthood blessings. This will be faith promoting.

Be mindful the priesthood authorities will need to conduct a Court of Love in order to get to the bottom of how and why the blouse became dirty and stained. They will ask probing questions, and they will demand salacious details of the sad affair. Tears will be shed, and there may even be anger and resentment, but fear not because the priesthood holders are inspired. The road of repentance is long and hard, though necessary for eternal salvation.

Glad2B Out

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: May 18, 2012 02:47PM

You forgot that the OP must reminded that had she been obeying the principles upon which blouse whiteness was based in the first place, the Sharpie stain would never have happened.

The guilt must be reinforced through priesthood channels because she is female and lack of a penis means she is unable to connect cause and effect without male assistance.

And frequent reminders of her sin.

Anagrammy

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: February 19, 2011 12:17AM

After using the hairspray, wash it several times on the gentle cycle. Do not dry it till the stain is gone.

Don't use acetone if there is any poly fabric in the weave. I had a beautiful black Mandarin dress that was doused with acetone and ended up with a gaping hole.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: February 19, 2011 01:13AM

Just tie dye it.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 19, 2011 01:43AM

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: May 18, 2012 04:03AM

You can still buy thoro in handware stores that carry a large variety of items. You can also try turpentine and cotton balls to rub it on. Put the turpentine on the cotton ball and rub with that. I hope it works. Turpentine can be bought at a paint store. Don't smoke while using it b/c it is flammable.
Ask the folks at the paint store if they have ideas too.

Posted by: Xyandro ( )
Date: May 18, 2012 01:30PM

I'm pretty sure if the stain is still there from February that nothing's going to fix it...

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: May 18, 2012 03:04PM

geez i pour my heart and soul into this thread...only to find out it is 17 months old!! sheesh!! thanks alot bob112345!!
:)

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: May 18, 2012 02:21PM

I really believe that no blouse is so sacred that it cannot be replaced by a newer, better, improved blouse.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: May 18, 2012 03:02PM

Have you tried prayer?

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: May 18, 2012 04:28PM

Better than prayer: a mormon priesthood blessing.

They are generally useless, but they just _might_ remove stains ...

Posted by: lbenni ( )
Date: May 18, 2012 04:30PM

just make sure it is *consecrated* oil....just plain oil won't do

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: May 18, 2012 04:34PM

I once had a new sports shirt and got some engine oil on it. I couldn't get the stain out, so I soaked the shirt in engine oil and washed it a few times. The color was different but acceptable and no stain to be seen.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.