Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ctus ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 12:08AM

With the stake president, of course. He needs me to give him a ride to the bank so he can take money out to catch up his tithing. You know, he has to pay his god dues on the money he was saving.......for his god work. WTF???

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dragonmystic ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 12:11AM

I know. It's stupid.

Is there anyway you can convince him not to go? This is 2 years of hell we're talking about...

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 12:13AM

Unbelievable.

It's not too late to have a heart-to-heart with the unsuspecting victim.

Suggest he spend two years in college instead.

Hopefully, you are not funding the mission insanity.

Posted by: Freddo ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 12:34AM

No no no no no
There is no such thing as catch up tithing.

It's either I'm sorry I repent now I will pay from now on.

Or, yessir that is a full tithe.

Or, it is paid ANNUALLY, as per d and c.

I know you knows it's a cult, but you have to save that money from the Phariseess.

Even if he can give it to actual charity instead.

Ask him if you can pay it in your name instead for tax, and then font pay it.

Anything.

I really feel for you.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 09:47AM

Let us all not forget that the DC wording says something about paying on 'interest'.

'Interest' would be translated to mean 'profits'.

'Profits' would translate to mean anything above and beyond living expenses.

Of course, LD$ Inc. has translated that to mean 'gross income'.

I paid tithing back in the 60s as an 8 year old... 5 years later I was out of The Cult...........

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 12:40AM

Is it too late to tell him that since he is consecrating all of that money ( not to mention his time, which is far more valuable than money since it can't be saved or retrieved but thats a whole nother topic)towards his .mission, that he shouldn't have to pay tithing on it? The church is all about Money.

Posted by: dragonmystic ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 12:46AM

Yeah, I'm honestly more concerned about your son than the money. (as much as I don't want to see the cult get more money.)

You have to let him do what he thinks, but I wish you could convince him not to go.

I guess.....just tell him that he doesn't HAVE to do this. Tell him that you'll be there the instant he tries to communicate that he wants out. Particularly the MTC. You might even have to set up code words or a cheap secret phone. It's really more of a prison.

Date: February 19, 2014 02:28AM

He knows I would rather he not go, but unfortunately my ex and the cult have a stronger hold on him than I. If I tried to convince him too much it would drive a wedge. He buys into the whole lie completely.

Posted by: Mr. Happy ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 03:21AM

I was in the same boat with my son. I told him he didn't have to go but he chose to. I had hoped that perhaps going would open his eyes a bit to the church, but it sounds like he has had a decent time.

I pick him up from the airport when he comes home in around three months.

Hang in there. The two years went surprisingly fast.

Posted by: NotSoRM ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 03:00AM

I just got home a few months ago, a year early. I wish I would have quit while I was ahead (where your son is now). Looking back though, I can see how I was so naive. It's an interesting position to be in, with all the social pressure, hype, "testimony", etc.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 03:20AM

Question:

how many interviews are now required?

IOW, how many hurdles/hoops?

Posted by: NotSoRM ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 07:40AM

Bishops interview, stake pres, and some online paperwork. There is another stake pres interview right before being set apart as well. That is it though. I've heard some bishops do periodic interviews before leaving, just because. Mine didn't.

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 09:06AM

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." — Mark Twain

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 09:38AM

Tell the SP that he either backs off on paying back tithes for the priviledge of going on a mission or you will inform the local news agencies about this kind of practice that goes on out of the view of the public eye. "You have five seconds to respond president"

No church policy exists for this kind of blackmail and you should not allow your son learn the lesson that he must capitulate to such immoral demands. It is the exact opposite lesson that he needs to learn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2014 09:42AM by AmIDarkNow?.

Date: February 19, 2014 10:11AM

I have thought of these scenarios, but living right in the middle of the morridor, the point would be mute. The kids spend fifty percent of the time at their mothers and she has a large family who are all tbm. This gives them a much larger social support group within the morg than I have out of the Morg. All I can do is make them know my stance and allow them their choices. They know I am always here for them.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 10:17AM

You know your life situation best. I hope that at the very least you can let your son know how you feel about the back tithing thing and not just that you feel that it is wrong but the reasons why it is wrong. Of course let him decide for himself. After all, thats what the War in Heaven was all about.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 10:28AM

My ex worked from the time he was 12. So by 19 he had quite a nest egg in the bank. He mostly was saving it for college. But wasn't aware of the pressure he'd be under to serve a mission, so he did and went to Japan.

His parents had paid 100% of his older brother's mission because he'd been a partier, had no money, and they were so thrilled that he suddenly came back to church and decided to serve a mission (when his draft lottery number came up as 11.)

So Ex assumed they would pay for his mission. They did--the last two months after Ex's bank account had been depleted. So he came back from his mission and his parents rewarded him with their 10-year-old car. That's all we had to our name but got married 3 months later anyway. Stupid brainwashed kids.

It's such a money suck. So your kid saves money for his mission and pays tithing on his other money but, noooo. Not enough. "Pay us first for the opportunity to be our indentured servant and then pay us more for actually getting to be one. If you run out of money we'll put the screws to your parents to pay up with money they've already given us a cut of."

And what part of C-U-L-T are they missing?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 11:13AM

If he is going overseas strongly suggest, as the State Department does, that he leave a copy of his passport and drivers licence with you.

Posted by: lily ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 11:34AM

And he should keep a copy on his person at all times.

In fact, he should never surrender either of them to anyone, but the church will push him to do so.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.