Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 10:51AM

There are people I know who are wobbling on the edge of activity and I would love to send them something like the link to MormonThink or that 100 problems with Mormonism list or that article by psychologist debunking Tad Callister's latest rant. Unfortunately, most of these people would NOT read it if they knew it was from me, knowing I've been inactive for years and after whatever lies Bishop Jackwagon spread about me being an apostate. I've wanted to drop something into the mail anonymously, but can't decide if that's too passively aggressively Mormon-like. These aren't people happily trapped in Mormonism - these are people who I know are questioning but would become defensive if I asked them about it. However, I don't think they'd immediately suspect me if they got a MormonThink card either, since I'm not, in their spheres, actively promoting ex-Mormonism.

So what do you think? Bad idea? Good idea? Anyone done anything like that?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 11:19AM

I personally think it's a great idea. People get all kinds of unsolicited junk in the mail, including religious tracts. Mormon missionaries to do to door harassing people and leaving BOM's on their doorstep. Ward members leave all kinds of crap on people's doorsteps to try and invite them to go to church. I don't see how it's any different. They don't have to read any of it if they don't want and there's no awkwardness of them having to interact in person with the sender of the letter.

I would think the might actually read it if no one is looking over their shoulder and curiosity might get the better of them. It's always worth a shot since we never know if seeds might get planted. Look at all the people Sithlord and wife got out of the church by sharing the truth.

I think we should flood the earth with the truth to counteract the LIES the church is trying to flood the earth with!

Posted by: heretic ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 11:56AM

Someone posted the following around the 1/8/14 of this year:

"...Believers (especially those who have been programmed with guilt and fear)
have an amazing capacity to avoid facing facts that threaten their way of life.
They'll usually refuse to look at the evidence, or blow it off as "anti-mormon lies"....

If you are trying to get through to them,...THEY HAVE TO BE IN THE MINDSET
WHERE THEY ARE DISSATISFIED WITH THEIR LIVES
(OR FEEL THAT SOMETHING ISN'T RIGHT) TO BE READY TO ASK THE QUESTIONS." (my emphasis)

The missionaries have the most success with the above type of people
and I suspect we'd have the most success with TBMs in the same state of mind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2014 12:03PM by heretic.

Date: February 19, 2014 12:14PM

Yes, I agree with that. I've always said something has to break the emotional hold Mormonism has on people before anything can break through to them intellectually. That's why I wouldn't even try to send anything to my friends who seem happy as Mormons. It's only a couple of people who have given me reason to believe they don't take Mormonism seriously or their comments make me think they don't believe and are beating themselves up for it because they think it's their fault, not that Mormonism itself is crazy. I think they might listen to further information and, as someone mentioned, if they aren't where they seem to be, they can throw it out.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 11:58AM

At the time I resigned from the church, the ward had just inducted a new member, a black guy with a white wife. He was a DJ on a local jazz radio channel, and the ward considered him quite the find. When I got out of Mormonism, I thought about contacting him outright and sending him information on Blacks and the priesthood, that sort of thing. I agonized for months over how to do it anonymously and correctly, but then found out that he had left the church, anyway. So, in the end I never sent him or E-mailed him anything, but he sounded like a good candidate. It would have been a good thing to be party to his leaving.

A couple of years later I was on a government business trip with military in Utah. One of the LDS Army guys learned I was ex-Mormon, and had a lot of questions, many of them sincere. I got his E-mail address and wrote him a couple of E-mails, one of which contained an offer to help him find any information he might need if he were to consider leaving the church. He wrote back saying he was offended, that he never meant to make me believe that he might be questioning the church. Of course, I never heard from him again.

Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 12:13PM

Sithlord and wife got people out of TSCC? Do tell.

"100 Problems with Mormonism"? What's this?

Date: February 19, 2014 12:22PM

Here you go:

http://packham.n4m.org/101.htm

It's actually 101 Reasonable Doubts about Mormonism and it's excellent. While you are on this website, here's another of my favorites:

http://packham.n4m.org/satan.htm

Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 12:37PM

Thank you!

Posted by: John Ferrier ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 12:16PM

While TBM I would sometimes receive "anti Mormon literature" in the mail sent anonymously. I always figured it was the uber baptist in the neighborhood. I never read any of it and threw it away.

I had to get to the point of wanting to know the truth myself instead if having it pushed on me. Any TBM who is questioning knows that they can get answers instantly on the internet once they drop their fear of finding something that will challenge them.

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 12:42PM

I have received anonymous mail and it never goes over well, even if intentions were supposedly good. I wouldn't recommend it. You don't particularly like the anonymous "gifts" you receive on your porch. This is no different. They'll investigate when they're good and ready.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 01:02PM

No!!!!! the thought of doing something like that has never

crossed my mind. I don't operate that way. I have a couple

of family members who are still TBM and I'd love to see them

out of the church but I know that finding your way out of the

lies is an individual process and doesn't genuinely happen from

someone else talking you into it. It has to come from within.

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 01:29PM

I think it's a good idea. I have thought of doing this myself but haven't yet. I'm afraid someone may suspect me. =) Please let us know if you end up doing it.

I have so far offered a listening ear to those who complain about the church denying assistance to someone in the ward, and then I add my "I don't undertand why the church denies help when they have...." and I go on about some finance numbers. I think I've planted good seeds.

Edited to add: I wish someone would have sent me good information that the one provided by the good ex-mormon intellectuals. I think I would have left earlier. All I came across were the evangelical anti-mormon stuff that is not very useful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2014 01:33PM by deconverted2010.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.