Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 12:53PM

When I was a TBM I'd go through different permutations of debate. There was the old believer argument that the Earth being here has the same odds of shaking a box full of watch parts and having a formed Rolex come out.

The counter-argument of course is that we can shake almost infinite boxes for an almost infinite amount of time, and in that time it's going to happen at least once, and it has.

Fair enough, but in my TBM mind my argument was that if anything is possible given enough time, why not deity? Haven't thought of it till now but what think ye all?

There is ample evidence of the Earth being where it is and just as much evidence about how it got here. God on the other hand, not so much.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 01:00PM

Define deity first, because most formulations found in contemporary religions are not even within the realm of scientific discourse, and therefore are not rational concepts to properly be discoursed on. A thing must first be possible. Establish what deity is, how you would recognize it, how you would disprove it, where it would appear, and what primary and secondary characteristics it would have. Also, what method would be employed to generate such a deity.

In the Rolex example, all the pieces are there, they just need to randomly fall in such a way for the watch to be made. The analogy to deity appears to me to be changing the watch to the following: "place an empty box in the middle of a room in a vault to which only you have access, don't touch it for 48 hours. Is it possible for there to be a box of donuts there when you get back? What if you had infinitely many boxes?"

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: February 19, 2014 01:05PM

Very good point, anything is possible, those things that actually came to be are detectable.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.