Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nevermo1 ( )
Date: February 23, 2014 02:23PM

'When reporting about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, please use the complete name of the Church in the first reference',the church is urging.

Which is why you would think that they therefore would not have a facebook page with the incomplete name or nickname of the church?
Or other official church websites using it's incomplete name?
Heck I even saw this quote on their newsroom page which does not use the church's 'complete name'.

I get it,to an outsider the word 'Mormon' sounds weird but surely this is a case of practise what you preach?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: February 23, 2014 02:38PM

Oddly enough, I was just thinking about this.
I was watching 90 Day Fiance, one of the couples are Mormon and refer to themselves as such. But the mother tends to use the full name of the church. By the way she talks, I think she was coached.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: February 23, 2014 02:40PM

Yeah, I hear the reporters on KSL say TCOJCOLDS when they report on church stuff but it doesn't quite roll of the tongue. The other stations do it sometimes but not always. It is just too long and tedious.

Posted by: MarkJ ( )
Date: February 23, 2014 02:43PM

Doesn't that just highlight another gap between reality and Mormon beliefs?

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: February 23, 2014 02:48PM

And of course, if after using the full name, you later refer to "mormons", that term should only be used for members the church headquartered in SLC. Never mind that we don't want you to use the term mormon you can't refer to those pesky FLDS and Warren Jeffs, or the 100 other mormon offshoots as mormons (even if that's what they call themselves). It doesn't matter that they follow the BOM, the DOC, and all the teachings of early mormonism closer than we do, they're not mormons. We're the only ones that can be called mormons (but don't call us that).

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: February 23, 2014 02:52PM

I wonder why they ask the media to use the abbreviated version of their title rather than the full name of The Corporation Sole of the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: February 23, 2014 04:46PM

lol... that's what I would do if I were ever put in that situation. Maybe throw in an Intellectual Reserve, Inc., or two.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: February 23, 2014 05:06PM

jpt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> lol... that's what I would do if I were ever put
> in that situation. Maybe throw in an Intellectual
> Reserve, Inc., or two.

I kind of do the same thing with their executive management such as Gordo hinckley, Tommy Monson, Davy Bednar, and Boydy packer. I never use the initials, and explain when corrected the initial thing is all about polygamy. That shuts them Up.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: February 23, 2014 04:49PM

They're back to this?? They started a campaign decades ago to discourage using "Mormons" and stick to the cumbersome formal name... It failed and they gave up. They never learn from experience. In reality, "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints" is a registered trademark of the Corporation. They're just doing what all corporations do.. try to avoid the genericization of their brand. After all, if you use "Mormon" to refer to them, you might be misconstrued. "Mormon" is also used to refer to the dozens of offshoots, many polygamist, who are generating tons of negative spin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2014 04:53PM by rationalist01.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: February 23, 2014 04:51PM

No. I'll call it what I want.

Posted by: nevermo1 ( )
Date: February 23, 2014 04:56PM

I just feel like it is such a tedious exercise!
From a Nevermo's perspective,there's the book of Mormon,the adherents are generally called Mormons,look them up on Facebook they use the name 'Mormon'...

It is no secret and would take about 2 seconds of internet research to work out the 'Church of Jesus Christ of latter-day saints' are also known as the Mormons.

Maybe they think the 'complete name' sounds more Christ-centred and less cult-like?

Posted by: Rbtanner ( )
Date: February 23, 2014 05:01PM

I've decided to just call the church 'The LDS'. I also refer to the members as just 'LDS'. That's what my Mormon friends prefer. The official name is too long to mention more than once.

Posted by: Jim Huston ( )
Date: February 23, 2014 05:19PM

Why is an official website www.mormon.org? The other is www.lds.org. Why don't they use their name?

They like to take offense if you don't use their name but don't feel they have to live by the same rules. Typical Mormon bullshit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2014 05:20PM by Jim Huston.

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: February 23, 2014 05:21PM

As much as I don't want to defend them, outside the Morridor it seems every media outlet uses "The Mormon Church" on the first reference.

I don't know why they complain about "LDS Church" ("L-D-S Church" in broadcast) when the SLC stations all do that.

Example from an award-winning station that is #1 in its market:
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=8857462

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.