Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 08:05PM

I have a TBM friend that is a therapist for LDS members. The clinic she works at has a policy of contacting their clients bishops about sexual sins so the bishop can help the person repent.

One of her clients (Cheri) told my friend that her and her bf had started kissing and before she knew it, he was on her stomach (no clothes) moving around. Cheri had an orgasm and so did the bf.

My friend does not know if she should call Cheri's bishop or not. Was there even a sin committed since no hands were used for masturbation? Is repentance even needed? The couple is planning to marry in the temple soon so a call to the bishop would ruin their wedding plans.

What would you recommend?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dead Cat ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 08:10PM

I think the question is: why is a therapist allowed to share anything revealed in therapy with anyone? Are there not guides or ethics or such to prevent that?

Posted by: story100 ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 08:13PM

Dead Cat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the question is: why is a therapist
> allowed to share anything revealed in therapy with
> anyone? Are there not guides or ethics or such to
> prevent that?

Exactly! WTF??

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 08:14PM

No kidding. Unless there's some disclosure statement, revealing confidential statements to third parties is grounds for everyone to lose their license.

Posted by: fubecona ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 08:13PM

Isn't that a violation of the therapist/patient privilege? I didn't think therapists were supposed to tell anyone about what their patients reveal during their private therapy sessions---isn't that a violation of the HIPA or something? Seems like it should be, if it's not.

Tell her she shouldn't EVER call the bishop on any of her patients. That's ridiculous!

But in answer to your question, I'd imagine most bishops would see that as a "sin."

Posted by: onlinemoniker ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 08:24PM

I would recommend you get an account on meetup. They have all kinds of different groups you can look up by topic and many meetups have dozens of members and meet several times a week. If you find something you're interested in you've got a good chance at making new friends.

As far as a recommendation to the therapist, I think it's pretty clear cut. Unsealed naked bodies rubbing up against each other is absolutely grounds for recommend revocation. Have a look at D & C 168. It couldn't be clearer.

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 08:26PM

Therapist should not disclose anything to the bishop or you for that matter...

Also, I'm still trying to parse WTF was going on.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 08:29PM

The clinic this therapist works at has an evil policy that invades privacy. There's the problem right there.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 08:30PM

I agree, if your friend wants to keep their license they probably shouldn't be doing anything as stupid as that. This could be a career wrecker if one "client" (victim) gets wind of it and is unhappy about it.

EDIT: Oh, and what would I recommend? That your friend finds a new job immediately at a place that doesn't encourage immoral and illegal practices.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2014 08:32PM by notnewatthisanymore.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 08:31PM

Sounds like the therapist works for LDS Family Services.

Posted by: visiting ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 08:52PM

I think what you described is called "dry humping."

Your friend should keep her mouth shut.

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 09:24PM

the naked part would get you into trouble. Sounds closer to wet humping!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 09:41PM

I would recommend that your friend be reported to the state board and that she should lose her license. Who cares what the clinic "policy" is? Does she not have any professional standards for client confidentiality?

Posted by: rachel1 ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 09:47PM

Why on earth is a therapist worried about a client "sinning"? Isn't par tof the point of going to a therapist to help one learn to cope and feel better? Telling a client he/she is sinning cannot be helpful.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 11:09PM

This reminds me of someone's comment a few days ago how Mormons act as if, oops, sex just happens. Or at least that's what their lame excuses sound like. "There we were, and presto, we were having sex. I have no idea how it happened."

Posted by: zarahemlatowndrunk ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 11:23PM

Correction: Your friend is not a therapist, she's a pseudo-therapist. If she's masquerading as an actual therapist, she needs to be reported forthwith for this very grave breach of confidentiality and lack of ethics. Well, the whole "clinic" needs to be reported

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2014 11:24PM by zarahemlatowndrunk.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.