Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: xr ( )
Date: February 20, 2011 02:27AM

On facebook a thread appeared in relation to the abuse by Keith Brown towards his daughters. I thought I'd post here what I wrote there, for anyone who may be interested. Here goes:

I was raised from birth in this religion and served a full-time 2 year volunteer proselytizing mission.

The mormon church does repress and attempt to control sexuality. They tell me that sex with the woman I love is wrong, unless they have sanctioned the union. Their tools are guilt and fear. We do not know if this man would've abused his family if he were not raised in mormonism, but I have no doubt that the culture promoted by mormonism did little to help him. Guilt and fear do not build strength of will and purity of heart, they trap one into a cycle of submission and eternal imperfection.

These are some quotes that highlight a small fraction of my personal problems with mormonism.

"If that Negro is faithful all his days, he can and will enter the celestial kingdom. He will go there as a servant, but he will get a celestial resurrection." (Apostle Mark E. Peterson of the LDS Church, Address at Convention of Teachers of Religion, BYU, Utah, August 27, 1954)

“Shall I tell you the law of God in regard to the AFRICAN RACE? If the WHITE man who belongs to the chosen seed mixes his blood with the seed of Cain, the PENALTY, under the LAW OF GOD, IS DEATH ON THE SPOT. THIS WILL ALWAYS BE SO.” (Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, Vol. 10, page 110)

The black servant of Joseph Smith, Jane Manning James, was denied the family sealing she desired but was instead sealed to Joseph Smith, "attached as a Servitor for eternity to the prophet Joseph Smith and in this capacity be connected with his family and be obedient to him in all things in the Lord as a faithful Servitor". (Salt Lake Temple Adoption Record, May 18, 1894, Book A, p. 26)

The church is full of love, as you can see. Even black people can see God again! Is that not Christlike? Unfortunately white men who take black wives will have to be put to death, but it's all out of love, rest assured.

Joseph Smith loved his 14yr old wives I am sure. Such love this church teaches. He also had the wives of other married, faithful LDS men, sealed to him, rather than they being sealed for eternity to their loving husbands. This document detailing 'polyandry' is published by pro-LDS group FAIR (http://www.fairlds.org/pubs/polyandry.pdf). Joseph Smith's 14 year old wives are documented in official marriage records and can be verified online.

Special mention for Mark Hofmann, who tricked the "prophets" of the church (where was the revelation to protect them?) into purchasing various forged documents from mormon history. I ask with what money were these purchases made? The widow's mite? If one cannot trust the leaders of the church to use revelation to spend their member's hard earned 10% of gross income, then how can one trust them at all?

Aaargh. I think I could ramble on and on. And in fact the list does go on and on. Some will claim a "spiritual witness" through prayer of the "truth" can brush aside the need for an analytical approach to the truth of mormonism. Then... why didn't the leaders of the church use such a prayer to discern Hofmann and his forgeries?

It doesn't matter how much wool the wolf slinks beneath, it remains yet a wolf. Especially in the case of a religion that claims a perfect avenue of DIRECT revelation from a most high God. Such a religion cannot be afforded ANY mistakes, for it is in fact claiming that God has made these mistakes.

I believe this church is, in no particular order, seeking: 1. Member's Money, 2. Power.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: February 20, 2011 10:07AM

It is all sickening...those things you quoted. Disgusting! And I just don't get how Mormons get around it. BY was to be so inspired as other leaders were. So did they just have a bad day when they said those things???

Sorry for the repeats. YIKES!!!That has never happened before.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2011 10:09AM by honestone.

It is all sickening...those things you quoted. Disgusting! And I just don't get how Mormons get around it. BY was to be so inspired as other leaders were. So did they just have a bad day when they said those things???

sorry for the repeats!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2011 10:08AM by honestone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2011 10:09AM by honestone.

Posted by: xr ( )
Date: February 20, 2011 10:36AM

Haha, I had thought my post had suddenly become quite popular.

The tone of my facebook post is more negative than what I'd like, and I hope I can move away from negativity in the not too distant future.

I know I detracted from the sexual abuse news, which was the original topic of the facebook post, but the thread had progressed to general mormon pro/anti chit-chat by the time I posted.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 20, 2011 10:44AM

crossroads Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The black servant of Joseph Smith, Jane Manning James, was denied the family sealing she desired but was instead sealed to Joseph Smith, "attached as a Servitor for eternity to the
> prophet Joseph Smith and in this capacity be connected with hisfamily and be obedient to him in all things in the Lord as a faithful Servitor". (Salt Lake Temple Adoption Record, May
> 18, 1894, Book A, p. 26)

I wonder if the church ever went back and fixed this horrible, demeaning sealing. And if not, why not?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.