Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pathway ( )
Date: March 03, 2014 12:37PM

It is now March. Let the speculation begin!

So there is just 11 more days until the March 14th due date for TSM to appear in UK fraud case. I think the only thing that is most certain is that TSM will not appear personally. What are your predictions?

1. Gets dismissed before March 14.
2. CPS (did I get the acronym right?) takes over before March 14.
3. Huge settlement with lots of $$$$$ but a gag order.
4. LDS lawyers obtain an indefinite delay due to TSM health or some other reason.
5. LDS representative allowed to testify in place of TSM.
6. No response, no show, no proxy allowed...warrant for TSM arrest gets issued.
7. Other?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: roslyn ( )
Date: March 03, 2014 12:39PM

I'm going to go with #4...looks like they've been setting this up for a bit.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 03, 2014 12:41PM

Pathway Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 5. LDS representative allowed to testify in place

This could be a boon for LDS Inc. if they played it right. I hope they are NOT allowed someone to be a proxy prophet who could spin like a PR lawyer into making this some kind of religious freedom win if it is a lose for LDS Inc.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: March 03, 2014 12:48PM

Tom reported that option 1 is out because closing a proceeding requires a minimum of two weeks notice to plaintiff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2014 12:48PM by Void K. Packer.

Posted by: vh65 ( )
Date: March 03, 2014 12:50PM

If he showed up for the temple opening, he is well enough to show up in the UK. As a British judge or citizen I would be annoyed with him flaunting defiance of a court order. It might get the press a little more riled up and interested.

They should have kept him home "in bed" and they aren't stupid. My guess is the leadership and lawyers think they have a deal almost worked out. I am hoping it falls through.

Date: March 03, 2014 12:57PM

If the proceeding is not dismissed it will go to court and a verdict will be handed down. There is no "deal" option.

Posted by: vh65 ( )
Date: March 03, 2014 02:34PM

I meant, for example, he could send a rep or teleconference or delay with mental competency to stand trial studies... Or they really think it will get quashed. Truth is, they are old men. They have controlled politics in Utah and neighboring states for years, and have influence in US politics as well. They probably see it as a ridiculous challenge because they haven't looked at it from an outside perspective. Maybe they really can't fathom this being real. Because Tommy should have stayed home unless he is planning to go to England.

Date: March 03, 2014 02:36PM

Posted by: sayhitokolob4me ( )
Date: March 03, 2014 12:54PM

Urim and Thummim says odds are:

1) 12-5
2) 11-7
3) 99-1
4) 6-5
5) 3-2
6) 12-1
7) 9-5

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: March 03, 2014 12:55PM

From what I have read around the interwebz, the British court system does not put up with the BS American courts do.

I am guessing. But, though Monson may be tried with representation rather than being on the stand, this will go forward.

Additionally, the huge sum of money that would have been defrauded by fraudulent charity tax deductions will have the full attention of the British government...which makes bribery almost impossible.

This is not Utah law.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: March 03, 2014 01:00PM

Jesus returns on day 10.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: March 03, 2014 01:07PM

Hahahaha!
That's what any mormon who knows about the case is hoping for, lol!

Posted by: dupsterfnuberdork ( )
Date: March 03, 2014 01:21PM

Brothers and Sisters we need to fast and pray that the Lord will hasten his coming!

Posted by: corwin ( )
Date: March 03, 2014 01:19PM

My understanding is that option #3 is not an option under British law. I think Tom alluded to that in the Infants on Thrones podcast or perhaps it was the Canadian radio show.

However, option 7 could be:

7. No response, no show, no proxy, and no further action is taken (no warrant is issued, life goes on as normal).

However I trust that Tom will not let this quietly die and has a contingency plan in case that happens.

Date: March 03, 2014 01:28PM

I don't see this as viable. I don't see how that level of contempt of court would result in less than a warrant for arrest being issued. And while Monson could just never go where he might be extradited (the US would never, ever do so) in his limited remaining life, the church has A LOT of assets in the UK that could be frozen and/or seized. My opinion is a raft of lawyers will show up in his stead and he'll get a pass in that hearing for personal health or whatever. Assuming the hearing results in the case being sent to Crown Court, he'll have to appear there, probably sooner than later.

Posted by: onlinemoniker ( )
Date: March 03, 2014 01:19PM

CPS? Child Protective Services? Are you talking for Monson? I guess that's possible...

Posted by: Vote for Pedro ( )
Date: March 03, 2014 01:33PM

1, 2 and 3 are out. It's too late throw the case out, and it's a criminal case, so there's no settling out of court for cash.

Monson's inability to show up personally doesn't preclude a representative showing up to answer the charges, so I don't see how they could do 4. Blowing it off wouldn't be good, so they've got to go with 5.

Date: March 03, 2014 01:42PM

Pedro has pretty much summed it up. Also, you should vote for him so all your wildest dreams come true.

Posted by: fenodyree ( )
Date: March 03, 2014 01:56PM

CPS=Crown Prosecution Service (Her Majesty is in charge of the legal system, too)

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: March 03, 2014 02:13PM

Why don't you buy some lottery tickets, hoping to win....
Because xpecting Church getting Verarscht, (Screwed) in this deal is a pipe dream

Posted by: grubbygert ( )
Date: March 03, 2014 02:20PM

it all depends on your definition of "screwed" in this scenario

if it is something like "monsoon in jail" then yeah, you're probably right on it being an extreme long shot

however, there are many other possibilities that have the potential to screw TSCC over - it's not a black/white win/lose situation - for example, TSCC can "win" in court and still lose big time in the court of public opinion

all we can do is watch and see

Posted by: corwin ( )
Date: March 03, 2014 02:22PM

We've already won the preliminary skirmish. Already, TSCC is publishing essays admitting that TSCC and it's leaders were wrong. There have already been anecdotal reports of many, even Bishops, leaving TSCC due to the essays. So, regardless of the outcome of the trial, progress has already been made.

TSCC has kowtowed to legal action in the past -- when the US government came after it for polygamy, it made a measurable impact. And this won't be the first time a so-called religion has had their chops busted in court -- see how well Scientology fared in Europe's courts.

The outcome is far from certain, yes. But it is worth pursuing. Tom has already struck a blow for the good guys, let's keep up the good fight!

Posted by: Pathway ( )
Date: March 03, 2014 02:43PM

Quick Summary from what I've read above.

#1 No longer an option. Requires two week notice.
#2 Someone said this option is out, but not sure why.
#3 Not an option under British Law since this is a criminal case and not a civil lawsuit
#4 Considered likely for the LDS Church to attempt
#5 Considered likely if #4 fails
#6 Didn't really see commentary on the likelihood of this happening other than a lot of Ex-Mo's wouldn't mind seeing this result.
#7 One vote for nothing. But unlikely that TP would let it die.

So, with 4 and 5 the most likely options, it appears that we are guaranteed at least one more flurry of news on this topic. I bet the TBMs have all forgotten about it.

Posted by: whoresonpratt ( )
Date: March 03, 2014 09:36PM

Freemasonry's agents planned and made the Mormon cult.
(Quite like they made the Jaydub cult and SDAs.)

Their modern masonical brothers sit on their ample buttocks behind and inside the Crown and their courts.

These oath-bound brothers work both sides of the road. They only pretend to litigate.

The Craft loves to stage these spectacular trials.

Dear Tom may not be aware of all this age-old intrigue.

God bless him and us with a miracle.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.