Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 03, 2014 09:31PM

Well what the bleep do you know?

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/535619-stanford-physicist-vast-powerful-realm-between-particles-influenced-by-human-consciousness/

Stanford University Professor Emeritus William A. Tiller has been researching a level of physical reality hitherto undetectable with conventional measurement instruments.

He says two kinds of substances exist:

1. The electric atom/molecule level: Substances on this level can be measured with traditional instruments. We can measure them because they are electric-charge based.

2. The magnetic information waves level: Tiller explains in an introduction to his research on his website: “This new level of substance, because it appears to function in the physical vacuum (the empty space between the fundamental electric particles that make up our normal electric atoms and molecules), is currently invisible to us and to our traditional measurement instruments.”

This second type of substance has great power, and it is affected by human thought.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: braindead ( )
Date: March 03, 2014 09:44PM

Shummy - Tiller has earned spot #338 in The Encyclopedia of American Loons.

http://americanloons.blogspot.com/2013/01/388-william-tiller.html

Date: March 03, 2014 09:51PM

polly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Shummy - Tiller has earned spot #338 in The
> Encyclopedia of American Loons.
>
> http://americanloons.blogspot.com/2013/01/388-will
> iam-tiller.html

Thanks for pointing that out.

What the bleep do I know?

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: March 03, 2014 10:01PM

I didn't know that stuff about him either, but there was a lot of "weirdness" I saw when I investigated some of the New Age Crowd nearly thirty years ago. Hanging onto sanity and objectivity around some of those sorts is definitely a challenge.

Date: March 03, 2014 10:06PM

SL Cabbie Wrote:
> I didn't know that stuff about him either, but
> there was a lot of "weirdness" I saw when I
> investigated some of the New Age Crowd nearly
> thirty years ago. Hanging onto sanity and
> objectivity around some of those sorts is
> definitely a challenge.

Wise council my learned friend.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: March 03, 2014 10:29PM

I'm sure I could find a mormon physicist who would testify to the power of the holy ghost

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 04, 2014 02:02AM

The space between the ears is greatly affected by human thought.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 11:36AM

"The space between the ears is greatly affected by human thought."

--donbagley--

Mr. Bagley, that is why you are being archived at the Salamander Society.

Posted by: hfo ( )
Date: March 04, 2014 02:16AM

I met William Tiller about 30 years ago. Very nice fellow.

Things happen in this world that are hard/impossible to explain by accepted science. IMHO science has been bought off much as many other institutions.

The university physics department I worked with was only interested in pursuing "paid" research, not knowledge for the sake of knowing. Since these soft "weird" areas generally can't be turned into $$$, they are avoided.

Thanks for the post Shummy

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 04, 2014 08:40AM

Are you kidding? People are trying to turn this sort of claptrap into money All. The. Time.

This is basically what Mormonism does. The Veil is Thin. Spirit matter is more refined. God doesn't talk to tea drinkers.

Nonsense, the lot of it.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: March 04, 2014 10:11AM

When these guys get backed into a corner they drop the work "quantum" the same as mormons drop the word "testimony."

Posted by: hfo ( )
Date: March 04, 2014 11:08AM

I agree that lots of money is made in the quack world by throwing buzz words like "frequency" around.

10 years ago or so a fellow was selling "electrified water" that he claimed would cure anything. You could open the bottle and stick your finger in and get quite a shock. I did some experimenting, charging my own bottles of water up to 2000 Volts. It turned out that it was the bottle itself, acting as a dielectric, that was taking the charge, and not the water. No curative properties at all, but he suckered lots of people.

I think though, that people who give up on the morg tend to see everything as a fraud. But that's being as close minded as TBM's are about mormonism.

How did each and every electron get started spining around its respective nucleus? Why didn't electrons just get sucked right into the protons? If this whole model is wrong, and you don't like quantum physics, which model do you propose?

Fact is we don't really know anything for sure, not in physics, not about ourselves. So, it leaves a bit of room for pushing the envelope and exploring alternate ideas.

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: March 04, 2014 05:07PM

Normal human intuition regarding the way things move/behave breaks down pretty badly when you get to the (sub)atomic level. That intuition was developed in an environment where everything is a mass conglomerate held together by invisibly tiny electric charges that cancel each other out to be imperceptible and whose bulk behavior is controlled by inertia and gravity, the weakest influences out there. And friction, which is a constant influence on macroscopic behaviors, is nonexistent. (Sub)atomic physics do not "make sense" until you become fairly familiar with them.

Without even counting the *truly* weird quantum, wave-particle duality, or quarkly stuff, electrons are not spinny sparks (at least, that's how I used to - and still do kinda - visualize them :) ) rotating like moons around a cluster of tiny balls; the difference between a model like that and the way things actually behave is like the difference between a petting zoo and a colony of army ants; it's a woefully inadequate viewpoint and suddenly everything looks like strange (and in my perhaps poorly chosen simile, horrifying) magic.

To the people who actually study it, things are actually relatively well understood - there's still a lot of unknown, but those mysteries are deeper than someone uneducated/inexperienced with the subject can really comprehend. For the most part, any mystery simple enough to be presented to an average person in the time span of a sales pitch is not actually a mystery (or is pure fabrication).

Which is of course why it attracts a lot of shysters pretending to have figured it out for their customers.

Posted by: ramonglyde ( )
Date: March 04, 2014 11:48AM

Are you sure this isn't something out of that last Indy Jones epic, "They have gone to the space between spaces."

And, if you really think we have any real idea what history and ancient civilizations are about, let's discuss the pyramid recently found in Bosnia (Yes, the one in Europe).
http://beforeitsnews.com/beyond-science/2013/04/30000-year-old-bosnian-pyramids-built-with-man-made-cement-2441772.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2014 11:51AM by ramonglyde.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: March 04, 2014 12:07PM

Wow, it's been a while since someone brought the great Bosnian hill up.

What we have here is someone who is relying on the general public's lack of interest in geology.

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: March 04, 2014 05:18PM

Tiller is a Woo meister that has been debunked before:

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2010/03/16/alternative-science-alternative-medicine/

Excerpt below:

And I’ve found another doozy, this time from William A. Tiller. We’ve met William Tiller before. At the time, he actually had the audacity to propose a “higher-dimensional-level substance, labeled deltrons, falling outside the constraints of relativity theory and able to move at velocities” faster than the speed of light and that acts as “a coupling agent between the electric monopole types of substances and the magnetic monopole types of substances to produce both electromagnetic (EM) and magnetoelectric (ME) types of mediator fields exhibiting a special type of ‘mirror principle’ relationship between them,” and I proposed that Tiller and Milgrom battle it out in a steel cage match to see whose woo is strongest. It’s now three years later, and Tiller is back with more ammunition to use to prove whose woo reigns supreme, and all I can say is: Wow, maaaaan! Check out the title: On Understanding the Very Different Science Premises Meaningful to CAM Versus Orthodox Medicine: Part I–The Fundamentals.

You can tell right away that Tiller is going to make stuff up by the very title! Notice how he makes a dichotomy of “very different science premises” needed to be “meaningful” to CAM. In the real world, science is science.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: March 04, 2014 05:23PM

Things that can't be detected may as well not exist if they can't affect anything or cause any phenomena. We've delved into the microscopic molecular details of brains and still haven't found the spirit antenna. Not saying we won't, but so far nothing....

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 11:31AM

Tiller was a materials scientist before he retired. He switched to full-on unsupported WOO based on a shaky to non-existent foundation which includes eastern "philosophy."

The guy is full of it.

Here's some of his more egregious word salad:

"“Consciousness lifts the higher thermodynamic free energy state [of the vacuum level], then we can access the physics of the vacuum,” Tiller says. “Accessing that new physics allows intention to bring forth effects you wouldn’t imagine.”

"The consciousness can, in a way, affect or interact with a power greater than anything conventional instruments have been able to measure thus far."

If you think that makes sense, then you need to step back, take a deep breath, and go talk to a real physicist (or to any scientist familiar with the scientific method).

Date: March 06, 2014 01:37PM

Once More Wrote:

>
> If you think that makes sense, then you need to
> step back, take a deep breath, and go talk to a
> real physicist (or to any scientist familiar with
> the scientific method).

Ahhh, why would I come to rely on a 'science' that cannot come to terms with that which Einstein struggled so to define.

My quest has taken me out into the woo-weeds a ways but I knows by now there's magic and then there is magik.

So what if that's what the Magic Jew was dis-playin, if it feels good, I'm there for a taste.

Heisenberg came up with a convenient theory that splained quantum all right. Never mind it is all provably wrong, it works.

Even broken clocks like me have our moments.

Cheers :o)

:o)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.