Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wellsville ( )
Date: March 04, 2014 08:06PM

I have been invited to a mission call envelope opening this weekend. The family thinks since it is a small envelope that the mission will be stateside rather than overseas. Is there any truth to this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: March 04, 2014 08:35PM

It's not the size of the envelope that counts . . .

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 04:49PM

It's how you use it.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: March 04, 2014 08:39PM

Not that I'm aware of. IIRC, they are always full size 8.5 x 11" letters that are pulled out. Not folded.

Wait.

This weekend? Today is Tuesday (isn't it?). They must expect it between now and then right? Please tell me that it hasn't already shown up and is sitting on the counter until then.

Posted by: wellsville ( )
Date: March 04, 2014 09:00PM

It is sitting there and they are doing it at the Ward with all the members.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: March 04, 2014 09:03PM

Jeebus. Just stay in Wellsville. It's muhc nicer than most places you'd be sent - safer, too.

Posted by: popeyes ( )
Date: March 04, 2014 09:55PM

Could be a rejection letter if it is a regular envelope.

Posted by: BG ( )
Date: March 04, 2014 10:52PM

Just drive up 89/91 elder and be prepared to do nothing for 2 years.

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: March 04, 2014 11:39PM

It's been a long, long time since I was a missionary. So, opening a mission call letter has evolved into some kind of ceremony? WTF??

Posted by: Hodgie ( )
Date: March 04, 2014 11:49PM

Dropped the F bomb when I opened my mission call... Safe to say my parents never showed anybody that video... It was a full size envolope , I think they always are...

Posted by: reuben ( )
Date: March 04, 2014 11:56PM

id love to see his face when he reads "Nampa Idaho Mission."

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 05:00PM

or Mantua, Utah North mission.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 12:31AM

"I have been invited to a mission call envelope opening this weekend. " - WTF? Seriously? They are having guests over for this? What if it isn't what they think it is?
I continually get surprised by TSCC. This is INSANE.

Posted by: sincere9 ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 12:42AM

My favorites are when everyone gets hyped up and then the call is for a place like Rexburg, Idaho or Mesa, Arizona. You can just hear the disappointment in their voices. I'm in Utah and those are actual mission calls for my friend and my sister. My poor cousin's family was planning on moving to Provo from Texas when he opened his mission call. He got called to Utah. He was actually in our ward in Highland for a while. There was very little actual missionary work for him to do so he put on a musical play. His family moved to Provo while he was still on his mission. He was about a 20 minute drive away but couldn't go see them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2014 12:58AM by sincere9.

Posted by: runningawayquickly ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 03:13PM

My parents planned a big reveal for mine without me realizing it. House full of family and friends. I basically told them hell no and opened it by myself in my room. Rinsed the vomit out of my mouth, smile on my face and came out to tell the rest. I was an introverted pacifist and only lasted 2 months before I couldn't take it anymore. Moved out a few months later, family relations never the same. Took me another 13 years to realize it was all a con. Uggh makes me sick to think about it

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 03:35PM

I realize that times have changed since I opened my letter in 1978, but I just ripped it open standing next to the mail box. No one else home. Called my dad at work and left a message for him. I had felt since childhood that I would go to Southern Germany, since my grandmother with from Nuremberg, and by golly, that's where I went.

Posted by: NoLongerThatGuy ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 04:45PM

I always thought I'd get called to Germany too. I took all the German classes I could in high school and during my first year at BYU. Then my call arrived, and I was off to Asia. I did meet one tourist from Germany, though. My mother was happy about that because to her meant that I hadn't wasted all those years studying German. To this day, she's sure that guy went home to Germany and got baptized.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 04:51PM

OMG I think that you were my MTC companion! Lol

All he did for 2 months was bitch about how he studied German for years and now had to learn Japanese!

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 04:55PM

LOL… my husband's ex daughter got called to South Salt Lake City.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 05:00PM

I was in the BYU dorms when I got my call. Another dude on my floor got his call the same day. We opened them together surrounded by our dorm mates. His was to Atlanta mine to Rome. I thought he was going to cry of disappointment. I vowed then and there to never participate in another thing like that. It was horrible.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.