Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mythb4meat ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 12:24PM

Last night 11 of us met in Portland for food, drinks, conversation. I had the great pleasure of meeting some very nice people!

Madalice, Anagrammy, Twojedis, Sithlord, Newnamenephi and spouse, and 4 other folks who seldom post, were there.

We spent some time where each person had a chance to briefly tell their story of LDS church, then factors leading to their departure. Very interesting, as many specific issues were discussed including: Church finances, monetary fraud, tithing, family acceptance or not, dealing with children, the FLDS in Colorado City, newfound freedom, true belief among the GA's, the temple, and other things.

The perspective of each individual is unique, and it was very enlightening to hear the stories. So nice to meet everyone!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 11:35PM

I'm so glad we all got together. It was such an interesting group. I think we could have talked for hours more. It was nice to meet the people behind the names.

The church has lost some great people. People who are incredibly gifted, talented, educated, well spoken. Some really great single people, and some great couples. It was fascinating how diverse we were, yet we all seemed to hit it off.

Thank you to everyone who was there. I had a great time.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 12:55AM

I had a great time too. Thanks to everyone for coming such a long way. It is so worth the time to put faces to the names of posters and to meet some of our lurkers too.

I especially enjoyed the heated argument we got into as to whether or not a church leader is being fraudulent if he truly believes.....

You better believe nobody even looked at their iPhone the whole evening!

Cheers

Anagrammy

Date: March 06, 2014 01:22AM

Ana,
my GPS behaved on the way home.I'm sure satan had possession of it while I was in Portland.

I was on the freeway in minutes after we parted. The only problem was the buckets of moisture falling on the road home. Once again, stan. We all know he controls the the water. I think he's also in charge of Seattle traffic.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 02:05AM

madalice Wrote:

>
> The church has lost some great people. People who
> are incredibly gifted, talented, educated, well
> spoken.

and, they're substituting drones/clones.

If that isn't a death spiral... Nothing Is

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 12:42PM

I had the best time, and I can't believe I forgot to take photos. :((

Sorry we had to run off so suddenly, and I didn't get contact info for some of you. It was great to meet you all and hope to see you again. Our monthly meetup is this Sunday at 3:00 in the same restaurant in the upstairs loft. Hope the locals can make it out.

Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 12:26AM

Sorry I missed it, I was sicker'n a dog Monday and Tues. I will try to make the next one.

Date: March 06, 2014 12:34AM

Awww, get better soon.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.