Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 09:13PM

Carey Smith Steacy, a Canadian airline pilot with 17 years of experience, apparently received a blunt and critical letter from a distraught passenger recently.

"The cockpit of an airliner is no place for a woman,” reads a letter written on a napkin left aboard a Calgary flight to Victoria, B.C., obtained by Metro News. "A woman being a mother is the most honor. Not as 'captain.' Were (sic) short on mothers, not pilots WestJet."

The letter further contained reference to a biblical verse and concludes, “In the end, this is all mere vanity.”

The author further said he wished WestJet would warn their passengers when a "fair lady" was at the helm so they would have the chance to book another flight.

http://news.yahoo.com/westjet-passenger-leaves-super-sexist-note-for-female-pilot-161057500.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Checker of minor facts ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 09:22PM

LOL! There is at least one ignorant person in any crowd.

I have stories I could tell, back in my old aviator days. But lets move forward instead. ;-)

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: March 05, 2014 09:41PM

I just sent this pilot a message on facebook. I told her the world needs more human beings like herself. I told her I hope her feelings were not hurt. The author of the nasty letter sound a little TBM to me.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 12:16AM

her skirt was so short you could see the cockpit.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 12:31AM

Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 12:24AM

Why else would they call it a "cockpit"? Lol. Sorry, I just had to say it.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 12:36AM

It's not that long ago that this would have been a majority opinion. There are still people alive who were born before women were allowed to vote in this, the home of the free, and land of the brave. That was a hard-fought battle that took 70 years, because women didn't "belong" in the voting booth.

Equality advances one funeral at a time. Not completely true, of course, but close enough to be uncomfortable.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 12:54AM

All over the news here in Alberta, Westjet's home base. I'd rather have Capt. Steacy drivin' my 737 than that idiot. He must be a joy to have for a husband or father....NOT!

Ron Burr

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 10:23AM

Not only is the writer a misogynistic dipsh!t, but he was either very old or not very smart, since the term cockpit hasn’t been used in the larger aircraft for decades now. The term is flight deck.

Posted by: ramonglyde ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 11:29AM

I hope I don't get burned too bad for this but, the note was left by a passenger and no one knows who it is. So --- why the assumption it was a guy? I think we all know far to many Molly-mo women who could just as easily have written this travesty.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 11:35AM

Well, it was signed Daniel, I thought. That might be where the assumption is coming from.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 11:42AM

Actually it was signed "David"...no matter though...his language and writing skills embarrass him. I hope he is eventually identified so he can face some public humiliation. The fact he deigned to write his full name shows he has no balls!

Ron Burr

Date: March 06, 2014 11:57AM

It was David? God I had a hard time with his handwriting. It took me forever to realize that he was saying we were short on mothers, that phrase looked like complete gibberish to me.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 11:40AM

We don't know, but the pilot does. This was left in a specific seat, and the pilot has the passenger list. I'm sure she referred to the author as Daniel after verifying the name on the note against the seat number.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 11:41AM

We don't need no pilots. I've never heard of a plane going down because of auto pilot error.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 12:11PM

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 02:19PM

Bullshit, you didn't see the movie Airplane?

;>)

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 02:34PM

Now I want to slip the next female pilot a note that says "I just wanted to say Good Luck, we're all counting on you."

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 03:24PM

LOL

Posted by: ramonglyde ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 12:19PM

I stand corrected.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 03:41PM

We have a woman pilot working for us. Hell of a pilot too.

Date: March 06, 2014 03:43PM

I keep seeing this and it bother me.

Hell, I don't care if you are a sentient baked potato, as long as you get me safely from a to b, you can do and be whatever you want.

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 03:49PM

O.K, somewhat off topic.

Once boarded a commercial flight, I was on crutches. The flight attendant moved me from a seat next to the emergency exit (which I usually got when available due to leg room) to a "mundane" seat in the middle of the middle. Due to my crutches she considered me to be blocking the E-exit. She was being somewhat apologetic. I told her "No problem. You're crew, I'm cargo."

She said "I wish more people understood that." Later in the flight she gave me a free drink.

Posted by: rain ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 04:52PM

Not to mention that there is no shortage of mothers in the world.

Posted by: Demon of Kolob ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 05:17PM

What a @@#@#@#@#@#. Maybe all the male flight attendants he insulted will beat him up.

Posted by: AngelCowgirl ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 05:34PM

Any man who believes the cockpit is no place for a woman should learn that no woman will have a use or place for his c*ck.

Posted by: roslyn ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 05:45PM

What an ass.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 06:34PM

She should leave a note saying: "You're right, the cockpit of an airliner is no place for a woman--a woman's place is in the cockpit of a CF-18 Hornet fighter!"

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 06:52PM

Check out this article for a slightly different version of the pilot's reply than is contained in the Yahoo article. The pilot addresses the terminology used by the male passenger. Pretty funny:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/female-westjet-pilot-posts-passenger-s-sexist-note-on-facebook-1.2559603

As to whether the passenger could be Mormon or not (due to the content of his note) I'm going to guess no, as he referenced the Bible, not the BoM. My snotty remark for today is that in my experience, Mormons use the BoM a lot and the Bible not very much. I am guessing that a great many don't know too many Bible passages they can quote by chapter and verse, like this guy did. Granted, the motherhood thing sounds Mormon, but could also be fundamentalist Christian.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2014 06:53PM by Nightingale.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.