Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: neverMOinproVO ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 09:46PM

Do Mormons tend to have an opinion about Jewish people?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 09:52PM

Yeah, Mormons practically think they are Jewish. Or at least that they'll be inheriting along with the Jewish people when the Jewish people become a part of them.

Most Mormons consider themselves to be of the Tribe of Ephraim.

Posted by: neverMOinproVO ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 10:01PM

hmmm interesting. Thanks Greyfort.

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 10:02PM

I've known some who are a fascinated with Judaism and Jewish history.

It kind of depends on the Mormon though.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 10:05PM

A prominent LDS family in southern Alberta, the Bickmans, have Jewish roots.

Ron Burr

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 10:07PM

Mormons are the only ones who refer to the Jews as 'gentile'.

doh

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 10:11PM

I've always found that strange.

Posted by: jujubee ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 10:20PM

respectful.

a former jewish Utah gov said "I'm in the only place where I'm Jewish and gentile"

Posted by: roya1b100d ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 10:32PM

I've heard 100 years ago the church wanted to appear almost jewish but recently moved towards a more "christian" theme

Date: March 06, 2014 10:37PM

As was noted in another thread, Horny Joe and his early cronies were avid students of Hebrew.

HJ also had a rabbi tutor in Nauvoo.

'King Follet' was pure Kaballah, if you know what that is.

Posted by: ShickenSh*t ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 10:57PM

Oh yeah, they love the Jews. I had one lady in the old ward crying about how similar they are. Really, wouldn't you want to be closer to a Christian denomination if you claim to be so Christian? Why are they so proud to be similar to a group that denies the divinity of Jesus. In fact they even call him all sorts of bad names. Jesus is a bad guy in the Jewish religion.

Date: March 06, 2014 11:16PM

ShickenSh*t Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh yeah, they love the Jews. I had one lady in the
> old ward crying about how similar they are.
> Really, wouldn't you want to be closer to a
> Christian denomination if you claim to be so
> Christian? Why are they so proud to be similar to
> a group that denies the divinity of Jesus. In fact
> they even call him all sorts of bad names. Jesus
> is a bad guy in the Jewish religion.

true that!

otoh, islam holds the Magic Jew in high esteem along with his virgin mom.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 11:20PM

When the Jews accept Mormonism huzzah! time for the millennium.

I think that's how it goes. Am I remembering it right?

Posted by: jkjkjkjk ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 11:41PM

I love telling my Jewish friends about the Mormons stories about the Jews. I think they think I am kidding them because it is just so incredibly stupid.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 11:46PM

I recall in the '70's it was all about "Oh yes, we're so much like the Jews we're almost them--i.e. The Chosen People....persecuted....direct covenants with God...you name it, except a lot more blonds.....

Date: March 07, 2014 12:03AM

...except a lot more blonds..... with a fetish for uncomely underwear.

Posted by: bentleye ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 01:33AM

As a Jew growing up in the midwest I first learned about Mormons in my early teens in the 70s. I don't know how I learned. I must have read about them in a national geographic or something. I thought that it was very cool that they were Christians, but they identified as Jewish and shared a similar history (per whatever source I read). I felt a kindred feeling with Mormons though I didn't know any. I also thought it was appealing that their Jesus came to the Americas and ministered to the Indians. That is how I understood it. I never saw the book of Mormon.

The first Mormons I met were a couple of sister missionaries at the University of Illinois in the early 80s. I don't remember a thing they taught, but I thought they were very hot and exotic. Two hot blondes from a lost tribe of Israel. It was kind of an American Queen of Sheba thing.

To me they were different than women that I knew. In retrospect, I bet sister missionaries in the early 80s were subject to pressures that I could not even imagine.

I didn't see the other side of Mormonism until the internet showed it to me when I was looking at something else.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 01:53AM

They support Israel no matter how many Palestinian kids they detain in the middle of the night and question under duress for hours, or how many they shoot in the street.

They think of themselves as Jews, yet with classic Mormon cog dis, they believe Jews were the only people in the countless worlds created by Elohim who were evil enough to murder their own God.

Posted by: roya1b100d ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 02:03AM

Their dire support for Israel is disgusting. Im orthodox christian and obviously our politics being pro Russian pro Putin anti-zionist are conflicting.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 10:59AM

Mormons don't know what this means but Jews from all over the word do. Mormons are not Jews and are not magically descended from non-existent ancient pre-Columbian Hebrews.

Posted by: dragonmystic ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 11:18AM

I remember that my ward had this scoffing idea of Jews. The idea was that Jews had become so concerned with the letter of their Laws--and the observances of them, making up new and weird laws--that they had forgotten to live the spirit of the laws, and so had become wicked.

Even as a TBM I laughed and saw the complete irony of this, because this was at the same time my neighborhood was having its obsessive moments with:

1. ONLY doing Sunday-approved things on Sunday (i.e. ONLY read scriptures and go to church. You should be preparing food on Saturday, only sticking it in the oven, and heaven forbid if you TURN ON a television!)

2. Convincing themselves to not drink caffeinated soda, or even soda at all!

I can't remember if I pointed it out or not. I think I did that time.

Posted by: Demon of Kolob ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 11:45AM

In the MTC we had special classes on teaching Jews They had a special lesson and flip chart for Jews this was the 80's

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 11:58AM

when the class that year was the Book of Mormon was that the Jews were responsible for what happened to them during the Holocaust.

They pulled out some passage from Second Nephi to justify said teaching.

Sick, sick, sick.

Posted by: laytonguy2 ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 12:02PM

I may be way off base here, but I have ALWAYS wondered how Jewish people would not be aware of what goes on in the 'temple'.

It just seems like, if what Mormons practice is from the temple of old, you would think that Jewish people would have some familiarity about it. May not.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 12:43PM

Here is why Jews "feel the way they do about "the" [usually means the second one] temple":

It was destroyed by the ancient Romans (who were trying to get a political advantage out of their destruction) TWO THOUSAND years ago. The time of its destruction came at the culmination of a very long internal Jewish political/religious struggle which had ALREADY produced "the temple's" successor: the local community synagogue. Jews are very historically minded (and Jewish kids develop a coherent historical line which goes back centuries at astonishingly young ages: like four or five or six), but there was a SUCCESSOR to the temple, and one of them at least exists in every Jewish community, or every place where there are any substantive number of Jews at all, and "the [ancient] temple" is not "needed" anymore because the "blessings" that were sought at the ancient temple can be found not only in the local synagogue of any particular Jew's choice, but also in every Jewish heart. Individual prayer replaced the animal sacrifices of the ancient temple which has not existed for the past TWO THOUSAND YEARS!!!

Second: The animal sacrifices (which were 95% of why the ancient temple existed at all) are repugnant to Jewish sensibilities, and this repugnance began almost with the fragments of the last column or wall that the ancient Romans brought down. Jews are usually VERY aware of animal rights, and the idea of "communicating to God" through KILLING ANIMALS is really disgusting to [most] contemporary Jews, and this has been true for about twenty centuries now.

The animal sacrifices in the ancient temple existed because individual prayer (as we know it today) hadn't been "invented" then. Yes...of course...people prayed...and every house had its "kitchen shrine" (many of which contained pagan idols of the era...that was the way people, including Jews, were comfortable doing things). But the kind of "individual prayer" AWARENESS that we have today didn't exist back then for the JEWS. (Hindus and Buddhists...different thing. ;) )

Once the [second] temple was demolished by the Romans, individual prayer became the centerpiece of Jewish religious observance...right up to today...and tomorrow...and the day after, too. (Synagogues were intended, primarily, as places where Jews could gather together to say INDIVIDUAL prayers as a COMMUNITY. There are certain prayers, such as Kaddish--said when someone dies--that can ONLY be said if there are a given number of people saying them, TOGETHER in a "community," so there is group support in times of death, etc.)

With the exception of some (in my own personal opinion) certifiably insane ultra-ultra-ultra rightwing Jews who are crazy nuts about "rebuilding the temple"--and, again--for largely POLITICAL motives vis-à-vis the Muslims), most Jews DO NOT WANT!!!!!!!!! "the temple" rebuilt EVER!!!!!!!!!

It would ONLY be rebuilt to KILL ANIMALS--thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands of animals...and this is a horrifying prospect to most Jews who give it the slightest thought.

In other words: replace individual prayers with killing animals. :(

What a H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E idea!!!!!!!!!

Yeah...JEWS think so, too!!! (Except for the small number of nutcases presently living in Jerusalem, and a few other places, who WANT to start the animal killings again, and are devoting their ENTIRE LIVES to this horrifying "aspiration.")

So Jews will historically honor "the temple," and SOME Orthodox Jews will mourn its destruction on Tisha b'Av (a day of mourning in the annual Jewish calendar), but hardly any Jews at all WANT to either think about, let alone BRING BACK, "the" temple.

It is a historical artifact which was destroyed long ago.

May it stay destroyed forever. (And this is MY prayer.)

[End of Jewish religious AND emotional rant.]

I thank you for your kind attention. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2014 12:47PM by tevai.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 01:39PM

Just sayin'

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 01:42PM

to what Jews did in their temple.
The Mormon temple is more of a Masonic temple, nothing to do with Jewish temple.

Posted by: Been there, too ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 12:15PM

Mormons arrogantly think they are the rightful heir of Judaism.

On a surface level, Mormons sometimes express admiration and respect for Jewish people. But many Jews look at what they actually practice and not just preach. Jews hate that the Mormon Church still baptizes holocaust victims and other deceased Jews posthumously. And Jews even despise Mormon doctrinal teachings, too. For example, they hate Mormon teachings about all Jews becoming Mormons in the latter days and other such nonsense.

Jews are happy with their culture and belief system. The Mormon Church, even more so than other Christian denominations, sees it as an inferior stepping stone to its own. That's not respect. It's a superiority complex on the part of the Mormon Church.

Posted by: revdrmichael ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 12:31PM

Wasn't Jesus a Jew?

Posted by: dragonmystic ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 12:36PM

Something Christians kinda forget. Particularly in the artwork.....

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 01:44PM

Are the original Jewish ceremonies from the Jerusalem temple.

Which, of course, is absolute claptrap to anyone who's done even the most rudimentary reading about the Jerusalem temple.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.