Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: johnstockton12 ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 10:44PM

Does anyone have any true, legit, stories of a stake president or GA having an affair or a bishop smoking a joint? I would love to hear some good stories about that kind of stuff.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous1234 ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 12:10AM

I have to be anonymous for this one.

I was in a stake in South Jordan Utah. The Stake President's counselor was the personal secretary to Gordon B. Hinckley. During this time the personal secretary had a romance and affair with his own secretary, a woman. Pres. Hinckley's secretary and the woman both divorced their spouses and married.

The guy was ex'ed and lost his job. I'm not sure about the woman, but I imagine she also lost her job and was ex'ed.

The guy was very unrepentant about it, I heard, claiming that they had not had sex with each other.

Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 05:15AM

The basis for claiming they had no had sex was that they had never had sexual intercourse itself. It is rumored that the change in the temple ceremony language from the narrow phrase "sexual intercourse" to the more broad "sexual relations" was directly related to this situation. In other words, they argued that while they has been all over each other physically, since he didn't go inside, it wasn't sexual intercourse. The church responded by changing the language to sexual relations.

GBH was said to be devastated by this and felt he was partially to blame. Apparently these two secretaries traveled a lot together on church business and naturally developed a level of comfort.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 01:33PM

Posted by: ? ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 12:57PM

around what year was this??

Posted by: Mr. Happy ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 01:05AM

I had a Stake President who was being groomed for BIG things in the church. He was stunningly handsome, and his wife was the granddaughter of a Prophet (he married them in the Salt Lake temple). At the time he was named Stake President, he was the youngest Stake Prez in the church. He had a beautiful family of five or six kids, received the "second anointing", and was a kind, loving, great man. Not some TBM prick. When he spoke his words were mesmerizing, and people left the meeting in tears having felt his strong spirit. When I came off my mission early he met with me frequently to make sure I was doing O.K. I could feel his love and empathy towards me. He was a really, really, great guy.

Years later I received a phone call from my father who was on the Stake High Council at the time. He was calling to tell me that he was just coming out of a "Court of Love" for this Stake President. He had been excommunicated. Turns out he was in a secret seven year homosexual relationship/affair with another dude.

I don't know much about his post-church life. I do know that he does not believe in the church, is divorced, some of his kids will have nothing to do with him, and that he has been in a relationship with his male partner for some time now. If I ever see him again I will shake his hand and embrace him.

Posted by: gentleben ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 09:24AM

Was this story about the sp who was a closet homosexual, or the airing of his personal shortcomings by lay clergy to the world? I think the second is much worse...

Posted by: tatersalad ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 12:37PM

You are very right strawberry. We are so scrambled by the church that we don't know which end is up. You can be sure though that if we were in the same ward, I would be flirting with you like crazy! Wouldn't matter what calling I had...;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2014 12:40PM by tatersalad.

Posted by: tatersalad ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 12:42PM

On my mission, the Bishop was having a secret affair with someone in the ward. he left with her in the middle of sacrament meeting, leaving behind his whole family, and the 1st counselor had to close out the meeting.

Posted by: sincere9 ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 01:13AM

My friend told me that when she was a teenager her bishop was a chiropractor. She went to him to be adjusted and he told her that her boobs needed adjusting also. So he went ahead and adjusted them. At the time, she was too naive and thought that it was part of the adjustment even though she felt weird about it.

Of course, he ended up getting caught later on. I'm not sure what the repercussions were legally but I know his wife divorced him!

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 01:38AM

I know what became of him....He was put on probation and relocated to Manti Utah where he lived next door to me. He almost became our Bishop until his probation officer raised holy hell over it...

Posted by: sincere9 ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 10:22AM

You've got to be kidding me! Why wouldn't someone like this be excommunicated for life!

Posted by: sophia ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 01:17AM

Quite awhile ago Lloyd Poelman got caught in the car with his pants down and a hooker performing a sex act. Not only was he a SP who had been appointed by Packer, but he was also a partner at Kirton McConkie. They took his name off the firms name. Brother of GA Ron.

Date: March 07, 2014 01:26AM

Looks like Lloyd Poelman is a judge now in Hawaii, but actually I'm wondering if this is his son, because he doesn't seem old enough to be the Poelman in question. Admitted to the Utah bar in 1985, he was probably too young to be a SP in the early to mid 90s.

http://www.hawaiisenatemajority.com/2013/11/hawaii-state-senate-confirms-judge-lloyd-a-poelman-to-maui-district-court/

Date: March 07, 2014 01:27AM

Looks like Lloyd Poelman is a judge now in Hawaii, but actually I'm wondering if this is his son, because he doesn't seem old enough to be the Poelman in question. Admitted to the Utah bar in 1985, he was probably too young to be a SP in the early to mid 90s.

http://www.hawaiisenatemajority.com/2013/11/hawaii-state-senate-confirms-judge-lloyd-a-poelman-to-maui-district-court/

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 01:22AM

I don't think the guy had an important calling, but we had this smarmy Utah Mormon move in, who was just the type that you knew was going to get a big important calling. Bishop was just clamoring to make the guy a councilor (or replacement). Man was a mortician by trade though, and this made it hard for him to get Sundays off, since that is a big burying day.

So anyways, his wife goes to surprise him at work, and walks in on him and a female client. Let's just be clear, by client, I don't mean she was a grieving widow, but more the wife of a grieving widower. I know the guy was not a big shot, but it is still my favorite story of Mormons behaving badly, of all time. As a bonus, I was the junior companion of the guy's home teacher, and I remember how so perfect, and tied together the guy used to seem. There wasn't the least that seemed off about him. Probably because he thought he found a fool proof way to handle his urges.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2014 01:23AM by forbiddencokedrinker.

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 01:42AM

OH.MY.GOD!

"Makin love by the fridgerator light, Cold Ethyl, Cold, Cold Ethyl!"

Alice Cooper.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 02:16AM

whiskeytango Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OH.MY.GOD!
>
> "Makin love by the fridgerator light, Cold Ethyl,
> Cold, Cold Ethyl!"
>
> Alice Cooper.

GREAT quotation!

Posted by: Cactus Jim ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 02:25AM

Ewwww. Goddam. Just - Ewwww.

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 05:26AM

Good God!

Took me a while to work that one out. Eeewwwwww!

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 09:49AM

Posted by: Anon4this ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 02:36AM

A Mormon bishop tried to have a full-blown affair with me. You could definitely say we had an emotional one...but it didn't go farther. He wanted leave his wife, marry me and start all over. He didn't care that he was a bishop, he just felt trapped by his life and wanted to escape it into something real. I think I was that escape until it became too hard for both of us. I never could have imagined myself being "the other woman". Being emotionally dishonest to my family and his, was killing me. As a result, I was causing him all kinds of drama. He confessed to his Stake President and continued to serve for 3 additional years. I wasn't able to take the sacrament for a few weeks. I don't know what has happened to him since, because staying in contact was just too painful. Part of me will always love him.

Posted by: BirdUncaged ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 02:38AM

My husband's mission president began an affair while he was mission president. It wasn't discovered until he returned home. He was a self-righteous prick to all the missionaries. Of course he was ex-ed. His wife stayed with him and he has rejoined the one true church.

Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 05:44AM

"...he just felt trapped by his life and wanted to escape it into something real."

I think he felt trapped in his life and wanted to escape into a fantasy world. He was fanticizing what life would be like with a different partner, in a different place, etc. Many of us engage in "if only" scenarios, but - if we ever act on it - we become rudely awakened by reality. The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.

Been there, done that...

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 02:43AM

May I ask why?

Do you have feelings about people who break the word of wisdom?

Why not tell us a little about yourself and why you want the information.

Are you gossip seeking? Wanting first person accounts? Writing a book? Looking for people to submit for excommunication?

Give a little to get.

Anagrammy
(momo)

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 10:24AM

*wink*

Posted by: eunice ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 02:51AM

Not sure is this counts. A few short months into serving their mission in Central America, something caused the sh*t to hit the fan and my MIL & FIL were sent home within 24 hours of it. He was immediately & secretly excommunicated (only children and spouse informed) for life long struggles with same sex attraction..."feelings only, never acted on them" Yeah right. He was a retired church employee (position took him all over North America) and three time stake president in two different regions of the country. Funny how he was excommunicated for over 7 years before he could be re-baptized but he still held minor church callings during that time. His re-baptism was also kept hush hush.

Posted by: johnstockton12 ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 03:33AM

Oh yeah I need all the info I can get annagrammy. I'd love to go tell my good friend Tommy M all the good sh#%t I found on rfm. can't believe you discovered me! Darn... I thought for sure no one would figure me out as the secret mormon spy... You caught me annagramy. Thanks for blowing my cover. And I guess to answer your question I feel that people who break the WOW should have their children, priesthood, and jobs taken away at least. The atonement of jebus wouldn't even cover their sins for breaking the wow. Only blood atonement would.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 04:54AM

by meeting and pursuing a new hottie in the ward and eventually running off with her to a far-away part of the country. (He abandoned a wife and family.)

I didn't know the guy personally - he left just before I got there - the the ward was still buzzing about it when I got there, so I know it was true. His wife was a very nice lady and they had four or five adult kids - two boys who were nearly-identical twins and who both served missions in Japan.

I got to be good friends with the "boys" (grown men by then, of course) and their wives. They had a great attitude about their father's misdeeds: They felt that HE carried the guilt and the shame; they hadn't had any part in it and weren't about to let it discolor their own lives. They had happy marriages and great kids.

Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 05:34AM

This isn't particularly 'shocking' but I think it is more typical of what goes on behind closed doors.

In my ex's home ward, one of the bishopric counselors was 'counseling' one of the member women a little too closely. They kept meeting regularly for their sessions, and it became apparent to the woman's husband (also a member) that something inappropriate was going on. The husband went to the bishop and discussed what was going on. The bishop became incensed that the husband would even suspect any hanky-panky was going on, and told husband to go home and repent for even suspecting that one of the lord's annointed would be inappropriate in any way. The 'counseling' continued unabated, and the husband again went to the bishop. The bishop then threatened the husband with excommunication for his unfounded fears. The husband was so unnerved by this that he actually moved outside of that ward's boundaries so the bishop couldn't ex him.

It inevitably came out that there was an affair going on, and the counselor was excommunicated (I'm not sure whether the 'wife' was or not). Both the counselor and the 'wife' were then divorced from their respective spouses, and they married each other (I don't know if the bishop ever apologized to the husband, but I doubt it).

This was all told to me while the ex-counselor (who rejoined the church) and his new wife were sitting calmly in church, enjoying their new life together - in the same ward that they were in before.

Posted by: Jethro Tull ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 11:12AM

My brother was bishop in his ward. However, whenever he visited Utah (very often), he would look up old girlfriends and have sex with them. So, he had 4-5 affairs going on at once.

Eventually, one of the women confessed to her bishop, so my brother's Stake Pres. got a call. Needless to say, my brother had to come clean and got ex'd.

He remained married and was forced by his wife to re-join the cult.

Posted by: heretic ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 12:02PM

Does this count? The following post was made on 7/25/12 by "European View" 07:15AM

My OH was a convert in his late teens. He worked hard and saved hard so he could go on a mission, which he did at age 23.

Here in the UK meetings with 'apostles'are rare indeed, so he was very excited and prepared to be spiritually uplifted when he heard Jeff Holland was coming to meet the London England missionaries. This was right at the beginning of his mission.

To his extreme disappointment and cog dis, Holland spent the whole of his time with the missionaries screaming and ranting at them for not keeping the rules. He paced up and down, spittle flying from his mouth as he red-faced, shrieked and threatened them with eternal consequences. He had really lost control.

An 'Apostle' no less, a representative of The Lord Jesus! And he was carrying on like this, with no recognition of these kids' sacrifice and faith. OK, it was misplaced sacrifice and faith, but that isn't the point.

Somehow my OH completed his mission, despite this alarming example of unChristlike behaviour from one of the 'Special Witnesses'.

Posted by: heretic ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 12:06PM

Just one more. The following post was made on 7/25/12 by "Smiling Dog" 01:52PM

I've had personal experience with an asshat member of the apostles; L. Tom Perry. Here is my experience, copied from a post last year:

I witnessed Perry throw a crazy, hissy, tantrum once and can't stand the sight of him since.

I was working for Zion's bank in the early nineties as a teller. It was at the main office near the COB. It was a church payday and therefore, very busy. At lunch hundreds of COB employees would come and cash their paychecks. The line was out the door and down the block. We were down two people and the manager was even helping out from her desk.

Anyway, I'm heading to the vault to get some more cash when all of a sudden some lunatic is screaming at the top of his lungs, "Do you know who I am?". He must have screamed this 10 times. He then started demanding to speak with "Simmons" (the CEO at the time). He couldn't believe that he would have to wait in line. The manager had to run out and sit him down and personally help him. He then left in a huff.

Well, it was L. Tom Perry. He threw the biggest tantrum I have ever seen in front of at least 30 people whining about how an apostle has to wait in line. Asshat. Everyone looks sweet in GC. Real life is very different.

Posted by: Demon of Kolob ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 12:35PM

Heretic If you worked closely with the GAs, you find this type of behavior is not that rare or uncommon. The halls of the COB are loaded with stories like these.
When the GA's and Asspostals start believing the Cult's hype about it leads to super inflated ego's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2014 12:37PM by Demon of Kolob.

Posted by: knighterrant ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 12:53PM

A sp over the butte montana stake was arrested for soliciting sex from a 13 year old 10 to 15 years ago. He was caught in an online sting and was the current Stake president at the time. Earlier in Butte, a bishop and primary president were busted for child molestation which was happening during church.
On a different note, Elder Scott came to our mission. During a Q&A my mission presidents wife told a harmless joke and Elder Scott stared her down. I thought it very odd at the time and rather rude. It seems his sense of humor was limited to only the jokes he told. I can't help but think of Alf every time I see him.

Posted by: schlock ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 12:51PM

I've got a good one - talked about it before here - seems to make some uncomfortable. Nevertheless, it happened just the same.

My now-ex had an affair with a former stake president, current speaker of the house (in utah), 28 years her senior, well connected to several GAs, political aparatchik and dairy farmer Mel Brown.

They both divorced, and married each other. They have since had 2 children together.

Yea, we (meaning all of us involved we) were in the local papers for a period of time. Very embarrassing and depressing and angering and confusing times.

Plus I was on the tail end of my disillusionment with the church during the playing out of the above scandal.

Now I can laugh and poke fun and be glad that era of my life is over. But then: Not happy times.

http://home.conservativebabylon.com/2008/03/08/mel-brown-r-coalville-ut/

http://www.mormonstoday.com/000305/D2Brown01.shtml

(Sad story about Mel Brown's ex, she died of cancer shortly after the divorce was finalized.)

Posted by: Annonperson1 ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 01:24PM

This guy was a counselor in a Stake Presidency at the time of this incident.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/947726/Patterson-resigns-as-WV-manager.html?pg=all

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 01:40PM

I was in a ward that had a former bishop in it who had been caught child molesting.

Of course, he lost his calling, was exed, divorced and had much of his life destroyed.

His pattern was to be re-baptized, attend church for awhile, then disappear for a time because he had re-offended and been put back behind bars.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.