Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 02:40AM

When Leno was on, I was one of the (Dreaded) channel-switchers between Leno & Letterman.

I didn't want to miss Leno's 'Headlines' or 'Universal Photo Booth'.

also, I most always wanted to catch Dave's Top Ten.

now with Leno gone... who have the other late-nighters gone with? I'll tell mine after a few of you'all have given your take on this 'dilemna', ha ha

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2014 02:40AM by guynoirprivateeye.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 03:23AM

Hah, yeah. Jay Leno's Headlines was my favorite skit of the week.

Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 03:59AM

I don't watch TV anymore but when I am at a friend's....I have to say Letterman is still better than the new ones. I'll give Craig 2nd place.

Posted by: johnnyboy ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 04:33AM

no offense but late night shows are for old people ;)

even the jimmy fallons of the world are not really interesting to young people.

the late night talk show paradigm has been dead for some time.

Howerd stern is where the stars go to get traction now because he gets them to actually talk and open up about real life.

Posted by: Sandie* ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 04:48AM

I'm on my feet the majority of my waking hours; hence, my inability to stay awake during late-night talk shows nor movies for that matter. I watch one hour of news or a 1.5-hour movie with DH daily, but that is the extent of TV watching. My preference is being outside or engaged doing some type of hobby.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 05:15AM

Fallon is my default, but I also check out Letterman or Kimmel on occasion. I watch Conan every now and then as well.

Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 05:20AM

It took a few years before Leno was able to match Johnny Carson's level of expertise and skills, but he did well after that. Headlines was one of my favorites.

I don't see Jimmy Fallon ever reaching that skill level - he just isn't funny to me. I think the ratings will slide to mediocrity.

I don't understand why NBC (or whoever it is in NBC) wanted Jay out so badly, especially after the fiasco of trying to replace him several years ago. Jay was pulling in the audience, but they still wanted him out. Perhaps it was a personality thing...

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 05:28AM

I never understood it either. I think that NBC was afraid that Jimmy Kimmel is pulling away the younger audience. The network wanted a younger host. But I thought that they treated Leno disgracefully. He was still going strong.

I think that Fallon has improved a whole lot since he first went onto the late-late night show. He was really rough when he started.

Posted by: johnnyboy ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 05:28AM

I think it had to do with their miscalculation that jimmy would bring younger viewers to the slot.

they don't realize that young viewers don't watch tv anymore... and if they do, they usually are DVR'ing it, torrenting it, reading about it later on a blog.

Kids don't watch traditional tv. they have iPhones and computers and iPads and video games.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 08:32AM

All of my friends pay for streaming services (netflix, hulu, etc), and none of them are paying for cable. We want tv without the bullshit of being tied down to specific time slots and excessive commercials. People are moving away from the old model, and if TV shows aren't willing to shift with the trend, then they will get lost in the shuffle.

Posted by: thinker ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 08:59AM

We use streaming services also, and the commercials are starting to get annoying even on THOSE

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 09:05AM

My late night favorite is Craig Ferguson. Funny, funny man.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Ferguson

Before his career as a late-night television host, Ferguson was best known in the United States for his role as the office boss, Nigel Wick, on The Drew Carey Show (1996–2003)

His autobiography is on amazon. American on Purpose: The Improbable Adventures of an Unlikely Patriot

Guess I should read it.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 11:03AM

O.K., now mine....

I agree that Leno had excellent timing & writers/staff. He was better at the topical monologue.

However.(to me anyway) Letterman was more cerebral.

Craig F? never in my book. that skeleton Thing? Awful!

I'm now with Dave L until my eyes close. Pet & Human tricks: ++++

I think I liked DL's interviews with guests better also.

Posted by: mondaymorning ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 11:43AM

Couldn't stand Leno. I prefer Conan, but will sometimes turn to Fallon after Conan's Monologue and bit.

I'm also under 30 so I imagine that is a big indicator as to why I didn't think Leno was funny.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: March 08, 2014 03:35AM

I'm 51, and I hated Leno. I like Fallon the best, but I've always had a soft spot for Letterman. Conan has never done it for me, although he's my age. I never understood the appeal of Johnny Carson, either, but my parents loved him.

After saying all of this, know that I don't have cable but watch bits and pieces of each online to catch up when I have time.

Ooh, just realized, I also love Jon Stewart, Ellen, and handle Stephen Colbert - sometimes I like him, sometimes, not. Depends.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2014 03:36AM by toto.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 02:47PM

Give me Jon Stewart or death. And Conan when somebody really interesting is on.

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 03:17PM

Stewart/Colbert FTW!

I would rank the others in this order:

Ferguson
Conan
Kimmel
Letterman
Fallon
Meyers

Posted by: joan99 ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 03:13PM

I actually have switched to Kimmel. I like Fallon in some ways but I do not like his bits. I really don't see the charm of thank you notes. I miss headlines and jaywalking. I think Fallon is more like a variety show. I like Kimmel's monologue and delivery and I like Guillermo.

Posted by: Loins of fire ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 03:24PM

Craig F. - DVRed every night
Conan - DVRed every night though mostly for his opening 20 minutes.
Used to watch Letterman, went to the show in NY, but have kind of lost interest in the last few years.
Don't care for Kimmel at all
Find Fallon funny for skits but don't like his interviews (much like Conan)

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 05:56PM

Sadly, I can't stay up until midnight to watch, because I work for a living.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.