Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 03:34PM

Are your wards growing bigger or smaller, and why.

My ward is growing smaller and smaller. A large part of that is due to families moving out. No new converts in a very long time. I can think of one convert that has stuck in the last 3 years. Children are growing up and leaving the church. In my family of 5 kids, only one is active. I can't think of a single family where the children are all active. In the the other ward that shares our building, though, it's getting bigger and bigger, mostly because families from Utah and Ca are moving in.

I predict the church will hit a plateau, then slowly start to wane over time. What's happening to the growth in your wards?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 04:11PM

Suburban Indianapolis. Mostly all of it is move-ins from out west. A few converts but negligible as far as making the ward larger. Ward may split soon.

Posted by: johnnyboy ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 04:31PM

huge growth in north dallas. ALL transplants from UTAH

Posted by: zenmaster ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 04:50PM

Crazy to hear of anything resembling growth in Dallas (even though it's only transplants). I was there recently and remember reading about the controversy when the Dallas Temple was built. LDS inc. had to agree to basically hide it from plain sight before it was approved to be built. I remember going to find it so I could take a picture and I almost drove by it before I saw it. It's tucked away very nicely in a really nice neighborhood.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: March 09, 2014 01:51PM

Oh no! I've been looking at North Dallas. (DH may accept a job) Campbell and Coit area. This part of North Dallas?

Posted by: wellsville ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 04:45PM

Is the lowering of missionary age increasing growth in your wards.

Posted by: roland ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 04:59PM

Happy Valley ward, Australia. Used to be about 150 people each week, we even had to open the annexe to accommodate. Between move outs (it is a crap ward and quite a number moved out because socially and spiritually it is retarded) lack of converts and inactives (including my 5 family members and numerous YSA and adults) they are now down to about 70-80 per week in the last year.

Posted by: sistertwister ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 05:33PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2014 12:16AM by sistertwister.

Posted by: Stormin ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 11:13PM

Only converts were kids in last 5 years. Older ward ----- and it is dying because the people are aging and few active younger move ins. Seems to me the younger people that do move in are less likely to be super active or have leadership potential so it will continue to get interesting. These old people will eventually say enough is enough on the cleaning and church assignments. Last few months a few heart attacks and people just becoming less able to do things. I tried to set a good example, learn the truth, and get out a few wanted to know why and I told them very bluntly, but no followers as far as I know.

Posted by: Anonanonanonanon ( )
Date: March 08, 2014 07:12AM

200 on the list, 80 on a Sunday

Posted by: reuben nli ( )
Date: March 08, 2014 07:45AM

Ive been out for over a decade, but from what I can see the average Mormon family has dropped from 5-6 kids in the 70s to 3-4 kids now.

that's a huge deceleration in Mormon population growth. (lets be honest, USA Mormon numbers grow through breeding, not by conversion).

Figure that on average each TBM house hold has at least on child who leaves the church the replacement rate in real terms for a modern family drops from 3-4 kids to 2-3 kids. This means Mormons will really see a huge slow down in growth in the next couple of decades.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: March 08, 2014 05:36PM

From what I can since my TBM family moved to southern Idaho in 2003. We have the same number of wards and the same number of ward buildings!! The only big thing built in our area was the Twin Falls Temple and a stake center or chapel besides it. Other than that I don't see any growth in our area at all!! More likely shrinkage!!

Posted by: awakenprincess ( )
Date: March 08, 2014 10:10PM

The ward that I used to go to, just grew its size by three times (through the merging of two other wards). This is hastening the work as its best.

Posted by: doug wallace ( )
Date: March 09, 2014 05:52PM

With 1 year retention rates dipping below 30%, that means more than 70 converts our of 100 are exmormon by the end of the next year. I told missionaries that one time and they were very deflated and sad. Sorry. Oops?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.