Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 09, 2014 11:22AM

No updated WoW for drugs, fast food, and processed foods

No update for the theological status of polygamy or gay marriage

Nothing on the temple aspect of human life as the information age has exposed all the details of the changing temple ceremony there remains nothing in scripture to support that temple worship is even something doctrinal

No revelations on guidance in "The Last Days" and nothing being predicted at all

How's The Mormon Prophet doing in his job of providing "continuing revelations" for these the last days of humanity before Jesus comes back?

Crickets.

Oh, but follow The Prophet, he knows the way. We have continuing revelation and our leaders are prophets, seers, and revelators.

No, they are former judges, lawyers, and business men who have no clue outside corporate policies and regulations in knowing the way. But maybe all that land in Florida will feed the hungry when the Mormon apocalypse happens?

April 2014 will not bring any "continuing revelations" from prophets, seers, and revelators.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: March 09, 2014 11:27AM

SLC has got to have a Gypsy-looking woman with a Crystal Ball somewhere in town.

The 15 suits could use a little help...

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 09, 2014 11:29AM

As the world gets more complex and more ethical dilemmas arise, the Mormon prophet has fewer and fewer answers. It's all shrinking down to just "Obey."

Posted by: Rootbeerbelly ( )
Date: March 09, 2014 11:40AM

The fact that nearly every recent improvement to the human condition came from the wicked world, and not from the mouthpiece of god, is damning. It means either god doesn't care about his children, god does care but is impotent to do anything about it, or the Q15 are just old white guys in suits with no special access to knowledge. Germ theory, antibiotics, synthetic fertilizers, mechanized mass production, democratic nation states, global declines in racism, birth control, and mass literacy have all vastly improved human life on earth. None of these came from the church. If the church were true and we had access to infinite knowledge, we should be living in a veritable golden age utopia by now.

Posted by: Mark ( )
Date: March 10, 2014 02:02PM

Well said!

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: March 09, 2014 02:16PM

I asked my TBM brother (Institute director) for the last time
a prophet CLAIMED to be giving something to the Church that he
got from God. I wasn't asking for any predictions, just a
prophet to actually act in the capacity of a prophet.

The best he could come up with was Ezra Taft Benson saying the
Lord had told him to tell the members to read the BOM. Howard
W. Hunter, Gordon B. Hinckley, and so far, Thomas S. Monson
never mentioned that God had told them anything in their
capacity as prophet, to relay to the Church.

The Church was started by wild-eyed visionaries. Now it is
run by hard-nosed businessmen.

Can anyone name any time in the past 100 years that a Mormon
"prophet, seer and revelator" has claimed an actual vision or
even an audible voice from a heavenly being?

They discuss, debate, ponder, pray, organize committees, do
studies, consult PR professionals, do pilot programs, and then
whatever thoughts are in their mind after that, they attribute
to "the still small voice." Revelation these days goes from
the GAs to God, not the other way around.

A perfect example of this was given by Dallin H Oaks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93XqR6IOcAw&t=2m29s

"When I was called to the Quorum of the Twelve, I was assigned
to the missionary council. And the chairman was Elder Packer,
and Elder McConkie and Elder Faust were the other two members,
so I was the junior in that situation, and Elder McConkie took
me as a younger brother to teach me how to assign
missionaries. So I asked him, after three or four weeks,
'Elder McConkie, how do you know where to send them?' And he
said, 'You’re the servant of the Lord, and your action is the
Lord’s action. You study it out in your mind and you assign
them, and they’re assigned by the Lord.'”

As was pointed out elsewhere on this board, this is an APOSTLE
asking another apostle how to receive inspiration. The answer
he gets is that you don't--you just arrogantly assume that
YOUR decisions must be God's decisions.

From "On This Day in Mormon History:"

Mar 25, 1950 - President George Albert Smith writes, "I have
not seen the Father or the Son, neither have I heard their
voices in an audible way, but I have felt their presence and
have enjoyed the whispering of the Still Small Voice that
comes from them, the result of which has given me a testimony
of the truth."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2014 02:53PM by baura.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: March 09, 2014 02:59PM

And what's interesting is that anything NEW coming from the church really has nothing to do with new knowledge or doctrine; its simply new new policies or procedures about how to run the organization, like what age missionaries should be or how often or how long meetings should be run, or where to build a new temple. Its all operational stuff. If there is anything new regarding doctrine its to eliminate it.

Posted by: Brambleberry ( )
Date: March 10, 2014 02:25PM

I am inactive as I have mentioned…my testimony has been fairly shattered…I am in transition…and confused…there are many things I have issues with which I see has a breech of human rights.
But I loved President Hinckley. I recall his words regarding the recurrent dreams he had about Joseph and the 7 yrs of good harvest and 7 years of bad, and warning us to prepare our storage…as I see the economic climate and the catastrophes with floods etc I can see he had this foresight…having said that I doubt the people in the south of England found their soaked perished food storage much use!

Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: March 09, 2014 03:07PM

TSCC is a giant ponzi scheme, run like a corporation, with a church as a storefront.

Not mine, I got that from someone here a few months ago, but it fits perfectly.

Posted by: schlock ( )
Date: March 09, 2014 04:50PM

Continuing revelation infers that there was, indeed, real revelation from sky-daddy to actual human beings at some point in the past.

So, for me, since pretty much nothing of any statistical relevance has ever been revealed, ever, through the annuls of human history.

Well...

(I just happen to believe that people used magical thinking to cope, and still do, and since it seems to be wired into the human genetic code, probably will not go away, for a while anyway.)

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: March 09, 2014 06:49PM

'You’re the servant of the Lord, and your action is the
Lord’s action. You study it out in your mind and you assign
them, and they’re assigned by the Lord.'

Like I told my bishop, the very last time we talked: "You can't tell God what to do." He said he was ordained to be a "judge in Zion." It struck me, that Mormonism is not of God. Mormons give themselves power. This, IMO, is blasphemy.

Date: March 10, 2014 01:59PM

forestpal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 'You’re the servant of the Lord, and your action
> is the
> Lord’s action. You study it out in your mind and
> you assign
> them, and they’re assigned by the Lord.'

It is all rolled up in this "scripture."

"I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say"

It reads like a policy.

You’re the servant of the Lord, and your action is bound to be the Lord’s action. You did what he other servants said to do and they were The Lord's actions and now you are "bound to be the Lord."

Just ask anyone with The Second Anointing...

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/82.10?lang=eng#9
" 8 And again, I say unto you, I give unto you a new commandment, that you may understand my will concerning you;

9 Or, in other words, I give unto you directions how you may act before me, that it may turn to you for your salvation.

10 I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise."

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: March 10, 2014 02:07PM

I think the question should be flipped:

"How many things prove there IS 'continuing revelation' today?"

And I think the answer is "nothing."

Date: March 18, 2014 02:54PM

left4good Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "How many things prove there IS 'continuing
> revelation' today?"

http://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusives/2013/10/our-one-sided-openness-to-continuing-revelation
"Our Church leaders do not say only “here is the policy, just follow it”; they provide us a view of the world and our place in it that helps make sense of different roles for men and women, that helps us see how the difference is good."

Apparently, for this Mormon continuing revelation is confirmation of old revelation in light of new definitions of good.

Date: March 18, 2014 03:03PM

From LDS Inc.

Things proving there is continuing revelations today.
https://www.lds.org/manual/doctrine-and-covenants-and-church-history-gospel-doctrine-teachers-manual/lesson-42-continuing-revelation-to-latter-day-prophets?lang=eng
1. Church correlation

2. Revelation extending the blessings of the priesthood to every worthy male member of the Church

3. Publication of new Latter-day Saint editions of the scriptures

4. Additional Quorums of the Seventy

Posted by: Toasted_bread ( )
Date: March 18, 2014 05:39PM

Seriously, that is the only thing the church could come up with? The four items listed above are not 'revelation' but are corporate policy changes.

You think if the leaders of the church were really the mouthpiece for God, they could get better revelation than "expanding the quorum of the 70". OMG. How bout something like predicting earthquakes, finding a cure for cancer, discovering ways to clean up world-wide polution and prevent all the wars.

I sleep better at night knowing that all the thousands in tithing I paid and countless hours I spent 'volunteering' at church were to support wealthy, entitled prophets and apostles and all their hanger-on relatives so they could give us such amazing revelations as 'correlation" and only wearing one set of earings. -ugh-

Date: March 18, 2014 06:13PM

That is it. No mention of temple changes. They could claim those but not publicly, because you know they are too sacred.

How about The Proclamation on The Family? Why is their fight against Gay Marriage not "revelatory"?

Or how about one updating The Word of Wisdom? I bet God might have a thought about his creation's digestion in light of all the artificial stuff being created "by man." Many religions get into dieting and digestion.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: March 18, 2014 06:39PM

TSM

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: March 18, 2014 06:42PM

Nothing new about pot curing some kinds of epilepsy.....RIGHT, like that would ever happen. MORON CHURCH FROM HELL!

If they were the ear of god, why don't they tell the people of the world where that missing plane is.....GOTCHA!
Give those poor overworked newspeople a break and tell us dammit.

Where is that F*CKING seer stone when they need it? Imagine how famous they'd be if they told the world this? Millions would join TSCC just for being so nice to find the plane.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2014 06:46PM by verilyverily.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 18, 2014 06:51PM

From the "Race and the Priesthood" essay:
"Nevertheless, given the long history of withholding the priesthood from men of black African descent, Church leaders believed that a revelation from God was needed to alter the policy, and they made ongoing efforts to understand what should be done. After praying for guidance, President McKay did not feel impressed to lift the ban."

So...McKay prayed for guidance, and he didn't feel a change was in order. That only leaves two possible explanations, either God was fine with excluding some of his children from temple blessings and the priesthood, or David O. McKay wasn't really a prophet.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 18, 2014 08:19PM

Ah, but have you heard TBM's talk about the "revelation" banning polygamy and the "revelation" about the priesthood ban?

At the time they were not called revelations, but no one is stopping them from becoming such as time goes by.....

Voila'! Modern revelations!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 18, 2014 08:26PM

and I don't mean the ones in Boyd's kidneys.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.